Priorities:New Wheels vs dropper

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Priorities:New Wheels vs dropper
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
I have a 2018 SC Hightower with 27.5 + wheels and a failed but functional reverb dropper post. I’m planning to replace the dropper w a PNW, but am considering getting a 29er wheel set first. Which would you do first ?

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
I'm a relative noob to mountain biking and I utterly enjoy my 29er with a dropper post. Can't imagine doing without either.
However, I can't see how a new wheelset with tires is comparable to a dropper post cost wise.
I would spend a little less on each and get both.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
I would deal with the failed part first. Last thing you would want is to buy wheels and then the dropper completely stop working before you could or wanted to spend the money.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 5:41 Quote
Agree with above: Fix or replace the dropper first.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
Brand X dropper, and the most expensive set of wheels you can afford.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 7:33 Quote
Wheelsets are place where it really is good to shoot for the highest quality(not price) you can get. It makes a big difference. I wouldn't skimp on that unless you don't plan on holding onto the bike anyway.

So, fix your seatpost. Seatposts and the wheels you should be shooting for aren't really in the same price category.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 18:01 Quote
Explodo wrote:
Wheelsets are place where it really is good to shoot for the highest quality(not price) you can get. It makes a big difference. I wouldn't skimp on that unless you don't plan on holding onto the bike anyway.

So, fix your seatpost. Seatposts and the wheels you should be shooting for aren't really in the same price category.

On that note, what wheels do you prefer? What hubs?

I’m in the market, like to descend but not afraid to climb to get there, good mix of flow and chunk. My order would be 650b rather than 29”

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 18:55 Quote
Chris King hubs are the top of the mountain. They're also expensive and not the lightest. My i9 hubs that came on my ripmo have also given me no trouble, so I can't complain about them. I9 hubs aren't much cheaper than king hubs. Beyond that I have little current knowledge. Other than the one set of i9s, I've only had king hubs for over 20 years. I've encountered other hubs, but not through my own use.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 5:38 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Explodo wrote:

On that note, what wheels do you prefer? What hubs?

I’m in the market, like to descend but not afraid to climb to get there, good mix of flow and chunk. My order would be 650b rather than 29”

DT Swiss has always been solid for me. DT Swiss 350 hubs and EX 471 rims would do nicely.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 6:40 Quote
I would stick with the 27.5 set up but I'm not a big fan of 29ers so I would go with the dropper first, that being said I would go with some we are one composites with some dt350 hubs. I actually just had some built up to replace some sc reserves that I had as I switched back to a 27.5 from the 29's.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
I ended up getting some WeAreOne Unions in 27.5, with Industry9 hydras. Had ordered them direct from WeAreOne back at the end of April but found out they’re about 4months behind on building up wheels so cancelled the order and was looking at something different.

But then found out there’s a local (to me) custom wheel builder who deals in WA1 stuff. And he had a set ready to build, so I ordered from him. I just got got the message from the wheel builder that they’re ready to roll. Cant wait to go snag them this weekend.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
Explodo wrote:
Chris King hubs are the top of the mountain. They're also expensive and not the lightest. My i9 hubs that came on my ripmo have also given me no trouble, so I can't complain about them. I9 hubs aren't much cheaper than king hubs. Beyond that I have little current knowledge. Other than the one set of i9s, I've only had king hubs for over 20 years. I've encountered other hubs, but not through my own use.

Aren’t the CK hubs center lock only now? F that noise…

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 13:12 Quote
DHhack wrote:
Explodo wrote:

Aren’t the CK hubs center lock only now? F that noise…

Huh...maybe so, at least for now. All they have on their site is centerlock. Everyone bitches about too many standards, but people also complain when old standards get dropped. I've become indifferent to CL vs 6-bolt, so I guess I don't care too much.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
I ended up getting some WeAreOne Unions in 27.5, with Industry9 hydras. Had ordered them direct from WeAreOne back at the end of April but found out they’re about 4months behind on building up wheels so cancelled the order and was looking at something different.

But then found out there’s a local (to me) custom wheel builder who deals in WA1 stuff. And he had a set ready to build, so I ordered from him. I just got got the message from the wheel builder that they’re ready to roll. Cant wait to go snag them this weekend.

You would not think it would be that big a difference, but going to the Hydra's from the Torch is game changing. Makes me want to sell the Torches and pick up another set of Hydras. They are also quieter, but that could be a grease thing.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 14:15 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

You would not think it would be that big a difference, but going to the Hydra's from the Torch is game changing. Makes me want to sell the Torches and pick up another set of Hydras. They are also quieter, but that could be a grease thing.

How are the hydras different? I have some Torch hubs that came on a bike my wife bought me and I've had no trouble with them and I like that they're as loud as old CK hubs, but a different tone. Old CK hubs are like a Ducati and my Torch hub is more like a Japanese bike.

I don't like quiet hubs. I don't like that I tried coasting to get someone's attention today and my new CK internals weren't loud enough to do a damned thing. They're very quiet and that bothers me.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010038
Mobile Version of Website