Fork choices for 2020 Trek Remedy

PB Forum :: Trek
Fork choices for 2020 Trek Remedy
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
(Apologies for repeating. Also posted in other forum)

Hi All.

I'm considering upgrading the forks on my Trek Remedy and have the following options.

1) Fox Racing Shox 38 Float Factory GRIP2 Tapered Fork 2021 27.5 110mm Boost, 44mm offset, 160mm travel

2) Fox Racing Shox 38 Float Factory GRIP2 Tapered Fork 2021 27.5 110mm Boost, 44mm offset, 170mm travel

3) Fox Racing Shox 36 Float Factory GRIP2 Tapered Fork 2021 27.5 110mm Boost, 44mm offset, 160mm travel

Pros and cons are

1) Slightly more expensive and slightly heavier.
2) As above plus would the extra travel have an adverse effect on geometry and handling?
3) Currently out of stock in the UK so would have to wait for 2022 releases.

If anyone has an opinion or experience with any of the above then happy to hear. I don't need to have technical explanations just first hand experience.

Many thanks in advance.

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 17:42 Quote
MarkyB916 wrote:

Hi All.

I'm considering upgrading the forks on my Trek Remedy and have the following options.

1) Fox Racing Shox 38 Float Factory GRIP2 Tapered Fork 2021 27.5 110mm Boost, 44mm offset, 160mm travel

2) Fox Racing Shox 38 Float Factory GRIP2 Tapered Fork 2021 27.5 110mm Boost, 44mm offset, 170mm travel

3) Fox Racing Shox 36 Float Factory GRIP2 Tapered Fork 2021 27.5 110mm Boost, 44mm offset, 160mm travel

Pros and cons are

2) As above plus would the extra travel have an adverse effect on geometry and handling?

If anyone has an opinion or experience with any of the above then happy to hear. I don't need to have technical explanations just first hand experience.

Many thanks in advance.

If you've been riding your bike with the stock fork for a while and have no issues, then there is no need to go to a laonger travel fork. If you think it could be a little bigger if you are riding aggressive, you will not notice a huge difference in geo between the 160 vs 170mm, i do not believe.

the 38 factory is a beautiful fork, at 170 you won't ever say it's not enough travel Wink

here is my 2020 Remedy 8 with Cascade Components linkage and a 170mm Lyric RC2

remedy 8 w cascade components linkage

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 22:15 Quote
I've thought about upgrading fork to a Fox 36 just like you but I wanted to give the Lyrik a chance. So rather than buying a new fork I'm upgrading internals to the air spring(debonair air spring c1) with DSD Runt and damper side with Push HC97. Runt will be here next week and waiting for HC97 to come in stock.
I've ridden a 36 with FIT 4 no grip 2 and it felt great in my opinion.
Boomcat, agree with you, I've considered bumping up to 170mm I don't think you'd feel a difference since setting Sag will take up most of your 10mm. Either way, you have choices and can't go wrong with any of them.

FL
Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 0:37 Quote
Hi. Thanks for the comment. I've currently got the Lyrik RC and it's a very good fork. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the upgrades.

I decided to go for the 38s with 160mm travel, Grip 2 etc.

I made that choice partly due to not being able to find any 36s in the UK and also because I managed to locate a set of the 38s for a really good price. Too good to pass up. I'm OK with the 160mm travel as it matches what I have currently but I also have the ability to go up to 1800mm if I choose (will probably set 170mm as my upper limit). The 38s will also give that extra bit a of stiffness for a small cost in weight gain.

I'm trying to make my Remedy as good as it can be as I've heard rumours that Trek might not be making them after this years models which is a real shame as I'm loving mine.

Trekshark wrote:
I've thought about upgrading fork to a Fox 36 just like you but I wanted to give the Lyrik a chance. So rather than buying a new fork I'm upgrading internals to the air spring(debonair air spring c1) with DSD Runt and damper side with Push HC97. Runt will be here next week and waiting for HC97 to come in stock.
I've ridden a 36 with FIT 4 no grip 2 and it felt great in my opinion.
Boomcat, agree with you, I've considered bumping up to 170mm I don't think you'd feel a difference since setting Sag will take up most of your 10mm. Either way, you have choices and can't go wrong with any of them.

FL
Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 1:00 Quote
Hi.

160 travel has been OK so far, especially where I am in the UK which doesn't have much in the way of big drops. My main reason for considering 170mm travel was due to the lack of availability and options for forks at the moment.

As luck would have it I've located the 38s with 160mm travel at a really good price and they're arriving today (excited).

S, what the deal with the Cascade Components linkage? Is it an upgrade or did the stock one fail ?

booMcaT wrote:
MarkyB916 wrote:

Hi All.

Pros and cons are

Many thanks in advance.

