Official Calgary Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Calgary Riders Thread
Posted: Jul 7, 2018 at 21:45 Quote
was in the mood for some "downhill" on the good old giant bike tomorrow..
was considering going to COP from 10-5 tomorrow...whats it even like there? and anyone care to join?
im sure it's mellow there but I'll be going to try it out for the day. at 27.00

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 18:56 Quote
I found some dirt jumps by the river below 130th at Douglasdale.
https://goo.gl/maps/meYyL3rxnZ62
They have been there for a couple of years looks like nobody is riding now. An hour or two with the shovels will clean them right up, we are planning to do this in the next few days. Takes some bushwacking to get down there.

They are well built and whoever did it put some serious time into them.

Anyone know anything about them?

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 12:46 Quote
acdownhill wrote:
saskparkrider wrote:
If i were to pass through Calgary what are the must ride trails? I'm an experienced xc/trail rider. Not looking for huge gaps/jumps just some fun technical xc/trail riding.

Thanks
Canmore area:
Prairie view/jewel pass
Cox hill
Razors Edge
Prospectors

Bragg/moose:
Merlin
Ranger or sugar daddy/bobcat
Powderface ridg

Or in town I suggest fish creek

How "double black" is Razor's Edge? Are there ride arounds? Hoping to ride this trail with my gf. She is up for a challenge and is a very competent rider but she might not be up for some of the longer and steeper rock slabs I have seen pictures of.

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 22:24 Quote
dsoicher wrote:
acdownhill wrote:
saskparkrider wrote:
If i were to pass through Calgary what are the must ride trails? I'm an experienced xc/trail rider. Not looking for huge gaps/jumps just some fun technical xc/trail riding.

Thanks
Canmore area:
Prairie view/jewel pass
Cox hill
Razors Edge
Prospectors

Bragg/moose:
Merlin
Powderface ridg

How "double black" is Razor's Edge? Are there ride arounds? Hoping to ride this trail with my gf. She is up for a challenge and is a very competent rider but she might not be up for some of the longer and steeper rock slabs I have seen pictures of.

Thanks!

Every trail has GF lines worked in these days.....go for it.....

CM!

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 at 10:08 Quote
dsoicher wrote:
acdownhill wrote:
saskparkrider wrote:

Thanks
Canmore area:
Prairie view/jewel pass
Cox hill
Razors Edge
Prospectors

Bragg/moose:
Merlin
Powderface ridg

Thanks!

If she is fairly good at technical riding she should be fine for the most part. all the gnarly stuff has easy walkarounds, so it is a good trail to work yourself up to some bigger lines. I suggest doing prospectors first and trying all the slabs on that. if she finds that to be overwhelming, then razors will probably not be much fun. but if she love it, then hit up razors! no shame in walking a few of the lines.

Posted: Jul 10, 2018 at 18:07 Quote
Anyone ride the downhill trails at the Calgary Olympic park on the regular ?
I just got a mountain bike and looking to do some fun beginner / Intermediate downhill riding but don’t know anyone to ride with. If there’s Anyone keen to meet up or that doesnt mind me tagging along with them or their group it would be much appreciated !

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
Thanks for the advice guys, just what I was looking for! I think we are going to go for it.

Cheers!

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2018 at 18:20 Quote
Garage161 wrote:
Anyone ride the downhill trails at the Calgary Olympic park on the regular ?
I just got a mountain bike and looking to do some fun beginner / Intermediate downhill riding but don’t know anyone to ride with. If there’s Anyone keen to meet up or that doesnt mind me tagging along with them or their group it would be much appreciated !

Cop is fun to get warmed up on if your new and is fairly cheap. Don't let not having anybody with you hold you back just go and have fun. That's why we ride. Although I urge you to checkout moose mountain. Mmbts.com or on face book. 40 min from Calgary and absolutely amazing trails. It's a shuttle hill.

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 14:29 Quote
Starting to look into picking up a fat bike for shoulder season and winter riding. I don't have a huge budget (maybe $1500-ish) and need to sell another bike first, so just starting the research at this point. I'll probably end up going used, but am curious as to what I should be looking for. I've always been a fan of Surly, but the geo of something like the Pugsley seems pretty dated. The RM Blizzard seems like awesome bang for the buck. Any opinions on RSD? I'm assuming I probably need an XL (6'4) frame?

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 14:55 Quote
^ I would argue that for Fat Biking tires and tire pressure make a bigger difference than geometry. Studded tires aren't necessarily any good if the tread pattern is wrong. Aggressive tires like the Flowbeast/dunderbeast, Minion FBF etc. seem to be the way to go. Depending on where you ride studded tires can be imperative. The early RSD frames had some quality issues (welds) hopefully they have there QC fixed up now.

Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 18:33 Quote
Hi guys, Calgary will be my first stop for my Canada riding trip, looking for some decent local stores to pickup some fresh DH riding gear. any recommendations ?

Thanks heaps!

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 18:36 Quote
Bowcycle, Calgary Cycle 22x, Ridleys are all good options!
trennaz wrote:
Hi guys, Calgary will be my first stop for my Canada riding trip, looking for some decent local stores to pickup some fresh DH riding gear. any recommendations ?

Thanks heaps!

Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 19:51 Quote
YouHadMeAtDrugs wrote:
trennaz wrote:

Thanks heaps!

thanks dude, also heading from calgary back too whis, what are some must stops along the way, bike parks etc. cheers !!

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 21:05 Quote
Oh, the classics. Skip COP, it's a waste of time and money; instead roll out some shuttle laps at Moose Mountain. Invermere has a nice bike park in Panorama, and there's great shuttle trails at Mt. Swansea. Depending on your route, you might go through Fernie. Best riding in fernie is NOT at the bike park, but across the valley on Morrisey Ridge. And I can't speak from experience, but from what I've heard, Silverstar Bike Park near Vernon is a *must* stop
trennaz wrote:
YouHadMeAtDrugs wrote:
trennaz wrote:

Thanks heaps!

thanks dude, also heading from calgary back too whis, what are some must stops along the way, bike parks etc. cheers !!

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 11:25 Quote
trennaz wrote:
YouHadMeAtDrugs wrote:
trennaz wrote:

Thanks heaps!

Silverstar is great, I think #2 only to Whistler in Western Canada. Shuttling Martha Creek in Revy is worth while as well. You can also do a heli drop on Mt Carter. Squamish is worth some time (Half Nelson and friends) as well as Vancouver North shore (haven't ridden that one).

If your looking for must do trail riding I'd recommend Keystone and Frisby in Revy or Seven Summits if your taking the south route to Van. You could also work in South Chilcotin.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016377
Mobile Version of Website