Why Do People Blow Whistles At DH Events?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Why Do People Blow Whistles At DH Events?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 18:34 Quote
Hey guys,

ive noticed at every dh event ive been in "2"

people blew whistles when riders went by.

i was curious to know why they do that?

i thaught maybe it told the rider that they where in the lead for time??

im not sure...

thanks,

Awais

Mod
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
It's for timing purposes/split times. When riders pass certain stages/specific points in a race, they blow a whistle. They do this at several races. Also, some race courses that are longer, they allow two riders to be on the track at a time and once one passes a certain checkpoint, the whistle signals the starting gate people to stage the next rider.

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 18:39 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
It's for timing purposes/split times. When riders pass certain stages/specific points in a race, they blow a whistle. They do this at several races. Also, some race courses that are longer, they allow two riders to be on the track at a time and once one passes a certain checkpoint, the whistle signals the starting gate people to stage the next rider.

but what good is that for the rider??? to improve time while racing?

Mod
Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 18:42 Quote
It has nothing to do with the riders. It signals the official time keepers that "racer x" is past a certain point on the course that is predetermined. How do you think people know if the rider is + or - the previous rider's or current leader's time?

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 18:43 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
It has nothing to do with the riders. It signals the official time keepers that "racer x" is past a certain point on the course that is predetermined. How do you think people know if the rider is + or - the previous rider's or current leader's time?

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
ok ic ic, i found that kinda awkward at first lol i wasnt sure what they were doing.

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 at 0:25 Quote
It signals to the marshals lower on the course that the rider has passed and is on their way down.

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 at 17:26 Quote
devincirida wrote:
It signals to the marshals lower on the course that the rider has passed and is on their way down.

Yes that is true. Our course at Whiteface we would have up to 17 on the track at once. It is the responsiblity of the course marshal to sound the whistle after a racer passes safely. In case of a bad crash they would order a course hold, and all racers above the crash point would get a re-run. We needed 27 course marshals all with whistles for our 5 K DH. Of course they all have radios too, but you don't want to have that much chatter on the radios, in case you do have an emergency.

I guess I explained a little more than asked, but should help the answer make sense.

Downhill Mike
Whiteface Mtn. Bike Park
www/downhillmike.com
Size does matter!

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 at 17:30 Quote
yeah man thats sweet!

thanks, i had no clue lol i found it kinda weird.

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 at 17:31 Quote
i was thinking it was for rider encouragement like at my cyclocross races where people ring cowbells

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 9:53 Quote
[Quote="downhillmike"]
devincirida wrote:

Good explanation. Bikes can be pretty quiet in the midst of a chatting crowd; the whistle is simple; cheap and efficient. I just feel bad for the whistle blowers. Hours doing that can driver you crazy.

Posted: May 21, 2017 at 17:20 Quote
Ìt's actually to warn spectators a rider is coming -- to get them off track!

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 15:28 Quote
Its to let other marshals spectators other competitors etc. that a rider is coming

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 15:29 Quote
DownhillBikes wrote:
Ìt's actually to warn spectators a rider is coming -- to get them off track!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012034
Mobile Version of Website