Official North Shore thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official North Shore thread
O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2016 at 9:17 Quote
Stainer wrote:
Anyone else see the 2 guys riding down floppy bunny and bobsled today not wearing helmets? Thought for sure I'd be seeing search and rescue when I got down to the parking lot.

Yikes, easy trails or not... Wear a freaking helmet!

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 12:18 Quote
AlanB14 wrote:
The schedule is changed. Lower Sex Boy gets a reprieve until Tuesday October 11.

It's that time. Lower Sex Boy, the section below Fern Trail, has been permanently closed.

The upper section is still open, but you'll have to take Sex Girl Connector, Trunk Monkey or S&M down to CBR. Please update cached trails on your Trailforks app.

Posted: Oct 11, 2016 at 14:44 Quote
Anyone know of any jumps that would be good on a dh bike? Already missing Whistler.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 10:44 Quote
DandelionDan wrote:
Anyone know of any jumps that would be good on a dh bike? Already missing Whistler.

I think it's called Boogie Nights, on Seymour.... some good jumps on that trail!

Posted: Oct 15, 2016 at 17:27 Quote
What's with that NSMBA announcement to stay off Seymour trails?

http://www.nsmba.ca/content/2016-10_cmhc-update

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 13:06 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:

Not sure but I just tried going to www.nsmba.ca and it says it's down and cannot be opened.

The concept that a landowner can close its property to rec users is a foreign one here in Canada but overall is well within their rights. Unfortunately for cmhc, Im betting we will see mass vandalism of those poor signs and not much change in how the area was used before. The method they used will not be adopted easily if they don't explain their reason for closing the property now rather than 30 years ago when trails started being built on their land.

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 15:49 Quote
There's a 5 page thread on nsmb about it.

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 17:03 Quote
Tnerb888 wrote:
There's a 5 page thread on nsmb about it.
Could you post a link since I didn't see it when I looked just now?
And Nsmba's site is still down.

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 17:51 Quote
erikwyattatmedotcom wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

Not sure but I just tried going to www.nsmba.ca and it says it's down and cannot be opened.

The concept that a landowner can close its property to rec users is a foreign one here in Canada but overall is well within their rights. Unfortunately for cmhc, Im betting we will see mass vandalism of those poor signs and not much change in how the area was used before. The method they used will not be adopted easily if they don't explain their reason for closing the property now rather than 30 years ago when trails started being built on their land.

Just going to point out that anyone who rode on Seymour was trespassing on CMHC trails since they took over possession like in the late 60s. So that's to your point which is a good one

You're trespassing on District West Van and BPP lands when you ride Cypress except if you're on the BLT trail - the only legit sanctioned trail in West Van

Until the mid 2000s you were trespassing on District of North Van lands when you rode Fromme. When you ride trails between the 5th and 7th switchback on Fromme you're still trespassing on Grouse lands

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 17:52 Quote
and oh yah tl:dr this is what i wrote on a facebook post

TLBig Grin R

0--------------------------

People keep asking me about this so I thought I'd answer

No, I didn't know it was going to happen.

No, I don't know what they're going to do.

No I don't know why the CMHC put these signs up. There've been trails here since the late 80s. There's been maps, books, stories, pictures etc of these trails since god knows when.

Some points that come to mind:

1. These are just trails. They're awesome trails. But they're still just trails. So take a deep breath #firstworldnorthvanproblems

2. It's not just about biking. These trails are used by runners, dogwalkers, hikers etc. They're used by young, they're used by old. They're used by parents, kids.

3. What effect does this have? Signing a whole bunch of trails as no trespassing when these trails have been used for many years is pretty douchey So that's an individual question for an individual trail user to answer.

First of all I've always thought through anything to do with trails and useage with respect for the trailbuilder first and foremost. I can only speak to the trails Shar and I maintain and we don't have a problem with people using AA, SS and CBuster in a respectful fashion. If other trailbuilders have different ideas or opinions then you should have listen to what they have to say.

