Mx vs mtb protection

PB Forum :: Downhill
Mx vs mtb protection
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 6:07 Quote
Hey guys, as I have seen there is no topic related to this, if there is tell me. I want to buy a chest protector for downhill riding. I found a used alpinestars bionic chest protector for a discent price but it is the mx model. So, I'm wondering what's the difference between the mx and the mtb model. and which one I should buy if there is any difference. Thanks.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 15:37 Quote
Timodoulg wrote:
Hey guys, as I have seen there is no topic related to this, if there is tell me. I want to buy a chest protector for downhill riding. I found a used alpinestars bionic chest protector for a discent price but it is the mx model. So, I'm wondering what's the difference between the mx and the mtb model. and which one I should buy if there is any difference. Thanks.

Some of the MX chest protectors seem rather loose fitting and actually not very protective as it seems they would move/shift during an impact if you're sliding or rag-dolling. I'm not sure why they make them that way. I prefer the ones that fit like a jersey with built in protection. But bottom line, go with the ones that fit the most comfortable. Because if its not comfortable it'll cause rubbing and you'll end up not wearing it. Back in the day, we used to wear very form fitting Dianese protective jackets. Now those were the best protection. No shifting, well padded, hard shells, and very comfortable. Yes, they were warm but if you're DHing then its not really an issue.

I say for full on DH, go with the Dianese, even if no one uses those anymore. I would still use one if I were DHing.

https://www.dainese.com/us/en/bike/rival-vest-pro-203879721.html?dwvar_203879721_color=BLACK&cgid=bike#gclid=Cj0KCQiA7NKBBhDBARIsAHbXCB4h641nF9ZB56jZ5bnoD-6D7Ppw1pk0P_pRYXU8f9K7-RgXrYbJ1RAaAt4hEALw_wcB&start=1

Wow, nice. These are different from the ones I remember. Even comes with a hydration system.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 3:47 Quote
I would look for something typicaly for MTB. I bought Fox Titan Sport and holy cow its so heavy and restricts movement so much I feel like a turtle.

I would recommend something that is comfortable and low profile unless you are going full speed mode between the trees. When it comes to me I dont think I need a chest protector but I tend to fall on my shoulders more so I bought

- IXS Carve Short sleeves

When it comes to you I would be leaning towards Leatt Airfit Lite. But ofc it all depends on the terrain you ride on. On huge rocks those low profile armors are not very good.

Also before you buy anything look for its weight.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 0:46 Quote
Thank you all guys for your responses, so I actually bought them and tomorrow I'm going to test wear them.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013313
Mobile Version of Website