Should I drink protein shakes?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Should I drink protein shakes?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 17:16 Quote
I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and im just wondering if i should take extra protein
like a protein shake or somthing
thanks

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 17:22 Quote
Well there not dangerous, shouldn't see why not, i know someone who drinks 1 a day and is pretty ripped. Along with a balanced diet there perfectly safe.

If your young and still growing it can cause overreaction within the immune system
Liver dysfunction due to increased toxic residues Loss of bone density and your not still growing so it should be fine make sure you are not lifting too much as well because that could lead to skeletal, tendon and ligament damage if your bones have not stopped lengthening.

As long as you don't start the rockin' roids you should be ok!

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 17:52 Quote
snaple wrote:
Well there not dangerous, shouldn't see why not, i know someone who drinks 1 a day and is pretty ripped. Along with a balanced diet there perfectly safe.

If your young and still growing it can cause overreaction within the immune system
Liver dysfunction due to increased toxic residues Loss of bone density and your not still growing so it should be fine make sure you are not lifting too much as well because that could lead to skeletal, tendon and ligament damage if your bones have not stopped lengthening.

As long as you don't start the rockin' roids you should be ok!

i am actually 16 so ya im still growing , not 27

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 at 18:31 Quote
my good friend works out quite a bit. he drank protein shakes for a while and I noticed he bulked up much quicker

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 11:53 Quote
dirtjumper183 wrote:
bump
Dont bump untill it has been 24 hours after last post, but anyway personally if you are going to take shakes dont lift too much, I would recommend

1) Start splitting it up [like chest/triceps one day and shoulder/back/bi's the next] and doing heavier weight (if possible). This will help you put on the muscle mass.

2) Get this stuff called MaxPro from MaxMuscle. All it is is very good quality protein, which is a completely natural substance essential to muscle recovery & growth (as you know). Not only does MaxPro work the best, but it doesn't taste like crap, either. It's actually really tasty..

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 12:46 Quote
dirtjumper183 wrote:
I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and im just wondering if i should take extra protein
thanks

your better searching google to find this kinda stuff out as people on here don't know what they're talking about. Stick to proper sites, heres one that might help a bit http://www.menshealth.co.uk/chatroom/topic/334829 remember theyre are different types and there quite expensive.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 12:58 Quote
stinkystu wrote:
dirtjumper183 wrote:
thanks

your better searching google to find this kinda stuff out as people on here don't know what they're talking about. Stick to proper sites, heres one that might help a bit http://www.menshealth.co.uk/chatroom/topic/334829 remember theyre are different types and there quite expensive.

I second that

I take protein when I lay off meat which is on and off. What I know for fact is, it makes you fart, and they reek, and you should drink the shake (or eat something with a lot of protein) no more than 30 min. after working out or your muscle will start to break itself down because it needs nutrition.

Definitely do the research before your start taking any supplements though, good luck!

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:05 Quote
whyted wrote:
stinkystu wrote:
dirtjumper183 wrote:
thanks

I second that

I take protein when I lay off meat which is on and off. What I know for fact is, it makes you fart, and they reek, and you should drink the shake (or eat something with a lot of protein) no more than 30 min. after working out or your muscle will start to break itself down because it needs nutrition.

Definitely do the research before your start taking any supplements though, good luck!
What age do you think it is ok to start drinking them. because for one they dont taste all that bad, but yeah how old would you say is ok?

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
I'm not expert by any means, so please take this with a grain of salt haha

But, protein shakes are basically the same thing you get from food, it absorbs better into the body when it comes from natural lean foods like fish or chicken, but when you want a lot of protein and not much else, its hard to beat a shake.

My younger brother is 16 and works out for soccer on a daily basis. He drinks protein after work outs, but also eats a lot of natural protein too. Since he started he's gained a lot of muscle mass, and gained quite a bit of weight (kid is 4 inches taller than me, and 4 years younger haha)

He reads a lot about it and seems to be doing it right, and healthy, but I only see him every few months because I don't live at home.

Just be careful what else you take, things like creatine really only cause your muscles to retain water and look bigger. When you do the research, look for stats from a non bias person, someone who isn't being paid by the company trying to sell you the product. Family doctors are a great place to start.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
whyted wrote:

But, protein shakes are basically the same thing you get from food, it absorbs better into the body when it comes from natural lean foods like fish or chicken, but when you want a lot of protein and not much else, its hard to beat a shake.

My younger brother is 16 and works out for soccer on a daily basis. He drinks protein after work outs, but also eats a lot of natural protein too. Since he started he's gained a lot of muscle mass, and gained quite a bit of weight (kid is 4 inches taller than me, and 4 years younger haha)

He reads a lot about it and seems to be doing it right, and healthy, but I only see him every few months because I don't live at home.

Just be careful what else you take, things like creatine really only cause your muscles to retain water and look bigger. When you do the research, look for stats from a non bias person, someone who isn't being paid by the company trying to sell you the product. Family doctors are a great place to start.

im starting to workout now, but i was thinking about shakes, but i may leave it 2 years or so.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:47 Quote
whyted wrote:

perfect advise. im 16 aswell and take it and bro is 27 and a body builder so i just learn off of him.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
stinkystu wrote:
whyted wrote:

perfect advise. im 16 aswell and take it and bro is 27 and a body builder so i just learn off of him.
By law i have to take a parent with me to go see him, i would rather not tell my parents about the shakes, or me working out

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
snaple wrote:
stinkystu wrote:
whyted wrote:

By law i have to take a parent with me to go see him, i would rather not tell my parents about the shakes, or me working out

Why not?

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 13:52 Quote
stinkystu wrote:
snaple wrote:
stinkystu wrote:

Why not?
My parents would think it was stupid.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010483
Mobile Version of Website