36 rim on 32 hub?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
36 rim on 32 hub?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 14:37 Quote
Is it possible to lace a 36 hole rim to a 32 spoke hub? The rim i have on my bike now is a piece but i dont mind the hub and the hub from my old wheel is broken so i want to put the rim (36) onto the the new hub.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 16:44 Quote
I don't think its possible.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
its obviously possible but youll just have to have some of the holes in the rim unfilled and try to do it evenly and ill be nice and do it for you...lace 8 holes then leave one all the way around and it should be even.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 17:01 Quote
zshipowick wrote:
Is it possible to lace a 36 hole rim to a 32 spoke hub? The rim i have on my bike now is a piece but i dont mind the hub and the hub from my old wheel is broken so i want to put the rim (36) onto the the new hub.

Just buy a new rim, they are inexpensive enough.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 17:27 Quote
I am extremely poor atm. haha.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 18:48 Quote
it is possible but it is a compromise. plus you may not find anyone with the right skills willing to do it, so you may have to do it yourself and find the right pattern to follow.
i wouldnt think about it for a rear disk wheel as the pedal and braking forces really stress the spokes and pull the wheel around, even on the front you will see the wheels flexing as you brake. a front v-brake would be the best situation

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 18:54 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
it is possible but it is a compromise. plus you may not find anyone with the right skills willing to do it, so you may have to do it yourself and find the right pattern to follow.
i wouldnt think about it for a rear disk wheel as the pedal and braking forces really stress the spokes and pull the wheel around, even on the front you will see the wheels flexing as you brake. a front v-brake would be the best situation

What are you on about? It would be exactly the same amount of work/performance as a regular 32/32 or 36/36. All you have to do is not use 4 of the holes.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 2:44 Quote
and what effect will the forces have when applied across the gap left by the spare spoke whole?? the forces will also be concentrated and less distributed equally because of the gaps.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 6:07 Quote
rokor wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:

What are you on about? It would be exactly the same amount of work/performance as a regular 32/32 or 36/36. All you have to do is not use 4 of the holes.

You can't just go and leave out 4 spokes in any random place, you have to have a pattern or the wheel will be all messed up. Finding that pattern is going to be difficult.

And personally I would be more worried about breaking forces on the front wheel than the rear.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 9:59 Quote
I did not say leave them out of 4 random spots, and I do have a pattern that was not difficult at all to find. Simple math guys. 8x4=32(hub), 36-32=4(4 spoke holes not being used), so for every 8 spokes you do in regular fashion, you leave one making the forces evenly distributed.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 16:39 Quote
makes sense to me if i do end up doing it i will do it that way.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 16:55 Quote
yes thats how you would go about it. but ist still a compromise. but the right pattern could play a big part.

i know braking forces on the front r more extreme that the rear, but the pedal stroke results in the rim/hub being pulled in both directions on a dished wheel not just in the one direction.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 16:56 Quote
I'm probly gonna end up getting new wheels with my new frame anyway but thanks for the tips! Beer

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012143
Mobile Version of Website