How does ochain affect high pivot bikes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
How does ochain affect high pivot bikes?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 26, 2022 at 14:36 Quote
I have a Commencal Supreme and Im very happy with the bikes performance. But after I heared about Ochain and its benefits, I was wondering how much you could possibly improve the performance of this already great bike. So Im curious if anyone has experience with high pivot and ochain. Is it worth the 300$?

FL
Posted: May 26, 2022 at 17:24 Quote
For a high pivot bike it’s a waste. High pivot bikes already have super low pedal kickback so you’d just be adding more degrees of engagement to your drivetrain for pretty much no positives. Here’s the kinematics of a few high pivot bikes if you want to see for yourself.

https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2020/09/commencal-supreme-29-2018.html?m=1

O+
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 7:55 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
For a high pivot bike it’s a waste. High pivot bikes already have super low pedal kickback so you’d just be adding more degrees of engagement to your drivetrain for pretty much no positives. Here’s the kinematics of a few high pivot bikes if you want to see for yourself.

https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2020/09/commencal-supreme-29-2018.html?m=1

Those charts show 5 degree of kickback on the 22 Supreme. I have a friend who uses Ochain snd his and says he likes the benefits. I’ve seen others on Instagram also. I put in an order for one and will try on the 6degree setting.

So maybe not a big benefit like a low pivot bike but there might be some. The pedal kick also changes depending on what front chainring you have and which one you are in on the rear. The smaller the gear in the back, the less kick there is. Also how many points of engagement your hub is, also if you are under braking or not.

So bottom line, if you’d can afford it, sure try it. It will make a small change in feel.

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 2:10 Quote
Bikeater wrote:
I have a Commencal Supreme and Im very happy with the bikes performance. But after I heared about Ochain and its benefits, I was wondering how much you could possibly improve the performance of this already great bike. So Im curious if anyone has experience with high pivot and ochain. Is it worth the 300$?

Hey @bikeeater
I got the Supreme 29/27 and i'm running ochain on it. Its still an ENORMOUS upgrade to be honest! If your suspension and breaks are fine, this is BY FAR the best upgrade you can get for that money! It runs way more smooth, the rear suspension is working a lot better, even when breaking! You are gliding over the track with your feet. Its amazing! I can recommend it to anyone who rides downhill oriented! PS: I run the 6°. Its enough on the supreme Smile Give it a try, you want be dissapointed!

I also got it on my Santa Cruz Bullit EMTB now! This thing is worth every cent!

FL
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 2:13 Quote
same effect can be achieved with a couple extra chain links and/or swithching clutch off..................

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 22:24 Quote
Great on high pivot
Not as effective on high pivot with a correspondingly high idler

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 4:44 Quote
naptime wrote:
same effect can be achieved with a couple extra chain links and/or swithching clutch off..................

That’s not true. Chain length and derailleur slack have no effect on pedal Kickback.

FL
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 5:07 Quote
carlinojoe317 wrote:
naptime wrote:

That’s not true. Chain length and derailleur slack have no effect on pedal Kickback.

Try it, prove me wrong

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
naptime wrote:
carlinojoe317 wrote:
naptime wrote:

Try it, prove me wrong

The addition to breakaway force from a clutch is not the same as pedal kickback at all

FL
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 20:53 Quote
OK guess I'll go out an spend a load of £$£$ on a chainring that solves a problem that didn't exist before the chainring....... Or I could just set my bike up properly.

I never said it weas the same.. same effect. That's why WC DH racers swtched cluthes off before they where adjustable.

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 9:50 Quote
naptime wrote:
OK guess I'll go out an spend a load of £$£$ on a chainring that solves a problem that didn't exist before the chainring....... Or I could just set my bike up properly.

I never said it weas the same.. same effect. That's why WC DH racers swtched cluthes off before they where adjustable.

Pk has always been a problem/trade off/design consideration.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 7:17 Quote
naptime wrote:

The pedal and crank arm getting pulled backward has nothing to do with slack in the chain, Especially under braking. If you cassette and chainring have tension and your rear axle is extending, it pulls you crank backwards. It’s different on very bike, so you can’t just say “try it”.

FL
Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 8:13 Quote
I just did....
Can you criticise without trying¿
You're right kick back exists, I had a Scott high Octane that had terrible kick back and pedal Bob but that was aboot a 2001 bike....
Never had kick back effect my riding since.. admittedly my next full suss bike was a mk1 Furious an the ONLY time I got kickback on that was my own fault for having too short a chain an hitting a drop in the biggest cog..... MTB is FULL of gimmicks, allway has been allways will be. But, if you feel like a few hundred bones on a chainring will help you go faster.. I'm not gonna stop ya.

Anyway, single speed is the future!!

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
naptime wrote:
I just did....
Can you criticise without trying¿
You're right kick back exists, I had a Scott high Octane that had terrible kick back and pedal Bob but that was aboot a 2001 bike....
Never had kick back effect my riding since.. admittedly my next full suss bike was a mk1 Furious an the ONLY time I got kickback on that was my own fault for having too short a chain an hitting a drop in the biggest cog..... MTB is FULL of gimmicks, allway has been allways will be. But, if you feel like a few hundred bones on a chainring will help you go faster.. I'm not gonna stop ya.

Anyway, single speed is the future!!

it would be strange for a bike that has high PK to also have low AS, resulting in lots of pedal bob,
unless the PK happened deeper in the travel than sag, in which case it would mean the design was poor.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 12:48 Quote
Im running one of these on my rm instinct. I must say I'm very sceptical about new tech but was lent one to give it a go.
I have noticed a big difference in how effective my suspension is working. This is because of the ochain the suspension is free to do what it should do with out being affected buy chain growth as the suspension moves through its travel. So much so I have had to add pressure into my shock to compensate for this. As well as downs I have noticed significantly more traction on techy climbs as the suspension is free to move and there for work better and track the trail more effectively.
If you can give it a go. I have now brought one and love it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011948
Mobile Version of Website