New 2021 SID Select+ damper failure

PB Forum :: SRAM
New 2021 SID Select+ damper failure
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
Got the new SID Select+ on my new Epic Evo Expert, 12 rides/150 miles in and the damper failed. In the top half of the stroke there is zero damping compression or rebound, and the fork makes a LOT of clanking noise. If you go deeper into the stroke it does show SOME damping behavior. If you lock the fork out it doesn't make any difference until you compress the fork to about half stroke and then it finally feels like it hits the lockout and the travel stops. Haven't noticed any fluid leaks. It's almost like something in the damper broke or came loose to where the damper has ZERO effect until you get halfway through the travel.

I know there was some bushing play problems with the SID PinkBike had on their Epic Evo for the Field Test, and I saw bushing play reported elsewhere but can't remember where exactly, but this is not that and a totally different issue.

Anybody else having issues with their new 35mm SID or other fork with the Charger damper? I found one thread on MTBR/Weight Weenies of a very similar sounding issue with a Charger 2 damper in a SID World Cup: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158239 I have never loved RockShox forks but I was getting along pretty well with this one until it broke, pretty disappointing.

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 8:54 Quote
It’s a few months later but my delivered in January, first ridden late feb, 8 rides in fork just did exactly the same thing. Full lockout on rides 1 to 6, a bit noisy on ride 7& gets very variable lockout from 10% to 60% travel on ride 8. Plus the loud/ harsh thunk at full extension. I remember on ride 1-3 thinking it felt super nice& super plush so something has changed.
Set up 5 psi over the recommendations with a 60kg rider & only having used 80-85% travel so far mostly. About 10-12 hours use total from new.

Any solutions/ similar problems?

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 17:24 Quote
I have a 21 Spur with a sid select+. After reaching the 400 mile mark, my fork feels exactly as you've described. I tried the 50mile service and now it feels worse. The rebound adjust basically does nothing, there is no dampening, and it tops out like a mofo. I'm going to contact a local shop about warranty.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
DevoMTB wrote:
Got the new SID Select+ on my new Epic Evo Expert, 12 rides/150 miles in and the damper failed. In the top half of the stroke there is zero damping compression or rebound, and the fork makes a LOT of clanking noise. If you go deeper into the stroke it does show SOME damping behavior. If you lock the fork out it doesn't make any difference until you compress the fork to about half stroke and then it finally feels like it hits the lockout and the travel stops. Haven't noticed any fluid leaks. It's almost like something in the damper broke or came loose to where the damper has ZERO effect until you get halfway through the travel.

I know there was some bushing play problems with the SID PinkBike had on their Epic Evo for the Field Test, and I saw bushing play reported elsewhere but can't remember where exactly, but this is not that and a totally different issue.

Anybody else having issues with their new 35mm SID or other fork with the Charger damper? I found one thread on MTBR/Weight Weenies of a very similar sounding issue with a Charger 2 damper in a SID World Cup: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158239 I have never loved RockShox forks but I was getting along pretty well with this one until it broke, pretty disappointing.

were you able to solve this? what was it?

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2021 at 20:28 Quote
I was wondering if anyone had info on what the remedy was?

I just bought a use 2021 top fuel with a sid select+. And after a few rides it started to lose small bump damping and I noticed the lock allowed an inch or so of travel now

I was hoping just doing the 200 hr service would sort it

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 20:06 Quote
DevoMTB wrote:

I have a 2021 SID Ultimate, 120mm Travel. Bought it in spring this year. At first the lockout worked great. It was firm and only compressed about 5% under extreme pressure. I'm told the 2021 models don't lockout 100% anymore. Then after about 250 miles the lockout stopped working as it had in the beginning. It would compress at least 40 percent when climbing. I took it to my shop and they said I'd have to send in to Rock Shox for evauluation and repair. That process took four weeks. I bought a SID Ultimate SL 100mm while the other was being serviced because I was racing and needed my bike. Its not as stiff, the lockout seemed to compress 10%.
Just got my SID Ultimate back and installed on my bike. They said the lower bushings in the fork lower were damaged and had to be replaced. They're integrated into the fork so the entire lower had to be replaced. Went to test ride it and it compresses 60% even when locked out Im very disappointed and looks like I am going to have to send it back again.

FL
Posted: Nov 7, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
Mine also did the same after ~6 months of very intermittent riding - clunking etc. Replaced damper under warranty..seems ok now

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 13:25 Quote
Mine is doing exactly the same after 5 months of ownership. At first I noticed the lock out not working but it is obvious that there is very little damping in the first part of the travel. It feels like a pogo stick.

The bike shop sent it to SRAM’s distributor in the UK for a warranty check but they say they couldn’t find anything wrong. They suggested adding more air pressure and maybe a token or two to not blow through the travel so fast. But bottoming out isn’t the issue and I know the sag is set right. .

Not sure what to do.

Posted: Dec 26, 2021 at 15:03 Quote
Same thing happening to mine... RockShox SID Select+ 120mm came on my Trek Top Fuel. I also felt like my shock has some very slight bushing looseness. You'd think after all these years RockShox would be better than this. Bring it back to the shop where I bought the bike Tuesday. I hope they send it back and get it fixed.

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 11:04 Quote
The shop sent mine in to Rochshox, they fixed it - took 3+ weeks. 4 rides in after fix and it's starting to not lockout as well again. WTF Rockshox? Good thing my Scott Genius hasn't sold. Sending this back for a second time again real soon. Wonder if this forked is doomed to fail over and over? Has anyone had their's fixed and had it work properly forever afterwards?

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 17:50 Quote
My select won’t lock out either. One year old, not much use. Does anyone have a fix? I’m not impressed with any sram product of any kind.

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
I had a 200 hr service done in April and I now have over 50 hrs and no issues.

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 9:35 Quote
I had solid lockout for 10 or so rides. Now, nothing. I don't use it very often, so I don't know that it needs fixing, but is this a sign of future failures?

Posted: Oct 18, 2022 at 5:29 Quote
Yep. My 2021 Epic Evo came with a SID Select. It made a popping noise when compressed, right out of the box. I rode it anyway.. still works fairly well, the popping noise stopped, and now the shock will not lock out. I've poked around and seen similar stories around the web. Great bike, but I never thought the SID would be the weak link.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011248
Mobile Version of Website