Does a better hub really make a difference? and why?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Does a better hub really make a difference? and why?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 11:24 Quote
I want to build my own wheelset and I see some hub's that have more bearing's than others, Some are louder, some just look better. I was wondering if, performance wise there is any major difference between different make's of hub's?

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 11:37 Quote
Hubs that are "louder" usually have more engagement points. This means your drivetrain picks up faster, so less energy is lost.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/images/large_pro2tinternals.jpg
Hubs that have sealed cartridge bearings or needle bearings usually never need to be replaced, they're far stronger and stay cleaner. And if you do need to replace them, you don't have to worry about playing with loose balls and grease. Likewise, higher end bearings are usually butter smooth/have less resistance.

Higher end hubs usually have lighter materials used, and larger diameter axles, so that they're strong and light...

Chris king hubs are the shizz nizz, I've owned 2 and only had problems recently with one...I broke the axle, but it was used for 4 years, and I'm the second owner of it. So, I can't say I'd blame the hub...:P

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.sicklines.com/interbike2007pics/2008_Chris_King/2008_Chris_King_150_hub.jpg

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 12:11 Quote
Thank you, that helps alot. escpecially the picture.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 12:23 Quote
I hear company's such as Hadley, DT-swiss, and Chris King, brag about how loud their hub is. So the loudness of the hub is only due to the number of contact point's? I'm assuming that they are not increasing contact points for the sole reason of making the hub louder.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 12:28 Quote
They aren't necessarily louder, but the sound cool (like a buzzing sound) because of all the engagement points the pwals have to go over. (Chris king, Industry 9, Hope, ect.)

You can make almost any hub loud by taking the grease out of the freehub/driver, (this is not good for the hub though)

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 12:30 Quote
flyordie3 wrote:
I hear company's such as Hadley, DT-swiss, and Chris King, brag about how loud their hub is. So the loudness of the hub is only due to the number of contact point's? I'm assuming that they are not increasing contact points for the sole reason of making the hub louder.
They mostly brag about how quickly they engage. Industry 9 hubs have 120 engagement points, so it engages every 3 degrees. It's kind of a bragging right, but I don't really think you'd need that many. My king's 72 is ample, and I hardly feel a difference between it, and my friend's hope pro II, which is 48.

The actual loudness can be from how much tension is on the springs, you could make any hub loud if you took it apart and bent the springs. How much grease/oil makes a difference as well. Chris kings arn't that loud when they're new, it's more of a humming noise. As they get well worn in, and the oil drys/escapes, they become a lot louder...

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 12:33 Quote
Loudness doesn't matter, Engagement points do. If you ride a hub with a lot for a while and try someone's bike with less it feels dumb. King's are aight, Hadley's are amazing, Hope is best value for money, and I9's are just f*cking bling.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 12:47 Quote
Sounds like there is no solid decision on what is best

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 12:49 Quote
They're all good for different reasons.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
you can get hubs that spin round the axle alot faster than others...

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
ilikemybike011 wrote:
Loudness doesn't matter, Engagement points do. If you ride a hub with a lot for a while and try someone's bike with less it feels dumb. King's are aight, Hadley's are amazing, Hope is best value for money, and I9's are just f*cking bling.
Kings are better than hadley, better workmanship and far better drive mechanism(ring drive vs ratchet and pawls). Both have 72 engagement points.

Hope hubs have 24 engagement points, so they're not really in the faster engaging hub category. The Hope trials hub has 48 though, so it's pretty reasonable. Industry 9...I don't like the spoke design, I'm sure they'd be great for racing and such, but for my application, I'd rather not.

bigquotesyou can get hubs that spin round the axle alot faster than others...
thanks for clearing that upVery confused

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 13:24 Quote
I would MUCH rather have a Hadley than a King.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 13:28 Quote
ilikemybike011 wrote:
I would MUCH rather have a Hadley than a King.
Why?

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 13:50 Quote
bigquotesyou can get hubs that spin round the axle alot faster than others...
thanks for clearing that upVery confused [/Quote]
lol I was kinda thinking the same thing

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 13:57 Quote
would having a faster spinning hub make the bike noticeabley quicker on the trail? I know that sounds like a common sense question but is a high end hub really all that different than any low end one? would it be worth buying a king or a hadley to make my bike faster as far as racing is concerned?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010135
Mobile Version of Website