The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
chaserider wrote:
Have any of you guys got some experience from dabbeling with carbonfiber at home? Or at work for that matter?

I am making a carbon fiber front section for my TRG. Pictures are up in my gallery if you want to look.

Im open to any suggestions or tips, if you have them?

Man, I've done some carbon frame repair, and a little carbon molding for car parts, but they were both hack jobs, and function over form. I'll be watching your project though, and interested in learning something!

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 at 0:09 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:

Man, I've done some carbon frame repair, and a little carbon molding for car parts, but they were both hack jobs, and function over form. I'll be watching your project though, and interested in learning something!

Im not sure I am in the position to teach anyone anything. I am pretty much winging it as I go along. Part of me is surprised I managed to get this project this far. But then again, no huge mistakes so far, and it is acctually starting to look like I hoped it would. The hardest part will be the final layer of carbonfiber cloth and the final finish. I guess I will be sanding and putting on varnish for aeons to come.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 4:25 Quote
It is acctually starting to look like a front section of a TRG.

It is starting to come together.

Since this picture was taken, I have sanded it down a bit more, to even out the edges and overall shape.

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 17:38 Quote
Picked up some ammo yesterday and today, since all the cool kids are doing it. 100 rounds 10MM yesterday, 100 rounds of 10MM/.22LR/WMR, and 20 rounds 460. Kinda wish I had checked the 460 price beforehand. $76 bucks, plus tax. But can’t complain about 360 grain hard cast Buffalo Bore monsters being almost $4/round. Those babies will be for deep in bear country only. Not even going to bother shooting one for practice.

I guess they’ll be good for if the world goes all mad max and I need to shoot out an engine block, too.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 4:05 Quote
So, I was at the best competition in Sweden this past saturday. It started out pretty rough, but ended pretty well.
I scored 4/6 hits on steel at 1000 meters using my TRG22 with handloads with 175 grain Scenar L. It was awesome!

Me shooting steel at 1000 meters. Scored 4 6 hits. Making shit look good sporting jeans and hawaii t-shirt.

Me shooting steel at 1000 meters. Scored 4 6 hits.

Me shooting steel at 1000 meters. Scored 4 6 hits.

Oh, and I would have used other pants, but I forgott them at home and the competition is a measly 7 hour drive away (one way). So, jeans it was.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 6:39 Quote
Lol tactical street clothes haha

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 6:48 Quote
cougar797 wrote:

If you are anything else than military personal, using camo is frowned upon. If you use 5.11 clothing you will be deemed as a poser. So regular hiking clothing is prefered and what I usually would use, if it was not left at home. :-)

The hawaii shirt is operator as f*ck (not).

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
chaserider wrote:
cougar797 wrote:

If you are anything else than military personal, using camo is frowned upon. If you use 5.11 clothing you will be deemed as a poser. So regular hiking clothing is prefered and what I usually would use, if it was not left at home. :-)

The hawaii shirt is operator as f*ck (not).

The shirt is perfect dude. Most of my long gun shooting happens in jeans and an old T-shirt (aka we finished farm type chores and can go shoot now) type clothes.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 8:58 Quote
cougar797 wrote:

The shirt is perfect dude. Most of my long gun shooting happens in jeans and an old T-shirt (aka we finished farm type chores and can go shoot now) type clothes.

The shirt is the only shirt I have used at that competition 3 years in a row now. The pants however, is a different story.
I wear jeans all the time on a day to day basis. But to a competition were we have to walk about 14.5 miles with everything needed to shoot 15 stages no matter what. The jeans are less then ideal.
When we came to the third station of the day, the sky opened up and it was pouring rain. We were all soked to the core and it sucked. Walking around in soaked jeans is not the most comfortable, not at all. And walking that distance with soaked feet is a good recepie for disaster, but on we went. About another 2 hours in, the sun came out and we did our best to dry up and air out, and it worked.
We were out on the first stage of the day at 06:10 and back in camp at 19:50. Sore as hell! But happy overall.
I placed 35 out of 63. My friend who I went there with placed 25th and one of his work buddys took 3 place. So while I probably could do a bit better, I still shot better than last years edition of this competition, and scored hits at 1000 meters. So I am happy with that.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
I couldn't care less if people think I'm a poser for wearing 5.11 or camouflage clothing. It's all about how you perform. I've got a pair of 5.11 boots, best I've ever used. They sell to civilians, so civilians should be expected to use their stuff.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
It's probably a cultural thing in Sweden, more than in the US.

5.11 is a fairly respected brand in US I think. With that said, I typically end up wearing Prana hiking pants and La Sportiva approach shoes to shoot in for matches. I need to get out to a match soon, I havent shot one yet this year.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 12:12 Quote
seraph wrote:
I couldn't care less if people think I'm a poser for wearing 5.11 or camouflage clothing. It's all about how you perform. I've got a pair of 5.11 boots, best I've ever used. They sell to civilians, so civilians should be expected to use their stuff.

I dont really doubt the quality of 5.11 clothing. They have just got stuck with a bad rep in Sweden, from beeing used by every 50 some odd years, semi-fat, corporate weekend warrior guy who thinks they are hot shit when they show up at the range with lycra shirts and IPSC belts. Usually have very expensive gear and cant use half of it, you know the guys im talking about. I am sure they are seen in the states too?

I personally have some Härkila hiking/hunting gear to use, and Belleville tanker boots which are noting short of awesome.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
I don't buy tactical apparel, only accessories. Dickies pants work perfectly well, as do regular outdoors jackets. I have a Cannae plate carrier with Esstac mag carriers and a Cannae Level III plate. No point in buying shit gear even if you think you'll never need to use it.

Posted: Sep 11, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
Expensive week, gun wise for me. Monday, I picked up 3 Glock G20 mags for my G29, and bought 3 boxes of polymer tipped ammo for my AK. Today, I passed through my home town, as I had to get my flu shot and a TB test there. Went to the store afterwords, and got 200 rounds of 9MM target loads, and 120 hollow points for my 45 GAP. Haven’t been able to find 10mm Or 9MM for a while in Jackson, except for in hard cast. Already own a box of hard cast for my 10mm, and for a 9MM, that’s just expensive as shit target rounds. So all said and done, spent about $450 on gun shit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015950
Mobile Version of Website