Stumpjumper Pro vs Expert

PB Forum :: Specialized
Stumpjumper Pro vs Expert
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2023 at 11:48 Quote
I'm currently on a 2018 Cannondale Jekyll 2, x01 build. I've been living in Colombia for a few months now and I want to bring a bike here. The jekyll is too much bike for 95% of my riding so I'm looking for a trail bike. I would like a bike that I can keep up on group rides, there's some groups to ride to small towns, 99% cross country. But also there's some bike parks here that we have to earn our downhills. So pedaling efficiency is huge for me.

Without ever riding a Stumpjumper and going by youtube reviews.. I would like to buy 1 so I can bring it back to Colombia in June. I'm torn between the Expert vs Pro. The money isn't really a problem, but the question is: Are the upgrades worth the extra $1500?

Pro --- Expert
Carbon wheels VS aluminum wheels
DT Swiss 350 VS DT Swiss 370
X01 AXS vs X01
Carbon crank vs Aluminum crank
Fox Factory vs Fox Performance Elite
Carbon bars vs aluminum bars
Bike yoke dropper vs Oneup dropper

Is it worth the extra $1500? I wouldn't mind saving money because I have to buy a car here soon.. I'm also skeptical about carbon wheels. I've had some bad luck with aluminum wheelsets because I always manage to damage them.

I was thinking that I could get the expert, put the 54t gear in the DT Swiss 370 and upgrade to AXS. And sell the X01 derailleur. Also I have a brand new Fox transfer on my Jekyll that I could swap for the oneup dropper if ppl say its better.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 10, 2023 at 12:59 Quote
i-squared-r wrote:
I'm currently on a 2018 Cannondale Jekyll 2, x01 build. I've been living in Colombia for a few months now and I want to bring a bike here. The jekyll is too much bike for 95% of my riding so I'm looking for a trail bike. I would like a bike that I can keep up on group rides, there's some groups to ride to small towns, 99% cross country. But also there's some bike parks here that we have to earn our downhills. So pedaling efficiency is huge for me.

Without ever riding a Stumpjumper and going by youtube reviews.. I would like to buy 1 so I can bring it back to Colombia in June. I'm torn between the Expert vs Pro. The money isn't really a problem, but the question is: Are the upgrades worth the extra $1500?

Pro --- Expert
Carbon wheels VS aluminum wheels
DT Swiss 350 VS DT Swiss 370
X01 AXS vs X01
Carbon crank vs Aluminum crank
Fox Factory vs Fox Performance Elite
Carbon bars vs aluminum bars
Bike yoke dropper vs Oneup dropper

Is it worth the extra $1500? I wouldn't mind saving money because I have to buy a car here soon.. I'm also skeptical about carbon wheels. I've had some bad luck with aluminum wheelsets because I always manage to damage them.

I was thinking that I could get the expert, put the 54t gear in the DT Swiss 370 and upgrade to AXS. And sell the X01 derailleur. Also I have a brand new Fox transfer on my Jekyll that I could swap for the oneup dropper if ppl say its better.

With the current sale that Specialized is running I would 100% go for the Pro, it's definitely worth the $1500 extra. An XO1 AXS upgrade kit is roughly $600, and those wheels are around $1k. Then you add up the nicer brakes, suspension, and other higher end bits, you get a lot of upgrades for the money.

The Pro will also have better resale based on the spec.

Posted: Apr 10, 2023 at 17:23 Quote
I bought the S3 Expert , and although its a great bike (especially at the current sale price) I wish I had spent a few more bucks for the Pro instead.
The only thing I don't like about the Pro is the AXS (which I would have switched out for cable operated XO)…......who knows - maybe there's a Pro in my future, but don't tell my wife , lol.

Posted: Apr 11, 2023 at 1:17 Quote
I’d save the money and go for the Expert. It’ll be just as much fun to ride.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2023 at 8:14 Quote
Update: I ordered the Expert in white. So the pro wasn't a big increase in cost, but I decided to save money and put that towards a car here and the bike rack. I doubt the pro would've made me any faster. I'm thinking the white stumpjumper would look nice on top of a blue BMW lol

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009157
Mobile Version of Website