how can you increase rear wheel travel?

PB Forum :: Downhill
how can you increase rear wheel travel?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
I've seen people taking about increasing rear travel? Does this mean buying a new pivot? and if so, from where?

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 14:42 Quote
You need to be alot more specific dude. And the way...get a new bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 14:48 Quote
excellent thread my friend. simple answer is you can't (most of the time) we're gonna need alot more info of you too give you an answer

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 15:32 Quote
If your bike has adjustable rear wheel travel, then yes you can increase travel depending on which setting you have it in. If it does not, then trying to modify your linkage or placing a different sized shock can have consequences. Some bikes can do it safely(removing rubber stopper on demo7's) but everyone advises not do modify your bike for extra travel.

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 15:39 Quote
The only exp in this that I can add is based on what I did with a Trek Session 7. It came with a 2.5" stroke shock giving 178mm of travel and when fully compressed left around 1 & 1/2" of space between the wheel and front triangle, also there was around 1cm of space between the top of the shock and the top tube. So I had a spare shock in roughly the same size except it was a 2.75" stroke. The outcome was that when fully compressed I was left with a 1/2" gap between the wheel and front triangle so I guess I got around 190mm - 200mm travel out of it.. So a increase of 20mm at the most.
The drawback is that I hardly noticed the extra travel, and thats down to the frame design. Because I pushed the swingarm more than it was designed to go there was no real "vertical" travel increase as the axle path went forwards too much. Save time and effort and buy a frame designed for the amount of travel you would like, only then can you be sure it will perform correctly.

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 15:51 Quote
The amount of travel the bike has is mostly based on design and the ratio the design uses, not the rear shock. Simply increasing the rear shock wont do much but break your bike.

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 16:41 Quote
mtbrider71 wrote:
The amount of travel the bike has is mostly based on design and the ratio the design uses, not the rear shock. Simply increasing the rear shock wont do much but break your bike.

If you can fit a shock with the same i2i but with more stroke, then you get more travel.

Your frame or your shock can limit travel.

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 16:43 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
mtbrider71 wrote:

If you can fit a shock with the same i2i but with more stroke, then you get more travel. It can be your shock or your frame that limit travel, you can't just cancel one out of the equation. Not all bikes are the same.

I didn't say it wasn't based on shock at all. Obviously you will get more travel but the bike is designed for a specific shock, to put a diffirent one on would be stupid. Unless of course it can accept either.

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 at 2:20 Quote
Just for a example, here's my session 7 with a 5th Element 2.75" on the back and Boxxers on the front, 8" travel. This was about 4 years ago, doing this will void the warranty..
photo

However, this is with a 2.5" DHX5 giving 178mm travel and Fox 40's set at 7" which doesn't void warranty. To be honest I have only felt like I needed the extra inch when I was setting the bike up softer for muddy/harsh conditions..
photo

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 at 2:46 Quote
depends on your bike,betd and dangerboy i think did extended plates for the kona line of bikes,all it did was increase the leverage ratio,the problem there is though that the shock needs revalving and a stiffer spring fitting.

instead of increasing the travel save and buy a decent shock with adjustable compression,that way you will be able to control the travel.

why none of the others mentioned this im not sure but its the best way around it.

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 at 14:24 Quote
marquis wrote:
depends on your bike,betd and dangerboy i think did extended plates for the kona line of bikes,all it did was increase the leverage ratio,the problem there is though that the shock needs revalving and a stiffer spring fitting.

instead of increasing the travel save and buy a decent shock with adjustable compression,that way you will be able to control the travel.

why none of the others mentioned this im not sure but its the best way around it.

I have a bighit 2 2007 by the way. The reason i was wondering about increasing the rear travel is becuase im thinking about getting boxxers on the front. i have 7.5" on the back and id like to have an equal ratio of travel.

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 at 14:31 Quote
MRLONDON wrote:
marquis wrote:

I have a bighit 2 2007 by the way. The reason i was wondering about increasing the rear travel is becuase im thinking about getting boxxers on the front. i have 7.5" on the back and id like to have an equal ratio of travel.

All you have to do is replace the 2.5" shock with a 2.75" shock with the same eye to eye, and you will have 8" on the back. I have a Big Hit 3 with 8" on the back, i'll check the exact measurements you need...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008394
Mobile Version of Website