Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 6:37 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
How does everyone have their shifter cable routed and secured to keep it away from the chainring? Everything I've tried looks precariously close.

I've cable tied mine to the CS near the chain ring. I also have a piece of clear plastic tube around it.

The routing of the shifter cable around the BB isn't great - I need to have a bit of a play with it to see if there is a better route.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 7:25 Quote
Mine’s close too. Never had an issue... but thanks to your posting this question I waltzed out to look and realized my chain ring has backed off and become quite loose... which is likely the cause of my recent grumblings of ghost shifting in my granny gear lol

Cheers?!?!

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 8:14 Quote
Thanks. Do you guys have it running below the bb, or between the bb and the pivot?

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
Thanks. Do you guys have it running below the bb, or between the bb and the pivot?

Mine routes below the BB. Has two cable bosses that are angled in a way that it made more sense for mine.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 17:14 Quote
After a bit of routing experimentation today I realized that under the bb is the only way that will allow the slack in the cable the swingarm requires. Running it between the bb and pivot would bind.

Side note, I love external routing so much.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 23:37 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
After a bit of routing experimentation today I realized that under the bb is the only way that will allow the slack in the cable the swingarm requires. Running it between the bb and pivot would bind.

Side note, I love external routing so much.

Between BB and swingarm is how ours are run on both Murmur and Swoop. Only issue is some paint rub.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 23:42 Quote
Mine is between as well but I may revisit.

Also love external routing.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
I stand corrected, thanks. That was my preferred path, before my erroneous conclusion, so I'm glad to hear it works.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 11:19 Quote
While talking cable routing. I'm not owning a Starling but wondered how the brakes are fitted.
The best about external routing IMO is that you can swap brakes without having to bleed them. But is that possible on a Starling? The hole between the side plate and the headtube seems rather small to fit a whole caliper through?

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 11:24 Quote
Kabookie - on the factory Murmur (the one I have) you can ad it doesn't have a head tube gusset. You just need to unbolt the shock.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 11:25 Quote
If you want to run the cable through that hole you'd have to seperate it from the brake. I have seen a few where they ran the cable outside the gusset (presumably for that reason).

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 15:46 Quote
Complexity has suddenly increased!

I had thought Starling had just sent a spare pair of adjustable mount plates, but they're actually different geo. It may be hard to see in this pic, but on the lower (unmounted) plate the short side is a bit steeper than on the upper (mounted) plate.

photo

Additionally, it included this explanatory note:

photo

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 0:51 Quote
photo

photo
My rear mech cable routing. I have a piece of clear plastic tube over the cable where it is close to the chainring.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 6:08 Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the pics.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
I'm having dark thoughts....I am thinking about selling my Murmur.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012248
Mobile Version of Website