29" wheel in 27.5 fork..

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 13:33 Quote
So looking here at my 27.5 ZEB it looks like there is ample clearance to fit a 29" wheel, has anyone tried fitting a 29" wheel to a non plus size 27.5 fork before? If it fits then what is the point in the 29" version and is the difference in the stanchions, the lowers or both?

I only ask cos I got a pretty expensive matching wheelset so it's not a cheap route to just buy a 29" fork and front wheel.... Besides mainly it's just because I want to see what all the 29" fuss is about so thought I'd just grab a cheap 29" wheel on Ebay and give it a try.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 13:51 Quote
Or in fact does the new ZEB and 38 even support 27.5+? If so then I reckon a 29 will fit.... Would be good if someone on here had both to hand and tried it.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
A boost 27.5" fork is the same as a 26+ fork. A Boost 29 fork is the same as a 27.5+ fork, you may be able to sneak a wheel in there but the chances of it working are very very low.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
Most modern 27.5 forks will not fit a 29" wheel.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 22:52 Quote
I actually tried this. Here is my 2019 Z1 27.5 with a Kenda Hellkat AEC 2.4 (measures at 61mm) on a 33mm internal 29 rim.
photo
photo
As you can see there is very very little clearance. when riding along (i went for a short mullet test ride) you hear rocks and sticks getting caught against the arch. Not reccomendable.
photo
photo
(aand no rotor as well)

There is definitely a difference in the lowers. Not sure about uppers. In my mind it would make sense having the same uppers for both but the offset could be different

FL
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 23:38 Quote
worth considering the effect on rake,
I was running 26 in a 650 fork. Recently went to mini mullet an put a 650 in the 650 fork. The one (and only so far) thing I immediatly noticed was slightly less twitch at the bars. I guess this is how the forks rake is supposed to be with the right wheel size in.
Also
What aboot tyre an down tube interference at full bottom out?

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 1:09 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
worth considering the effect on rake,
I was running 26 in a 650 fork. Recently went to mini mullet an put a 650 in the 650 fork. The one (and only so far) thing I immediatly noticed was slightly less twitch at the bars. I guess this is how the forks rake is supposed to be with the right wheel size in.
Also
What aboot tyre an down tube interference at full bottom out?

I had to remove my fender to fit it. i checked clearance with the coil spring removed. crown doesn't go any lower than the arch

By rake, what are you referring to? the head angle of the bike, or actual rake being fork offset ?

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 5:35 Quote
Civicowner wrote:
I actually tried this. Here is my 2019 Z1 27.5 with a Kenda Hellkat AEC 2.4 (measures at 61mm) on a 33mm internal 29 rim.
photo
photo
As you can see there is very very little clearance. when riding along (i went for a short mullet test ride) you hear rocks and sticks getting caught against the arch. Not reccomendable.
photo
photo
(aand no rotor as well)

There is definitely a difference in the lowers. Not sure about uppers. In my mind it would make sense having the same uppers for both but the offset could be different

Well I just want to see what a 29er is like, I won't be doing huge drops on it bottoming the crown on the tyre.. but seeing as the crown dips a bit on the Marz and it still fits and the ZEB has a thinner crown crown than the 38 I reckon it might be worth a shot. Thanks for sharing. How did you like the setup is there a huge difference in rollover only changing the front or is it not worth the hassle?

I guess if it ends up been better, I could get a carbon 29 rim for the front and some 29" ZEB lower legs and just do a rebuild on the front wheel...

I see you are going the Shigura route too, good lad!!

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Civicowner wrote:
photo
photo
photo
photo
(aand no rotor as well)

Well I just want to see what a 29er is like, I won't be doing huge drops on it bottoming the crown on the tyre.. but seeing as the crown dips a bit on the Marz and it still fits and the ZEB has a thinner crown crown than the 38 I reckon it might be worth a shot. Thanks for sharing. How did you like the setup is there a huge difference in rollover only changing the front or is it not worth the hassle?

I guess if it ends up been better, I could get a carbon 29 rim for the front and some 29" ZEB lower legs and just do a rebuild on the front wheel...

I see you are going the Shigura route too, good lad!!

With a 27.5 wheel i can fit my hand up to the knuckles in between tire and arch. pretty significant clearance. i actually have a 29er Z2 which, with the same wheel+tire, had a similarly large amount of clearance.
The actual arch doesn't really dip down, look at the lowest point. the front is only cast to look like it does. If you like i can measure front tire clearance with 27.5x2.5 Assegai (measures 61mm), or just axle to arch measurement?

To be honest i didnt really ride it much offroad, between the sounds of stuff getting jammed in bwteen fork/wheel and then having no front brake i didnt really wanna ride it too much tbh. i did ride some local small berms and jumps. steering felt noticeably floppier. Cornering felt really good, dunno if its the tire or the mullet but the front was super stuck down and the rear could be pushed hard.

Shigura is Very nice Big Grin

Oh- it is probably worth noting that the 29er lowers will add ~20mm to the fork length for the same travel, on top of the extra height of the front wheel

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 7:25 Quote
Anyone tried this in a Lyrik or ZEB yet?

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 10:02 Quote
Or a Fox 36 27.5 and 29 wheel?

Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 17:35 Quote
sacalobra wrote:
Or a Fox 36 27.5 and 29 wheel?
marzocchi has the same fox chassis

Posted: Feb 19, 2022 at 12:25 Quote
Tried to fit a 29” wheel in my Zeb with fender and it didn’t work. I need to try with the fender off, but it didn’t look promising.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2022 at 23:22 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Anyone tried this in a Lyrik or ZEB yet?
A 29x2.6 will not even turn when mounted to a 2019 27.5 Lyrik

Posted: Feb 20, 2022 at 0:06 Quote
catalanfc wrote:
Tried to fit a 29” wheel in my Zeb with fender and it didn’t work. I need to try with the fender off, but it didn’t look promising.

With what youve said I wouldn't even tempt it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021517
Mobile Version of Website