Codes or elixir cr for dh

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Codes or elixir cr for dh
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 2:45 Quote
marquis wrote:
stryke wrote:
i dont remember saying anything about the power?

england tracks you dont need much more than the elixir power wise

thats why i asked about power,and wether or not in england or not when your my weight you need all the help you can get.

so use a question mark instead of a period next time eh

if you're a heavier guy then you should get the codes for sure

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 2:46 Quote
pinked wrote:
rfsasa wrote:
i want these brakes for when i go to fort will and alphs and not get to bottom with my hand killin cuz pressing my juicys makes your hand hurt

so dont drag the brakes sweetie

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 5:18 Quote
stryke wrote:
marquis wrote:
stryke wrote:
i dont remember saying anything about the power?

thats why i asked about power,and wether or not in england or not when your my weight you need all the help you can get.

so use a question mark instead of a period next time eh

if you're a heavier guy then you should get the codes for sure

sorry my bad for sure.

i have codes already i was just wondering if there was a big power drop ?

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 5:25 Quote
not that i've noticed but i'm a pretty light guy at 10.7 stone(converted). theres probably some power loss but it's nothing drastic, and i felt right at home switching over from the codes

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 5:29 Quote
stryke wrote:
not that i've noticed but i'm a pretty light guy at 10.7 stone(converted). theres probably some power loss but it's nothing drastic, and i felt right at home switching over from the codes

im 210 pounds or 15 stione,and was just looking at ways of maybe saving some weight on my bike,im also just an all round rider not really into anything but will have a go at most stuff.

thanks for getting back to me and next time i ask a question i will try and remember this ?.

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 5:31 Quote
no problem man, codes are pretty heavy and the change to elixir is quite alot(feel like i should of weighed them now..) and unless you ride some crazy downhills all day you won't have a problem with them i wouldn't expect, more than enough power.

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 11:31 Quote
pinked wrote:
i want these brakes for when i go to fort will and alphs and not get to bottom with my hand killin cuz pressing my juicys makes your hand hurt

Elixr's wouldn't be for you then, they modulate like Juicys, which means a lot of hand movement and altering. I don't know about you but I want my brakes to work when I pull the lever, not F' around with around an inch of lever modulation before they start to get the power.

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 11:34 Quote
i got some 09 codes and i love them, that weight gain isnt that bad, its not like youll notice it

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 11:49 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
pinked wrote:

Elixr's wouldn't be for you then, they modulate like Juicys, which means a lot of hand movement and altering. I don't know about you but I want my brakes to work when I pull the lever, not F' around with around an inch of lever modulation before they start to get the power.

quick man promote the ones

you posted on page 1 and we havent had a post on how great they are yet

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 12:08 Quote
stryke wrote:
quick man promote the ones

you posted on page 1 and we havent had a post on how great they are yet

The OP has already said that he does not want them, so instead of arguing I will respect his reasons. It's not like I will get money or satisfaction from him buying them.

A brake I will plug is the new Saint, which boasts over 50% more power than the previous model, and the amazingly solid lever feel what is only featured with brakes using mineral oil as a fluid. They are so powerful and so little effort. The perfect 1 finger brakes and they are only around 75g more than Elixr CR per brake, so that isn't much of a weight gain, when the performance gain us unrivaled.

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 12:25 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
pinked wrote:

ya they do. agreed. thats why i like the codes, one finger is more than enough, and its the perfect modulating for dh/fr

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
pinked wrote:

Clearly you haven't used the Elixirs yet, because they modulate nothing like juicys, they have a much different feel, and in all honesty, I think they are better than codes on all fronts.

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 12:50 Quote
kopp-productions wrote:
Clearly you haven't used the Elixirs yet, because they modulate nothing like juicys, they have a much different feel, and in all honesty, I think they are better than codes on all fronts.

No, I have felt them, they have the same feel as the Juicys, sorta like the lever is bending. It's not a feel I like or I think belongs on the mountain. The power difference is far from huge, they still don't slow my ass down impressively, at all. The Codes do.

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 12:54 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
kopp-productions wrote:

No, I have felt them, they have the same feel as the Juicys, sorta like the lever is bending. It's not a feel I like or I think belongs on the mountain. The power difference is far from huge, they still don't slow my ass down impressively, at all. The Codes do.

Are you sure you tried them for real? They feel similar to juicy's, but the power is way different, and they have a lot more bite even after an extended run. What I hate about codes is the poor modulation they have, there isn't much between dragging and locking the wheel, the Elixirs have way more play in this zone. Brakes that just lock are no good (ahem Code's) they kill your speed even when you don't intend it. Anyways, the only real way to decide is to try the brakes back to back for the conditions you normally ride in. I have ridden every model of Avid brakes ever made (I'm not kidding, I have owned or at the very least tried all of the Juicy's, Codes, Elixirs and Ultimates made) And I am 100% convinced that the Elixir is the best brake they have ever made. That's just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 at 13:00 Quote
kopp-productions wrote:
dh-pete wrote:
kopp-productions wrote:

Are you sure you tried them for real? They feel similar to juicy's, but the power is way different, and they have a lot more bite even after an extended run. What I hate about codes is the poor modulation they have, there isn't much between dragging and locking the wheel, the Elixirs have way more play in this zone. Brakes that just lock are no good (ahem Code's) they kill your speed even when you don't intend it. Anyways, the only real way to decide is to try the brakes back to back for the conditions you normally ride in. I have ridden every model of Avid brakes ever made (I'm not kidding, I have owned or at the very least tried all of the Juicy's, Codes, Elixirs and Ultimates made) And I am 100% convinced that the Elixir is the best brake they have ever made. That's just my opinion, take it or leave it.
in all honesty, i havent tryed elixers, but i have never locked my code 5s without meanign to. exept if its wet, and im in a rocky section, than no matter what you have will slide. its all in the bleed, i find with codes if you bleed them so that there is more lever pull, you wont lock up as much, or near at all, the factory bleed were stiffer, and were more prone to lock up, but after i rebled them, to the way i like it. they were amazing. so if anyone really had, or has problems with codes locking up, do what i did. id like to try elixers. but the confidence the codes give me, knowing i will stop if i want to no matter what, has made me a faster rider. i find with the better the breaks, the better you will ride.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013094
Mobile Version of Website