Post your computer setup

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
Post your computer setup
O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 7:59 Quote
Just bought a house at the end of the summer and I'm finally getting it all setup after painting.
photo

Dont feel like going through ALL the specs but here are the basics:

Cameras:
Sony HVR-Z1U
Panasonic GS-350 (need to sell this, used it like twice!)
2 8mm film cameras - more for collecting, never used them.

Editing:
G5 desktop for when I'm at home
Mac Book Pro laptop for when I'm on the road
both running Final Cut Studio 2
500Gb Lacie hard drive with 2 other 500 Gb in storage right now.

Logitech Z-560 surround sound. (dreaming about the z-5500 Smile )

Next on the list is a nice 27" monitor cause my current one looks tiny on the desk!

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
Nice setup man.
Yeah, it looks kinda small.
Might I suggest getting a dual monitor setup like mine.
When it comes to video editing it is the bomb.
You can put your viewing window on 1 side, set for full screen, and editing timeline on the other side, full screen. Its really nice when you can just switch between screens, unlike trying to find the viewing window on a massive monitor. Just my opinion.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:09 Quote
spoiledgoods wrote:
Nice setup man.
Yeah, it looks kinda small.
Might I suggest getting a dual monitor setup like mine.
When it comes to video editing it is the bomb.
You can put your viewing window on 1 side, set for full screen, and editing timeline on the other side, full screen. Its really nice when you can just switch between screens, unlike trying to find the viewing window on a massive monitor. Just my opinion.

yeah for sure. I'm either gonna go REALLY big on a monitor to equal the amount of display 2 would give me, or go with a 24" and keep my current one.

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 9:15 Quote
2 monitors just works so much better.

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:39 Quote
spoiledgoods wrote:
2 monitors just works so much better.

I second that. One large screen simply can't be compared to 2 smaller ones.

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
One of my ICT teachers at school has two large screens hooked up together and its amazing, I was using it for a while but as i was used to one single screen I kept forgetting I even had the other. Im deffinaty going to have to save up for them, Can you just use to normal screens and hook them up or are they a different type of screen?

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
Liam-rooney wrote:
One of my ICT teachers at school has two large screens hooked up together and its amazing, I was using it for a while but as i was used to one single screen I kept forgetting I even had the other. Im deffinaty going to have to save up for them, Can you just use to normal screens and hook them up or are they a different type of screen?

Yeah you just need a video card that supports dual monitor outs.

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:46 Quote
Liam-rooney wrote:

Yeah, they're just normal screens. Just make sure there are 2 screen connectors on your graphics card, or you won't be able to use 2 screens with your computer.

EDIT: Guy above beat me to it.

Ok then, It would be cool if you could just have two seperate standard screens.

Liam-rooney wrote:

What do you mean?

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:47 Quote
Liam-rooney wrote:

I am not sure i know what you mean,
but the way my computer is setup, i use a program called VM Ware Fusion.
it emulates windows XP, so i can run Mac OSX 10.5.4, and XP on 2 seperate monitors, side by side, both from the same computer.

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:49 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
Liam-rooney wrote:

What do you mean?
Like without having the new video/ graphics card, Im not sure exactly how it works( Im not a computer whizz like you guysSmile ) So just two screens without any extra cards.

Edit; Im getting too confused lol im not very clever with computersFrown

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:52 Quote
Liam-rooney wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
Liam-rooney wrote:

What do you mean?
Like without having the new video/ graphics card, Im not sure exactly how it works( Im not a computer whizz like you guysSmile ) So just two screens without any extra cards.

Edit; Im getting too confused lol im not very clever with computersFrown

I'm not that good either - I'm the same age as you. You see at the back of your computer theres either a blue or white connector with a cable going to your screen? If there's an empty slot that looks just like it would fit the same connector (same colour too), then you can run 2 screens without any mods.

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:55 Quote
Oh, I didnt see your age, Naa I cant see any extra slots for more sonnectors and leads, It doesnt reallly matter anyway, the chances of me getting another screen soon is very unlikelyFrown Frown

Posted: Nov 4, 2008 at 10:56 Quote
Liam-rooney wrote:
Oh, I didnt see your age, Naa I cant see any extra slots for more sonnectors and leads, It doesnt reallly matter anyway, the chances of me getting another screen soon is very unlikelyFrown Frown

christmas time is coming, you should ask for one Razz . or use the christmas money you get.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014410
Mobile Version of Website