How to understand rear shock travel?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How to understand rear shock travel?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 19:28 Quote
Looking at rear shocks online, I have found that it isn’t as straight forward with the amount of travel as forks are. Is there any easy way to find out the suspension travel bases on the shock info? Or is it dependent on other things, like frame, ect.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 19:53 Quote
You need to measure the amount of travel on your shock. This is called shock stroke. Pick a shock out with the same amount of stroke.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 20:16 Quote
And by measure they mean go on the manufacturers website and look at the specs to find out what the size of your shock is. One number is eye to eye length and the other is stroke.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 20:23 Quote
Don’t forget eyelet size and type.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 22:29 Quote
The travel is a function of the stroke length of the shock, and your frame.

My bike runs a 230mm x 60mm rear shock stock from the factory. The 230mm is the distance between the eyelets on the shock, and the 60mm is the stroke length (how far the shaft travels between full extension and full compression. In my case, 60mm stroke gives 150mm of rear travel on my bike (YT Jeffsy Mk1 27.5”). I upgraded to a 230mm x 65mm shock, and that provides 160mm of rear travel on my bike. The eye to eye length is the same so the shock fits in exactly like the stock one did, but the stroke is 5mm more, which translates to an additional 10mm of travel at the rear axle.

But it just so happens that a 230x65mm shock on a current model YT Capra 29 provides for 170mm of rear wheel travel. The Capra 27.5” needs a 250mm eye to eye length though, so a 230mm shock wouldn’t even fit.

You need to find a shock that’s eye to eye length is correct for your frame. And you need to know what stroke lengths are compatible with your frame.

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 at 1:20 Quote
The amount of travel (wheel travel) is normally totally fixed and designed like that by the manufacturer/designer.

Also normally designed to have a specific shock eye to eye length and stroke length.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027566
Mobile Version of Website