If you've been riding your bike with the stock fork for a while and have no issues, then there is no need to go to a laonger travel fork. If you think it could be a little bigger if you are riding aggressive, you will not notice a huge difference in geo between the 160 vs 170mm, i do not believe.

the 38 factory is a beautiful fork, at 170 you won't ever say it's not enough travel Wink

here is my 2020 Remedy 8 with Cascade Components linkage and a 170mm Lyric RC2

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 6:06 Quote
MarkyB916 wrote:
Hi.

160 travel has been OK so far, especially where I am in the UK which doesn't have much in the way of big drops. My main reason for considering 170mm travel was due to the lack of availability and options for forks at the moment.

As luck would have it I've located the 38s with 160mm travel at a really good price and they're arriving today (excited).

S, what the deal with the Cascade Components linkage? Is it an upgrade or did the stock one fail ?

That is awesome! enjoy the fork!! Cascade linkage is strictly for the increased leverage curve, i keep aiming my bike down bigger and bigger stuff these days, also provides the remedy an additional 5-6mm of travel on the back end. rear travel increases even more with a 60mm stroke shock and the linkage, but you have to be careful with clearance at bottom out

if you want more progressivity, definitely give cascade components website a browse!

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
booMcaT wrote:
MarkyB916 wrote:
Hi.

That is awesome! enjoy the fork!! Cascade linkage is strictly for the increased leverage curve, i keep aiming my bike down bigger and bigger stuff these days, also provides the remedy an additional 5-6mm of travel on the back end. rear travel increases even more with a 60mm stroke shock and the linkage, but you have to be careful with clearance at bottom out

if you want more progressivity, definitely give cascade components website a browse!

I posed this question to Cascade and they said their link cannot be used with a 230x60mm shock. It has to be one or the other -- link and 57.5mm stroke, or 60mm stroke and no link.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 4:11 Quote
What do you think is best for my 2017 trek remedy 9.9 bike , i currently have 42mm offset installed on my bike and it's a 2017 rockshox lyrik rct3 160mm . So do you think it's best for me to get a 2021 fox 44mm offset instead or 37mm should do just fine ?

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
Less offset means slower/more stable steering, similar to a slacker HTA. If you move to 170mm, i wouldn't do it. If you keep 160mm, then it's a toss up.

FL
Posted: Mar 21, 2021 at 1:13 Quote
As per iliveonnotro's post. It's a bit of a toss up. If you're sticking with 160 travel I'd go with the 44mm offset. My thinking is that you're only changing the offset by +2mm whereas 37mm is changing it by -5mm. I know one is lower steering and the other faster but +2mm is not likely to affect it that much. Just my personal preference.

DennisGaela wrote:
What do you think is best for my 2017 trek remedy 9.9 bike , i currently have 42mm offset installed on my bike and it's a 2017 rockshox lyrik rct3 160mm . So do you think it's best for me to get a 2021 fox 44mm offset instead or 37mm should do just fine ?

Posted: Mar 29, 2021 at 18:45 Quote
I have just recently changed out the forks on my Trek Remedy 8 2020 to fox 36 grip2 170mm travel and what a difference! I was worried after i bought the forks that i would regret buying them due to it been an impulse buy when bored in lock down haha. But the difference is unreal comparing them to the stock lyrik fork, it took a lot of fiddling to get the grip2 set up correctly now i have the difference is worth the money!

Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 22:49 Quote
mskelton92 wrote:
I have just recently changed out the forks on my Trek Remedy 8 2020 to fox 36 grip2 170mm travel and what a difference! I was worried after i bought the forks that i would regret buying them due to it been an impulse buy when bored in lock down haha. But the difference is unreal comparing them to the stock lyrik fork, it took a lot of fiddling to get the grip2 set up correctly now i have the difference is worth the money!
Pictures?

O+
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 19:40 Quote
I threw a Cane Creek Helm MKII on my 2019 Remedy and it's awesome and way more burley than the Fox 36. I push harder it has harder in part because of better compliance but it also feels stiffer and seems to really flourish when you push in the steep and rough.

Posted: Apr 24, 2023 at 17:49 Quote
Ive got a 2016 remedy 7 and im not sure what the limit is on there ive got 140s on n needing more was looking at some bombers what are 180mm would that be too much you reckon?

FL
Posted: Jun 8, 2023 at 14:05 Quote
I'm thinking about changing my 2020 Remedy 8 fork to a Marzocchi Bomber Z1. While it has a grip damper I'm wondering if its worth the upgrade over the stock Lyrik Select + fork (with upgraded air spring). I'd consider the Fox 36 grip 2 but I don't really like to mess with lots of settings so it seems the bomber is a simpler option. Anyone compare the bomber to the Lyrik?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018585
Mobile Version of Website