Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
I am guessing that is 3d printed ti with bonded in carbon ends.

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
"They look sorta like an aluminum-carbon hybrid"

To me the bar looks like two parts Titanium centre joined,
with carbon inserts.

Ti can be difficult to shape depending on method available.
That makes a lot of sense actually. so smart

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 12:49 Quote
hey, two technical questions
im polishing my old boxxer crowns and i sandblasted them
so do i need to also polish the inside of the crowns (where the stanchion comes thru) or should i let the texture be exactly how it is after blasting?
and the second question.
is it a must to put some clear coat over the polished surfice or not?
so it wont oxidize.

thankks

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
Polishing will change the inside diameter. Best to avoid that.

Clear-coat will keep it shiny for longer, but it's not necessary. You can use "polymer" car polish to give it a surprisingly durable shine.

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
benneyboi wrote:
muddytreker wrote:
"They look sorta like an aluminum-carbon hybrid"

To me the bar looks like two parts Titanium centre joined,
with carbon inserts.

Ti can be difficult to shape depending on method available.
That makes a lot of sense actually. so smart

DING DING DING- we have a winner.

Yes the bars have a 3d printed center section- 3 pieces bonded together with epoxy. Specifically Araldite 2015. The two halves are joined with a center joint that overlaps a total of around 2". To further ensure security, this joint is across the stem clamp... which should help.

Now to the scary bit- the carbon sections are also bonded in with Araldite 2015. I cut them out of a lightly used, and hilariously narrow raceface bar.

Do I fear for my teeth riding this? Not really. I've done maths, but I'm also not a very big person and am not sending 20ft gaps. Been riding it for a year or so I think.

There's more on my insta @nickb_makes

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
The centre joint is a concern. Not practical to print the whole thing? Printer size limitation?

If nothing else, I love the look.

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 16:02 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
The centre joint is a concern. Not practical to print the whole thing? Printer size limitation?

If nothing else, I love the look.

Ya, too tall to print in 1 piece. This was piggybacked on another print job and I didn't want to increase the overall height.

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 16:04 Quote
Fair enough. You're still alive, so it appears to be fit for purpose!

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 16:06 Quote
[Quote="Fabris"]
benneyboi wrote:

Do I fear for my teeth riding this? Not really. I've done maths, but I'm also not a very big person and am not sending 20ft gaps. Been riding it for a year or so I think.

Be careful with handlebars. I had a year or so on two different bars. The third broke on the second ride. All good now. Better carbon.

http://www.peterverdone.com/dunkirk/

photo

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 0:15 Quote
[Quote="pvd666"]
Fabris wrote:
benneyboi wrote:

Be careful with handlebars. I had a year or so on two different bars. The third broke on the second ride. All good now. Better carbon.

http://www.peterverdone.com/dunkirk/

photo

Impressive failure. I hope you recovered fully by now.

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 3:47 Quote
Which went first between the bars and wheel? Or did they go at the same time?

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 7:12 Quote
What's up with that wheel?

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
pvd666 wrote:
photo

I read your previous blog post and MTBR thread after this failure occurred, but this is the first time I noticed that there is all sorts of bad Photoshop going on in this picture. lol

Carry on.

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
JVance wrote:
pvd666 wrote:
photo

I read your previous blog post and MTBR thread after this failure occurred, but this is the first time I noticed that there is all sorts of bad Photoshop going on in this picture. lol

Carry on.

That's probably not photoshop but the (automatic) post-processing of the camera of the phone he took the photo with.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
Smart phones have settings that end up creating effects like that. If you look at some photos it removes the spokes to try and smooth the photo.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019587
Mobile Version of Website