21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 0:07 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
The carbon is obviously not very robust in the down tube area but if I'm completely honest, a rock strike hard enough (or awkward enough) to truly destroy the frame would likely cause damage to most carbon bikes. I've got about 150 rides on my Evo and I have had the chunkiest of chunkiest impacts and I haven't had an issue so far. All I have is the stock guard and ride wrap. Meanwhile, I have seen a Yeti and Forbidden snap. If you want a truly robust frame and with no concern for rock impacts, buy alloy.

Maybe that’s who screams the hardest then gets the most attention.
How many thousands of these bikes have been sold and most ride without problems.

I also have over 100 riding days with STEVO, no problems.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 10:27 Quote
Same, with countless direct rock strikes in pretty much nothing but limestone and granite trails. It will probably explode next ride, but so far it’s been plenty tough.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 18:22 Quote
bentin wrote:
Same, with countless direct rock strikes in pretty much nothing but limestone and granite trails. It will probably explode next ride, but so far it’s been plenty tough.

I think it was a combination of things coming together, (good size rock and shape at speed in the right place) but it's not that uncommon to get cracks in that area, mostly due to bottoming on stuff after a jump I assume.
I do recommend filling in the hollow area of the guard with ridewrap chainstay wrap it fits perfectly.
The carbon repair company I used the owner rides a Stumpy evo that he purchased cracked in the same spot.
There was one listed on pink bike as well sold as is.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 18:27 Quote
Stumpy Evo rock guard mod
Stumpy Evo rock guard mod
This is the simple mod I recommend as a first step.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 4:39 Quote
I've been riding my EVO since June and had seen the previous comments about the thin downtube and thought, there's no way it really gets damaged that easily, is there? For added precaution, I threw a Rock Guardz protector on. While out on a ride up in Central PA yesterday, was riding down a chunkier trail with loose rocks and leaves and heard a thud from a rock that must have popped up, thought it might have hit the bash guard or Rock Guardz but wasn't super loud and didn't feel like a huge strike so I kept going. When I got home I cleaned off the bike and saw this:

photo
photo

Thought the Rock Guardz would have absorbed most of the bouncing rock but the frame underneath shows some "bullseye" in the paint. Don't know if the carbon is busted or if its just paint, need to get it better assessed.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 8:21 Quote
tbooz wrote:
I've been riding my EVO since June and had seen the previous comments about the thin downtube and thought, there's no way it really gets damaged that easily, is there? For added precaution, I threw a Rock Guardz protector on. While out on a ride up in Central PA yesterday, was riding down a chunkier trail with loose rocks and leaves and heard a thud from a rock that must have popped up, thought it might have hit the bash guard or Rock Guardz but wasn't super loud and didn't feel like a huge strike so I kept going. When I got home I cleaned off the bike and saw this:

photo
photo

Thought the Rock Guardz would have absorbed most of the bouncing rock but the frame underneath shows some "bullseye" in the paint. Don't know if the carbon is busted or if its just paint, need to get it better assessed.

oh man, sorry same thing, the key is to dampen with a material like polyurethane in my opinion, best would be polyurethane layer over hardshell, with polyurethane under it.
Did you do a ping test with a coin? The sound will be telling, hopefully, it is just the paint.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
Yeah, I did the coin test this morning, heard the normal ding ding then the duller sound near the side of it. Looks like a possible crack on one side of the bullseye shape. Definitely a bummer

Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
tbooz wrote:

photo
photo

oh man, sorry same thing, the key is to dampen with a material like polyurethane in my opinion, best would be polyurethane layer over hardshell, with polyurethane under it.
Did you do a ping test with a coin? The sound will be telling, hopefully, it is just the paint.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 8:41 Quote
I used Montenegro Manufacturing to repair the area. I'm pleased with the work.
http://www.montenegromfg.com/

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 9:08 Quote
How much do they charge for this kind of repair?

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 9:10 Quote
cvoc wrote:
It is case by case, I paid $300

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 13:31 Quote
Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
cvoc wrote:
It is case by case, I paid $300

Ok, good to know. So no real reason to have a heart attack in case there is some frame damage.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
Well you guys got me all paranoid so I took off the guard.
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
Damn, same bullseye impact I got. Probably didn't even notice it while riding either? Could you see a big mark on the guard?

cmarwood wrote:
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 12:07 Quote
tbooz wrote:
Damn, same bullseye impact I got. Probably didn't even notice it while riding either? Could you see a big mark on the guard?

cmarwood wrote:
I know I kicked up a decent size rock a few weeks ago but I figured the guard must have done it's job and never took it off to check until now. No damage to the guard itself. Did you try contacting specialized about it?

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
Has anyone discovered what the best/most robust downtube protection is available for the new Evo?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018402
Mobile Version of Website