What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 3:11 Quote
Had formula T1s - for heavier riders they lack power. (95kg+)
Tried saints but the lever didn't fit me (and managed to break 2 levers, but that's probably only due to my bad luck Big Grin )
Now I'm happy owner of Hope Tech 3 v4 and they're everything I need.

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 7:42 Quote
The tech 3 v4s are outstanding, went from zee to those and I'm extremely pleased. I'm about 120 kilos in riding gear, and they have enough power but in terms of modulation they are light-years ahead of zee!

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 13:48 Quote
Hope tech evo m4's on the wife's rig and tech v4's on mine. Endless adjustments, easily bleed, all parts are replaceable and just plain sexy.

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 13:57 Quote
Hope Tech 3 E4 on mine

All of my friends have brake issues except me. I buy Hope, toss them on, bleed if I had to mess with the lines and roll. I never have issues with them.

Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 5:27 Quote
I'm happy to see riders quoting weight when reviewing brakes! It makes a difference.

My weight is generally between 90-100kg, And I find that only Saint or Hope V4 have the power and consistent feel I like.

The only difference between these two brakes is the lever feel (modulation) and looks (yes one might be more powerful than the other - but when was the last time you rode in a laboratory with perfect tyres and grip?!). And hope is slightly more serviceable.

I don't rate the Guide RSC that came with my bike. They're ok on short and not so steep courses, but on proper uplift courses, with steep/ 4min descents, they are very poor. Might be ok for people who weight less.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 14:30 Quote
Avid Elixir CR's on mine. Wish I had Hope Tech's

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 15:00 Quote
Did a week uplifted in the southern Spanish mountains 900m descending typical, Zees worked perfectly no change in feel etc all week. I've concluded you do have to store the bike on its wheels though, hang from front or back and they get temperamental.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 16:47 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
Did a week uplifted in the southern Spanish mountains 900m descending typical, Zees worked perfectly no change in feel etc all week. I've concluded you do have to store the bike on its wheels though, hang from front or back and they get temperamental.

I used to have Avid Juicy Seven's and they were temperamental. Then I went to Sram XO's and they didnt have the same good power as the sevens. Now I have Elixir CRs.

Posted: Mar 30, 2017 at 3:21 Quote
Has anyone experienced a problem with the Zee brakes where the levers/reservoir are "sweating" oil? I have noticed it recently when I was prepping my bike for the coming season. I have crashed once and scratched the reservoir cover, but I didn't notice any oil residue on the lever until now and the crash was in the last season. I have ordered a spare lever since they aren't that expensive, but it still seems like it doesn't take a lot to break it and it's kinda worrying. My bike is stored inside, vertically on a wall when I am not riding it.

Posted: Mar 30, 2017 at 3:34 Quote
yeah I had one do that, not sure what happened to it, was unable to fix it as parts are not really available.. Frown
bad luck...?

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 23:01 Quote
Had 12' Avid Code R on 200mm rotors for a short period of time and really liked the lever feel of them being consistent and firm. Might like them a little more than Shimano's, but still like the reliability of Shimano and their Mineral oil and bleeding being easier.

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 11:25 Quote
TRP twin pot for now but soon upgrading to Hope Tech V4.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 11:51 Quote
Enjoying my Formula Cura! So much power (and I'm 100 kg x 1.9m)

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 16:28 Quote
AzMonster249 wrote:
TRP twin pot for now but soon upgrading to Hope Tech V4.

GREAT upgrade!!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014685
Mobile Version of Website