Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 17:49 Quote
Hey team!

I am looking to get a bike that I can ride all my local XC events on but not a pure bred XC bike. I am still a gravity boy at heart so I don’t think I could ever buy a full on XC rig. Everything I am reading about the spur is sounding like it’s going to be perfect

Just wondering if anyone has gone a little more XC with their spur and how did it go?

Still have my hands in my pockets kicking tyres at this point.

Cheers!
Matt

Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 12:56 Quote
purplelizard5 wrote:
I have a small xo transition spur but need a medium frame. Anyone out there need a small, or want to swap frames? Love the bike
Messaged you - let me know if you're still interested in offloading the small.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2023 at 6:53 Quote
Has anyone purchased the new Fox/GX build yet? Wondering how the Fox suspension feels compared to the Sid... I am guessing a little plusher/less stiff at the cost of some weight?

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 10:08 Quote
Just got my new GX (fox) Spur. Been eyeing one for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Unfortunately it's super snowy where I live so I likely won't get to take her out for quite a while. My current bike is a Giant Trance X 29 so looking forward to seeing how it rides in comparison.

photo

Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 10:54 Quote
sethlowe wrote:
Has anyone purchased the new Fox/GX build yet? Wondering how the Fox suspension feels compared to the Sid... I am guessing a little plusher/less stiff at the cost of some weight?
I'd get the Fox build to avoid having a SID fork stuck in warranty service for 3 months because of bushing play. The best fork is the one that actually lasts more than 20 rides. Ask me how I know.

Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 12:02 Quote
repsher wrote:
Just got my new GX (fox) Spur. Been eyeing one for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Unfortunately it's super snowy where I live so I likely won't get to take her out for quite a while. My current bike is a Giant Trance X 29 so looking forward to seeing how it rides in comparison.

I see they now have the RaceFAce wheelsets at 30mm internal rim width. Those are ~ 2000g so a bit up there for a cross country bike/down country bike but they can take a kicking very well. The Fox GX build is also 28.6 lbs vs 26.9 lbs with the RS GX build. That's not a bad thing depending on what you want. Likely more stable on the descents and rough stuff.

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 19:33 Quote
New Spur owner here.... Im 210 and 5'11 and coming off a sentinel. This is my first short travel bike which I picked up because the sentinel was just too much bike for big 20 mile days and wanted to try something lighter to see how it goes. Not trying to have this be a substitute for the long travel enduro because I have another enduro bike but just trying to make the bike feel better at speed as the bike seems to want to go faster than the suspension can handle.

Anyone with a similar size/weight who is used to longer travel bikes willing to share their set up tips and tricks to get it riding right? I have the GX build, only change so far is a slightly shorter stem. Looking for tips on how to get the most out of the front suspension and what tubeless tire pressure people are running on these short travel bikes. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 20:33 Quote
IsaacO wrote:
New Spur owner here.... Im 210 and 5'11 and coming off a sentinel. This is my first short travel bike which I picked up because the sentinel was just too much bike for big 20 mile days and wanted to try something lighter to see how it goes. Not trying to have this be a substitute for the long travel enduro because I have another enduro bike but just trying to make the bike feel better at speed as the bike seems to want to go faster than the suspension can handle.

Anyone with a similar size/weight who is used to longer travel bikes willing to share their set up tips and tricks to get it riding right? I have the GX build, only change so far is a slightly shorter stem. Looking for tips on how to get the most out of the front suspension and what tubeless tire pressure people are running on these short travel bikes. Thanks in advance!

You probably need more compression damping. I'm only 170 lbs and I run a CC DB Air IL with 2-3 spacers in the back. It's much more damped and controlled than the little SIDLuxe or Fox DPS. Then I'd go Fox 34 Grip2 up front at 120mm, to keep the weight down but still have adjustable compression damping. It should be stiff enough for you at 120mm because there's a lot of bushing overlap. Maybe start with 23/25 psi on EXO or EXO+ casings.to keep the rotating weight down. That should preserve the light, energetic ride quality.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 9:24 Quote
To anyone's knowledge, will Transition be releasing an updated version of the Spur in the next few years? I'm torn between the SB115, SB120, Ripley V4S, Exie and the Spur. One drawback I have with the spur and this is personal, is that the rear brake hose is externally routed. I've owned an SB6 and 4.5c in the past, with the 4.5c being the best trail bike I've ever ridden, so I'd like another bike similar or even better. A bike that can climb efficiently and go down trails with confidence. Most of my riding will be 3-4hrs on Green and Blue trails.

The Spur is a great looking bike and IMO, it's design is right there with Yeti but I appreciate that Yeti routes all hoses internally so very little is exposed.

If I decide on the Spur, it will be a custom build with X01 AXS with carbon wheels. Any feedback would be appreciated.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 9:51 Quote
SSpecialK wrote:
To anyone's knowledge, will Transition be releasing an updated version of the Spur in the next few years? I'm torn between the SB115, SB120, Ripley V4S, Exie and the Spur. One drawback I have with the spur and this is personal, is that the rear brake hose is externally routed. I've owned an SB6 and 4.5c in the past, with the 4.5c being the best trail bike I've ever ridden, so I'd like another bike similar or even better. A bike that can climb efficiently and go down trails with confidence. Most of my riding will be 3-4hrs on Green and Blue trails.

The Spur is a great looking bike and IMO, it's design is right there with Yeti but I appreciate that Yeti routes all hoses internally so very little is exposed.

If I decide on the Spur, it will be a custom build with X01 AXS with carbon wheels. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Seems like you've got a few bike categories in there.. I'd throw out the SB115 (why not just get the new 120), and throw out the Exie (much more XC oriented). So that leaves with the SB120, Ripley, and Spur. I'd guess the SB120 and Spur feel very similar (never rode the 120 but have a Spur). The Spur is super efficient at climbing and descends way above its category.

