DH/4X - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
DH/4X - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 18:04 Quote
They didn't test POC's high end helmets though. I would hope that they are safer.

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 18:16 Quote
Circes wrote:
I'm on mobile but consumer safety did an independent lab test on several motorcycle helmets. Do you know which performed the best? A $70 Blitz helmet from a big box moto chain.

Have you done any reading whatsoever on the subject?

Wasn't that...like, decades ago?

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 5:30 Quote
They did not test full face helmets. I will agree that the difference between a cheap and expensive regular helmet is negligible, they are not designed to take very big hits. However we are talking about full face dh lids, where they need to perform and protect far past these really not rigorous, or extensive enough tests. And for that motorcycle helmet test, I'm pretty sure that was decades ago, and helmet technology and safety has traveled leaps and bounds since then. The thing is nowadays the cheap brands will still be using similar tech and design in their helmets that they used back then, and the premium brands will be constantly developing and improving the protection of their product.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 6:06 Quote
Raggi-Boy wrote:
They did not test full face helmets. I will agree that the difference between a cheap and expensive regular helmet is negligible, they are not designed to take very big hits. However we are talking about full face dh lids, where they need to perform and protect far past these really not rigorous, or extensive enough tests. And for that motorcycle helmet test, I'm pretty sure that was decades ago, and helmet technology and safety has traveled leaps and bounds since then. The thing is nowadays the cheap brands will still be using similar tech and design in their helmets that they used back then, and the premium brands will be constantly developing and improving the protection of their product.

Although, many of the "premium" brands are made by the same manufacturer of the "cheap" ones...

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 6:16 Quote
Just because they are made by the same doesn't mean they are all designed by the same or made to the same specs.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 6:44 Quote
I wear a THE .5, it was £65. Apart from weight, I couldnt see or feel any difference between this and a t2 (THEs higher end model, £250ish) I tried on. I wont dispute that in 1 crash out of 100 the t2 could save my head better, but if I could only afford sub £100 id rather have a cheap lid that I can get another of, than smash an expensive one thats gonna take ages to replace, meaning my head is far less protected in the mean time.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 8:00 Quote
Lol inked up. They are really different. The t2 is complere and utter pile of arses. The .5 is based on the old one helmet which I had and replaced with a t2 the t2 is much smaller and has hardly any padding in and while being nice and light didn't actually cover my face properly :/ got a d3 now and feel MUCH safer.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 8:04 Quote
As I said, I didnt notice anything but weight. I didn't say there were no other differences, just that I didnt notice them

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 8:09 Quote
Anyone know if you can do anything to free up the bottom out adjuster on a Fox RC4? It's super stiff on mine. (I'm using an allen key too, not trying to turn it by hand.)

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 8:23 Quote
dingus wrote:
Anyone know if you can do anything to free up the bottom out adjuster on a Fox RC4? It's super stiff on mine. (I'm using an allen key too, not trying to turn it by hand.)
you can let the air out.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 8:27 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
As I said, I didnt notice anything but weight. I didn't say there were no other differences, just that I didnt notice them
wasn't hatin' you made a good choice not going for the t2. (It is damn light though)

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 8:34 Quote
Nobble wrote:
dingus wrote:
you can let the air out.

I let the air down to the minimum it says on the side but it didn't help, is it ok to let it all out?

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 8:36 Quote
Supposed to have less than 50PSI in it when adjusting bottom out

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 8:55 Quote
It doesn't say anything about that in the manual.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 9:53 Quote
dingus wrote:
Nobble wrote:
dingus wrote:
you can let the air out.

I let the air down to the minimum it says on the side but it didn't help, is it ok to let it all out?
i had probs with my 36,dropped all the air out and set the dials, after giving them a good twist to free them up,then air back in. All good now shit builds up on threads etc.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032276
Mobile Version of Website