avid codes driving me crazy

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
avid codes driving me crazy
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 21:09 Quote
my rear brakes is vibrating like crazy. its so bad it shakes the bike!!!! i have tried re adjusting them by squeezing the brake at different pressures, and then tighting the bolts. I have also played with the brake pad contact adjustment dial, on the lever exstensivly. Nothing seems to work. I have the 2007 avid codes. can anyone please help me? its driving nuts.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 21:14 Quote
mine did that out of the box get those bad boys bled. what size rotor and what bike?

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 21:15 Quote
are the disk bolts loose????

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 21:19 Quote
disk bolts hub or disk might be bent my suggestions

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 21:25 Quote
185 mm. on a intense socom. so when you got them bled. the vibration went away totally?

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 21:39 Quote
yeah when i got mine the first thing to do is bleed them
and its better if you line them up with you eye rather than squeezing the lever

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 21:40 Quote
it might also be your pads becaues i have 2007 codes and they have organic pads so if you go to matalic it shuld stop it did for me

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2007 at 21:42 Quote
my rear compleatly failed on my socom. lever problems. i sent them back

Posted: Oct 24, 2007 at 9:11 Quote
hey.
before you go out and spend money to get them bled try this.
take your wheel out.
take the pads out.
take a flat head screw driver, and lightly push on the middle of both the pistons on each side of the brake calliper.
what it could be, is the pad sitting crooked in the calliper, then its vibrating against your rotor.
try that.
and also make sure to line up your rotor right in between the pads!
even if it takes you a hour, it will save you trouble later.

but, on the other hand.
3 people i know bought codes'.
and they all bled them before they rode them
just a shitty bleed from the factory i guess.

Posted: Oct 24, 2007 at 9:24 Quote
i cannot see any relationship between brake shudder and bleeding.

I'd check disc bolts/disc mount, hub play, spoke tension, pad installation, rear axle, and caliper mount to make sure everything is solid with no play.

After that i'd be lost.

Posted: Oct 24, 2007 at 9:27 Quote
MY AVIDS are fine nothings been the matter with them

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2007 at 9:37 Quote
dude, codes are sick brakes, your rotors are probably warped if you're getting vibrations...

Posted: Oct 24, 2007 at 9:48 Quote
lilwalters wrote:
dude, codes are sick brakes, your rotors are probably warped if you're getting vibrations...

hopefully he installed the rotors that came with his new brakes, and isnt trying to install them on the old callipers :O
haha.
good idea though.

Posted: Oct 25, 2007 at 16:14 Quote
It seems that it is one of two things, either the pad is not contacting the rotor square(one of the pistons is sitting crooked) or your IS mounts on your frame are not parallel to the rotor. To fix this you will need a disc tab facing tool, most good shops will have one. I know the CPS system is supposed to solve this problem, but it doesn't always work. Also take a quick look at the CPS cup and cone washers and check that they don't have any marks in them from being overtightened (i've seen a few come like that from the factory, just change them if they are marked)

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 21:43 Quote
Hi there. Have you got the problem fixed? I've got the same problem.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010556
Mobile Version of Website