So my vote is either the Spur or 120 and I bet you will have a great time on either. Also I highly doubt they will be releasing a new Spur as they just released new colors/builds for this year.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 10:26 Quote
I'm considering the Exie as well because I enjoy long climbs and from what I've read, the Exie does this very well. I spend a fair bit of time on the road to connect to trailheads around here, which is why I'm looking for a bike that is efficient. Reason why I'm even looking at the 120 is because of the threaded BB, updated hardware and geo. The SB115 is nice but the PF BB and 'older' geometry is why it's low on the list.

If the Spur had internal routing for the rear brake hose, I think it would be the perfect bike for me.

I'm considering the 120 T1 build but for the price, it's disappointing that it's fitted with a GX chain, shifter and cassette and it's not as efficient as the Spur. At this time, I'm riding gravel but with my back injury, I really need to be in a more upright position without being pain.

hukriede wrote:
SSpecialK wrote:

Seems like you've got a few bike categories in there.. I'd throw out the SB115 (why not just get the new 120), and throw out the Exie (much more XC oriented). So that leaves with the SB120, Ripley, and Spur. I'd guess the SB120 and Spur feel very similar (never rode the 120 but have a Spur). The Spur is super efficient at climbing and descends way above its category.

So my vote is either the Spur or 120 and I bet you will have a great time on either. Also I highly doubt they will be releasing a new Spur as they just released new colors/builds for this year.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 7:51 Quote
SSpecialK wrote:
I'm considering the Exie as well because I enjoy long climbs and from what I've read, the Exie does this very well. I spend a fair bit of time on the road to connect to trailheads around here, which is why I'm looking for a bike that is efficient. Reason why I'm even looking at the 120 is because of the threaded BB, updated hardware and geo. The SB115 is nice but the PF BB and 'older' geometry is why it's low on the list.

If the Spur had internal routing for the rear brake hose, I think it would be the perfect bike for me.

I'm considering the 120 T1 build but for the price, it's disappointing that it's fitted with a GX chain, shifter and cassette and it's not as efficient as the Spur. At this time, I'm riding gravel but with my back injury, I really need to be in a more upright position without being pain.

hukriede wrote:
SSpecialK wrote:

For what it's worth, the "If the Spur had internal routing for the rear brake hose, I think it would be the perfect bike for me." statement to me says you should probably just get the Spur. The rear external brake hose routing is an extremely small design detail that does not affect how the bike functions in any way. Pro: Can swap brakes without bleeding, Cons: Looks not as clean. As vain as we all are (myself included) I would absolutely not skip a bike because of that alone...

For the Spur vs other comparison. The SB120 is going to be a significantly "bigger" bike than the others, mostly due it weighing a lot more. The Ripley is pretty comparable, in terms of weight and geo. The Exie is much more of an XC Race bike in terms of geo (steeper HTA and shorter), so your call if that's what you're after. Personally, I would throw out the SB120 due to weight, the Exie because if I'm wanting a Spur I don't want an XC bike (if you do, I highly recommend avoiding the Spur). That leaves the Spur and Ripley, which I was also deciding between, then I'd go with the best value and brand and Transition wins the value proposition easily.

I'd also check out the Allied BC40, very similar to the Spur.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 10:57 Quote
SSpecialK wrote:
I'm considering the Exie as well because I enjoy long climbs and from what I've read, the Exie does this very well. I spend a fair bit of time on the road to connect to trailheads around here, which is why I'm looking for a bike that is efficient.

Just from reading your post and looking at your profile/Buysell, I would definitely recommend you take a hard look at the Exie (either the USA-made model or the new, more affordable version). Yes, it's more of an XC bike than the Spur, Ripley, SB120, etc., but that might be a good thing if you're putting in substantial riding volume and/or doing some door-to-trail mixed terrain rides. The Exie is a perfect bike for that kind of ride, and although it is emphatically a World Cup-level XC bike, it's waaaay more tame than the purebred XC bikes of 3-4 years ago.

If you're more accustomed to road/gravel bike fit, the longer top tube of the Exie relative to the more "downcountry" bikes (really, they're just lightweight trail bikes) you mention will be a blessing. Definitely a more stretched-out pedaling position compared to more trail-oriented MTBs, but like you said, still more upright than a drop bar bike. You can work out a comfortable fit on the Exie without losing too much in terms of power production.

The Spur is a rad bike, don't get me wrong, but in my experience owning one and riding with other people who have them, it works better as a lightened-up trail bike than a slightly-more-aggressive XC bike. For myself and the folks I know, who really just wanted a slightly-more-aggressive XC bike, have ended up selling their Spurs and getting an Epic Evo, Blur, or Exie and setting them up with long-stroke droppers, functional tires and riser bars. It's reaaally worthwhile to have a bike that holds two bottles if you're going out on half-day rides frequently, and (unpopular opinion) a remote lockout is great if you ride the road going to and from trail rides.

The BC40 recommendation above also makes a ton of sense... again, if funds allow.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 18:51 Quote
Got a new spring project here…. Sold off my epic evo / stumpy evo combo for this and an enduro frame.

I Wanted to get the black powder, but beggars can’t be choosers. I think this should look nice with an orange 34.

Question for those with some miles on these… I’m going to be at the upper end of a medium in terms of weight/height, and it’s my general duty bike for when I’m not riding the enduro.. this has me wondering if I should put something different for a rear shock on it. Anyone have experience with an Ohlins TTX1 on these?

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.046660
Mobile Version of Website