Driggs' 2020 Triaero Atlas / ICAN P1 build. Can a chinese frame hold up?

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Driggs' 2020 Triaero Atlas / ICAN P1 build. Can a chinese frame hold up?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
After browsing for what seems like years, I bit the bullet and bought an ICAN P1 frame after finding good reviews on their road, fat and wheel builds.
https://icancycling.com/collections/mtb-frame/products/trail-bike-frame-p1

After a few short weeks I received the frame, inspected it, and gave it my approval.

My initial plan was to run DVO front and rear shocks. This resulted in settling with a somewhat early 1990's Hartford Whalers theme. I wanted to utilize the DVO anodized green color scheme throughout the bike to match. Ideally i was hoping to only have the 4 colors on the bike (Blue from frame, Green from DVO, black and white).

As the parts started to roll in, I became aware that the piggyback reservoir on the DVO Topaz would hit my downtube under full travel. Well, crap. I swapped in my Fox DPX2 which had a higher and smaller reservoir and the same issue. It seemed like a Cane Creek DB AIR IL was my best option. There goes my green color accent scheme.....

Everything else went together smoothly. As of 7/28/21 Ive done about 40 miles on the bike and no issues.

Pros
Build quality seems great!
No voids with my minimal NDT capabilites (I do not have a full scanner, but instead a small handheld one).
Price.

Cons
Paint is crap.
Paint is thick in areas which prevents proper alignment (had to sand down around the rear hub seats so it would sit in the cradle properly).
Paint overlap/Poor taping around bearing areas. Good thing these are hidden.
Lower rear triangle flares out a little too early. My feet come in contact more often than I would like. This being my first boost bike I have to see some other bikes in person. Perhaps this is just "a thing".
There are a ton of ports for in-frame wiring. Why is this a bad thing? Because now I have to 3d print 900 plugs for them.
Stickers/Badging. I added SPANK stickers just because I felt like I couldnt overdo it anymore than TRIAERO had. Now I have 8 different fonts on the frame...

Frame
ICAN P1 / Triaero Atlas

Bearings

Fork
DVO Diamond D1 Boost 27.5

Wheels (built by orbwheels)
Spank 350 Vibrocore
Industry Nine Hydra Hubs in Lime

Tires
F - Vittoria Mazza G2.0 27.5x2.6
R - Vittoria Martello G2.0 27.5x2.6

Brakes
Magura MT5 w/ 180mm Rotors
QM40 Adapters

Derailluer
Shimano XT RD-M8000

Shifter
Archer D1X

Chain
Shimano XTR

Cassette
Sunrace CSMX80 11-50T

Bottom Bracket
FSA MegaEVO

Crank
FSA SL-K Modular BB392EVO 175mm

Crank Gear
Absolute Black Oval 30t

Bash/Chain Guide
Absolute Black ISCG05

Pedals
Spank Spike

Headset
Cane Creek Hellbender 70

Handlebar
Spank Oozy 780 Vibrocore

Grips
Supacaz

Stem
Spank Spoon 318 43mm

Dropper
Magura Vyron 150mm

Seat
Spank Oozy 280

Heres some dusty pictures after a 40 mile ride

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
I just built a P1 a few weeks ago. Ran into similar issues getting a shock to fit. My old Fox FLOAT DPS was still rubbing the frame in the only orientation that let it fit. I settled on a Rockshox Monarch RT3. It fits fine and provides a really smooth ride for low $$. The heel strike was another problem I encountered. I was running 175’s. I grabbed a pair of GX Eagle 170’s and the frame/heel clearance improved a ton. I grabbed a roll of 3M 2228 tape and covered the chain/seat stays where chain slap/ heel strikes were an issue and it looks decent. I also covered the lower end of the down tube since most generic frame protectors are 3-4x the price. I’ve done about 5-6 solid rides on this bike so far. The last two rides were with a mullet setup which makes this bike rip. I’ve blasted through some chunky rock gardens, done plenty of jumps and no issues with frame strength or flex. This bike is really high quality and a hell of a lot of fun!

Posted: Dec 22, 2021 at 2:11 Quote
How is the bike holding up?
I was looking into the ICAN brand for a new track bike but came across the P1 as a nice replacement for my trailbike. I can't seem to find much info online for the frameset but also what's included (shock mounting hardware, seatpostclamp, ...) What size of shock do you run because I can't find a nice 200x51 except for the RS Monarch and they don't have a 200x51 CK DBair IL anymore.

Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 21:19 Quote
JasperDeBauw wrote:
How is the bike holding up?
I was looking into the ICAN brand for a new track bike but came across the P1 as a nice replacement for my trailbike. I can't seem to find much info online for the frameset but also what's included (shock mounting hardware, seatpostclamp, ...) What size of shock do you run because I can't find a nice 200x51 except for the RS Monarch and they don't have a 200x51 CK DBair IL anymore.

Bike is holding up great! ICAN includes the headset, dropout (order another just in case), shock mounting hardware, seatpost clamp, and the rear axle (screw type). The shock mounting hardware from ICAN only consisted of aluminum spacers to make both upper and lower eyelets use 22.2x8 hardware - so you still have to purchase two 22.2x8 mounting hardware kits. I got my RS Monarch RT3 from Planet Cyclery. (Looks like they still have them on sale).

FL
Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 15:40 Quote
@xnbsx: Thanks for sharing your build! I built an ICAN P1 as well last year! I ran into the same problem with the piggyback DVO Topaz T3 that I bought used from Pinkbike. So I had to sell it on Pinkbike for about $50 less than I bought it. Good lesson learned. Anyone thinking of buying the P1 frame, it will not fit shock with piggyback reservoir

@imarks99: I settled with the Rockshox Monarch RT3 as well. I'm running 170 cranks as well, and so far so good. only 1-2 instances I can remember having rock strikes. This is after about 25 ride sessions. Not enough to be a nuisance. Overall, happy with the 170 cranks. I agree with the quality of the frame too!

@JasperDeBauw: You won't be disappointed with the frame. After 6 months of riding and about 25 ride sessions, I've done some black diamond rock gardens, plenty of jumps, 4 foot drops, and the frame is solid. I agree with imarks99 about what's provided by ICAN (headset, extra dropout, rear thru-axle, aluminum spacers for rear shock mounting hardware, and warranty card. I didn't get a seatpost clamp, confirm with ICAN)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014575
Mobile Version of Website