fox 40 oil change !

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
fox 40 oil change !
O+
Posted: May 5, 2010 at 13:47 Quote
ok this talk has gone on to long..... oil height has absolutly no effect on the fork "ramping up". The oil in the lowers does nothing more than provide lubrication. Also, the forks use 50ml or cc not mm. You can run more or you can run less and the fork would feel the same, as long as the bushings are lubed up.

Posted: May 5, 2010 at 13:48 Quote
nathanbalsdon wrote:
ok this talk has gone on to long..... oil height has absolutly no effect on the fork "ramping up". The oil in the lowers does nothing more than provide lubrication. Also, the forks use 50ml or cc not mm. You can run more or you can run less and the fork would feel the same, as long as the bushings are lubed up.

ok thats what i thought too, whoever this "tech guy" the other person was talking about must have been on crack

Posted: May 5, 2010 at 17:15 Quote
so then what do you recommend for the volume of oil ?

O+
Posted: May 5, 2010 at 17:47 Quote
50ml / cc in each leg (milliliters and cubic centimeters are the same)

Posted: May 6, 2010 at 7:34 Quote
cool. Are you sure the ramp up deal is a myth? because it makes sense because if there is too much oil in the fork the seals will blow out. At least thats what a bionicon sales rep. explained to me. You work for FOX?

O+
Posted: May 6, 2010 at 13:37 Quote
since the publication of the 2007 manual they have changed the spec to 50cc and suggest 10wt oil.

Posted: May 7, 2010 at 8:56 Quote
nathanbalsdon wrote:
since the publication of the 2007 manual they have changed the spec to 50cc and suggest 10wt oil.

how come 10? would it last longer, or does it work better w/ the new damper or something? there werent really any notable changes to the fork in '07, so im wondering why they would change the oil weight

O+
Posted: May 7, 2010 at 13:24 Quote
fall0ut wrote:
nathanbalsdon wrote:

how come 10? would it last longer, or does it work better w/ the new damper or something? there werent really any notable changes to the fork in '07, so im wondering why they would change the oil weight

The 36/40 dampers have always used 10wt oil. The lowers used to use 7wt for lubrication but no everything is 10wt. Not 100% sure of the reason...it just is.

Next year with the Kashima coat there is a new specific lubrication fluid for the lowers that is supposed to feel amazing.

Posted: Apr 8, 2011 at 8:03 Quote
Fox recommends 10wt. RED oil and 10wt. GREEN oil, at $25 per quart there has to be a cheaper option. Can I just run Maxima Lubricants 55901 Fork Oil 10 Wt. in both damper and stanchion baths? It's $7 vs $50, is there a significant difference?

Posted: Apr 8, 2011 at 9:16 Quote
just run whatever 10wt you can find, it's not that important

Posted: Apr 27, 2013 at 21:51 Quote
so im servicing my 2010 40, i have SKF seals and oil rings and crush washers coming this week, and some 10wt green oil with some float fluid. My forks are stiff, i guess not oil them good. how much oil do i need to use. and do i use the float oil on the oil ring? thanks

FL
Posted: Apr 28, 2013 at 10:56 Quote
shawnryantyra wrote:
so im servicing my 2010 40, i have SKF seals and oil rings and crush washers coming this week, and some 10wt green oil with some float fluid. My forks are stiff, i guess not oil them good. how much oil do i need to use. and do i use the float oil on the oil ring? thanks

You only need to use 50mL of 10wt oil into each stanchion tube, and you should use float fluid to lather the foam oil rings up nicely. Also lightly at the bushings below where the oil rings sit.

Here is a link to the service manuals for all their products. http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/010/eng/index.html
Just select the 2010 Fox 40 and it tells you everything

Posted: Apr 28, 2013 at 23:35 Quote
taylorglorydh wrote:
shawnryantyra wrote:

You only need to use 50mL of 10wt oil into each stanchion tube, and you should use float fluid to lather the foam oil rings up nicely. Also lightly at the bushings below where the oil rings sit.

Here is a link to the service manuals for all their products. http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/010/eng/index.html
Just select the 2010 Fox 40 and it tells you everything

Thanks man and i guess i can do this with my bike upside down, and just tilt the forks to get the old fluid out? thanks again.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019005
Mobile Version of Website