Strange Chain Problem

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Strange Chain Problem
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
Hello. I was hoping someone here had some advice. My chain randomly gets loose and stays that way for a few days, then the problem goes away. I feel like I've exhuasted all options and can't figure it out. Readjusted the derailleur, reindexed, new cable, new chain, etc.

I have a clutch, and it works fine. When the problem sets in I hear my chain bashing around the chain guard like crazy. When the problem randomly fixes itself I can even turn off the clutch and there is enough tension to keep it from smacking around. The strangest thing is that the problem sets in when the bike is just sitting in my shed. I will ride for a week and no problem, then I use it the next morning and immediately it's smacking around everywhere.

The one thing that I did notice is that the chain is much tighter after switching to a lower gear/larger cog. It's much looser when shifting to a higher gear/smaller cog. The cog itself doesn't change the tension, just which direction I switch from.

Does anyone have any clue as to what this issue might be? Thanks.

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 13:15 Quote
Can you take a picture of your chain & derailleur when you are in both your small/small combination and big/big combination?

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 13:48 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Can you take a picture of your chain & derailleur when you are in both your small/small combination and big/big combination?

Yeah. It might not be helpful though. I only have a rear derailleur, and it's an e-bike with wheel guards that make it difficult to see. Is there something you think I should be looking for? Any issue that causes the loose tension in certain shifting directions?

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 0:37 Quote
Sounds like a b-screw adjustment issue, photos would help

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 10:49 Quote
It also sounds like your chain is too long. Is the derailleur cage getting chain tension on the hardest gear?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008580
Mobile Version of Website