Best Fatbike under 2k for snow only

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Best Fatbike under 2k for snow only
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
Hey everyone I'm up here in Marquette, MI and the winter biking scene is pretty big around here. I'm looking to get into myself but i have no idea where to start. For snow only is 26x4.8 better or is 27.5x4 the way to go? What brands have similar geo to normal mountain bikes?

I've been looking at the Rocky Mountain Blizzard series as well as the Giant Yukon.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to get for under $2000?

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 7:28 Quote
Just got a Yukon 2, love it! Only thing missing was a dropper post and studded tires, bought the dropper and installed going to try it later, waiting for the studded tires! Bought the yukon because of the 27.5'' tires. Hope this helps.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 9:12 Quote
Fezzari Kings peak

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
I have a 2018 Blizzard with 26x4.8 tires and a buddy has a 2018 Farley 5 with 27.5x4.5 tires. They are pretty much on par for float in softer now, with a bit of an advantage to the Blizzard. If you are planning to ride mostly groomed fat bike trails, then the skinnier tires would be better. If you are planning to ride mostly snowshoe or softer trails, I would not suggest going all the way down to a 4 in wide tire. It will sink much more than the 4.8/4.5 tire.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 11:40 Quote
Been riding the Yukon 2 and it is really nice out of the box. As Alex notes it could use a dropper but when you're riding in heavy snow, you're not really doing anything super technical (at least I;m not). Highly recommend this bike.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 5:03 Quote
nymtber wrote:
Been riding the Yukon 2 and it is really nice out of the box. As Alex notes it could use a dropper but when you're riding in heavy snow, you're not really doing anything super technical (at least I;m not). Highly recommend this bike.

Tried the dropper yesterday on a ride and as someone else said in another post, makes it way easier to get back on the bike when you sink in the snow off trail, plus if youve gotten used to riding a dropper on your trail/enduro bike its nice to have, not a deal breaker but a great upgrade! good ridding!

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 19:27 Quote
Highly recommend the RSD Mayor, had mine for 4 seasons, great out of box build with only a dropper to add.

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
Framed Bikes is right in your neck of the woods. I have their Alaskan carbon, and it's top notch for what I need.

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 15:28 Quote
fatback may still have some discontinued colors. i'm not seeing any on the site, but if you gave 'em a call they may still have some. I picked up a rhino FLT w/ the gx build kit rigid and it came in at just over 2 grand ($2030). for current colors I think they want $2600. I ride this thing year round and it can handle it all.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 2:47 Quote
Picking up a used will get you into a really nice build for that budget. Also locally (Minneapolis) seeing some last year models on good sales for Farley lineup. Personally I prefer a 27.5 but I also ride mine on single track dry occasionally. It rolls over anything and is much more forgiving on the edges of your snow groomed trails. It’s less likely to drag you off the trail than the smaller tires should you get off the hard pack and onto the soft.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 5:17 Quote
26 X 4.8 is fine for the vast majority of your UP fat bike riding experiences. Buy plus wheels later on if you feel the urge to use it for general trail riding.

I own DB El Oso which has all of the boxes checked and is inexpensive. I also have built up two RSD Mayors which are relatively inexpensive.

A friend and his wife have Motobecane Sturgis' which are a good entry level value

As others have stated there are a lot of used bikes out there and since fat bikes are kind of pass'e these days, there are tons of new, discounted bikes available on the market.

If you ever find your way over at the Porkies let me know and you can take what I have for a spin.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
the Salsa Mukluk is a very comfortable bike off the rack, and not too heavy either. I almost like it more than my Norco Sasquatch, but they are almost identical spec and geo wise

Posted: May 10, 2020 at 10:22 Quote
Anyone ever ride norco bigfoot, looking into the bigfoot3. Not going to invest too much as I recently bought a new all mtn bike.

Found a norco bigfoot 3 for 950 cad. Bran new, wondering if it's a good buy.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
I bought a Norco 3 Bigfoot, I upgraded the brakes to hydraulics as I saved money on the RRP of the bike.

I love it, I have ridden tarmac, gravelly and rooty trails, muddy bogs and a bit of sand.

It climbs brilliantly, picks up speed ridiculously downhill and a huge talking point in Scotland (fat bikes are few and far between).

I havent changed to a dropper yet (just a Hope QR) as I havent felt the need to.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
Elemieux wrote:
Anyone ever ride norco bigfoot, looking into the bigfoot3. Not going to invest too much as I recently bought a new all mtn bike.

Found a norco bigfoot 3 for 950 cad. Bran new, wondering if it's a good buy.

I have a 2018 Bigfoot 1. It's an excellent bike! The geometry makes it feel much more like a trail bike than a xc bike. The frame can accept up to a 5" tire, which is nice to have. I'm currently running 4" tires and it feels a lot faster in the dirt.

The frame details are, honestly, superb for a big name brand. It has a lifetime warranty. There are so many braze ons for every mount you ever wanted. The paint they use is quality as well. I haven't added any frame protection and it still looks brand new after almost three years of riding. The welds are nicely smoothed out. It looks leagues ahead of my aluminum framed Norco Sight...which has some pretty ugly welds.

I don't think you will regret having another bike in your quiver. I use mine for everything: snow biking, singetrack in the summer, adventure rides on logging/forest roads, and even occasional commuting. It would be a great bikepacking companion if you're into that.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010772
Mobile Version of Website