Anyone gone single speed on ebike?

PB Forum :: eMTB
Anyone gone single speed on ebike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
it would eliminate all derailleur and cassette problems and could be good for dh where you don't need to pedal going down?

Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
My build was a single speed before I added the 3-speed IGH. 46t chainring and 18t cog. It worked, and I could get around, but I had to make sure I got a good cadence going before a steep hills, and downhill or above 20 mph I was ghost pedaling. I like the 3-speed for the simplicity of 'climbing, flat, speed' gears which, combined with 5 levels of assist per gear has handled everything I've wanted to do so far.

Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 23:50 Quote
I've thought about it, but need my gears for the steeper climbs, even with a motor. Hopefully e bike manufacturers will go with gearboxes someday and ditch the derailleur.

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 0:46 Quote
Just as you wouldn’t go single speed with your car or motorbike, this wouldn’t work

O+
Posted: May 29, 2021 at 4:35 Quote
No, but I just installed a box prime 9 speed drivetrain on my Levo and locked the dérailleur out of the lowest 50t gear. So, it’s essentially an 8spd w/11-42 range. Gonna ride it tomorrow for the first rip, we’ll see how it goes...

Posted: May 29, 2021 at 6:51 Quote
rtnyrider wrote:
No, but I just installed a box prime 9 speed drivetrain on my Levo and locked the dérailleur out of the lowest 50t gear. So, it’s essentially an 8spd w/11-42 range. Gonna ride it tomorrow for the first rip, we’ll see how it goes...

I recently installed the Box-3 9-speed 11-50 because that's what we had in the shop, and you can't hardly find anything else that affordable and durable. My home build is an SC Nomad with a Bafang BBSHD, and I haven't had any issues with the drivetrain. My system has a shift sensor on the shift cable which also helps...as well as using the normal cautions when shifting.

My biggest surprise...and it probably should not have been, knowing how much torque this motor has...was that I need much less shifting obviously with this motor. I'm not sticking it in one gear and riding the trail, but the motor sure pulls better than my legs without a lot of constant rowing on the shifter. A drivetrain with a gearbox will be quite a boon if/when they come out and do it at a decently affordable level. I wonder how they will pedal if one has to pedal back to the trailhead because of a battery or motor failure without normal gearing? It's the only reason I'm hanging on to my 50T cog.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008169
Mobile Version of Website