Secondly, (and this is for the benefit of Monica Craver as much as it is for everyone else) Personally I think of the CMHC as a steward for pubic lands. That means our lands. Now if we were abusing that land then I can see that issue. But IMO we are not. And also IMO the users of the trails are also not abusing the land. Speaking for myself and Sharon I can't see us doing anything different going forward. I just spent a wet three hours replanting ferns. I'm not sure how hunting me down as a trespasser is a productive positive thing to do.

Now if CMHC wants to enter into a conversation with users and builders as to how to work with trails on the land that's a conversation that would be good to have. And Sharon and I would welcome that.

Final note, when I started biking in North Van in the late 90s, all of Cypress was unsanctioned, most of Fromme was unsanctioned, and most of Seymour was also unsanctioned (CMHC was never sanctioned trails). And surprise, surprise there were people hiking, walking, and biking on all. of. these. trails

Fast forward to now. There's dialogue happening in Cypress (tip of the hat to DWV and BPP). DNV has been terrific and much of Fromme is sanctioned. Metro has also been terrific and trails on their land are also sanctioned. The outlier is CMHC. They have utterly silent. I respectfully submit that if these trails are a concern to them that they should reach out to the community of users. That would be a respectful thing to do And what the CMHC did was in my opinion not respectful and not consistent with their status as steward of OUR lands.

If the CMHC does not try to engage with users my prediction that the trails will continue to be used regardless of the presence of signage.

Posted: Oct 21, 2016 at 16:45 Quote
leelau wrote:
You're trespassing on District West Van and BPP lands when you ride Cypress except if you're on the BLT trail - the only legit sanctioned trail in West Van

Almost correct! The section of Pre-Reaper that runs through the Conservancy has been approved for bikes by Parks. I've also heard the same for Millstream Trail.

The full story is that West Van doesn't have a process for determining trail use. This is something to be addressed with the Trails Plan in 2017.

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 at 10:57 Quote
sorry if this has been brought up before, but is anyone riding the north shore on 29ers? the new long travel 29ers are looking nice and are getting pretty sweet reviews, but I just cant help but think they will be a handful on a lot of the tight steep descents on the north shore.. would like to hear from anyone currently riding the shore on a 29er!

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2016 at 11:12 Quote
kthorpe wrote:
sorry if this has been brought up before, but is anyone riding the north shore on 29ers? the new long travel 29ers are looking nice and are getting pretty sweet reviews, but I just cant help but think they will be a handful on a lot of the tight steep descents on the north shore.. would like to hear from anyone currently riding the shore on a 29er!

Been on 29rs on the shore for the last 4 years now, for my height I wouldn't go back to 27.5". The only time I ever noticed the bigger bike is riding older style trails like Granny's or similar trails. The bigger wheels definitely seem to help carry speed and pedaling over the chunk. I'm a huge fan. Ridden Banshee Phantom, Evil Following and now Rocky Instinct here and I've had a blast on all of them.

Posted: Nov 7, 2016 at 11:17 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
kthorpe wrote:

Been on 29rs on the shore for the last 4 years now, for my height I wouldn't go back to 27.5". The only time I ever noticed the bigger bike is riding older style trails like Granny's or similar trails. The bigger wheels definitely seem to help carry speed and pedaling over the chunk. I'm a huge fan. Ridden Banshee Phantom, Evil Following and now Rocky Instinct here and I've had a blast on all of them.

thats good to hear! how tall are you? im 6ft so I feel I could probably enjoy a 29er without it feeling to big. Rocky instinct on the shore eh? didn't wish you had a little more travel? Im flip-flopping about what to get in the spring when im ready for a new bike....29er trail bike or 27.5 enduro..basicaly torn right down the middle.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2016 at 12:48 Quote
kthorpe wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
kthorpe wrote:

thats good to hear! how tall are you? im 6ft so I feel I could probably enjoy a 29er without it feeling to big. Rocky instinct on the shore eh? didn't wish you had a little more travel? Im flip-flopping about what to get in the spring when im ready for a new bike....29er trail bike or 27.5 enduro..basicaly torn right down the middle.

I'm 6'2". Coming from a Phantom (110mm) to the Following (120mm) the 130mm Instinct has more than enough travel for everything on the shore. Built up with a 140mm fork and wide tire version Maxxis tires it's more than enough bike for anything.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011959
Mobile Version of Website