Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 11:57 Quote
spankthewan wrote:
If you have a bike in transit with DHL at the moment, I recommend you call them once every 5 hours.

Why?

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 14:31 Quote
gavinmullan wrote:
spankthewan wrote:
If you have a bike in transit with DHL at the moment, I recommend you call them once every 5 hours.

Why?

1. The bike was initially held for no good reason at a hub in Cincinnati, and they released it when I called.
2. The bike was held a second time in customs, and they informed me there was no payment, and the shipper would be covering duty fees.
3. I was notified I needed to cover duty fees of $165, and I paid online immediately.
4. 8 hrs later I received a notification instructing me to pay duty fees, so I called, and they cleared the hold after seeing I had paid.
5. I contacted them again, after seeing no movement, and they released another BS hold.
6. I received the bike today!!!

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 14:36 Quote
spankthewan wrote:
gavinmullan wrote:
spankthewan wrote:

Why?

1. The bike was initially held for no good reason at a hub in Cincinnati, and they released it when I called.
2. The bike was held a second time in customs, and they informed me there was no payment, and the shipper would be covering duty fees.
3. I was notified I needed to cover duty fees of $165, and I paid online immediately.
4. 8 hrs later I received a notification instructing me to pay duty fees, so I called, and they cleared the hold after seeing I had paid.
5. I contacted them again, after seeing no movement, and they released another BS hold.
Man that process sucks big time, at least it ended well. Maybe DHL is different in the states, in Denmark they are really fast and nice, probably the best delivery service here.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
NordicRider wrote:
[Quote
Man that process sucks big time, at least it ended well. Maybe DHL is different in the states, in Denmark they are really fast and nice, probably the best delivery service here.

I'm still thrilled, because Privateer estimated the bike would be shipped on Oct wk3.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 15:40 Quote
NordicRider wrote:
spankthewan wrote:
gavinmullan wrote:

Why?

I just got my frame delivered yesterday. I didn't have to pay any extra fees, that I know of. I preordered back in May. I am annoyed there was no seatpost collar. However, that is on route to me as we speak.

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 15:44 Quote
spankthewan wrote:
gavinmullan wrote:
spankthewan wrote:

Why?

Is that $165 duty for a complete? If so I'll be stoked because I was expecting almost double...

Also I'm october week 4, but I don't think I'm going to be getting it early as the email I got said the frame is coming in next week.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
mxracer185 wrote:

Is that $165 duty for a complete? If so I'll be stoked because I was expecting almost double...

Yes, it's a complete.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 0:26 Quote
Dunno why I can't see the advanced options for posting with the mobile but here is my new Rig.

It is not build how I like it. Cranks, dropper and saddle will be changed if the retailer get new stuff.
photo

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 1:46 Quote
More general question in relation to the conversation around pivot bearings etc - what do people recommend doing on delivery of the frame... strip and grease? Any other steps people recommend?

Not strictly 161 - I've a 141 on order.... but there isn't a thread for that (yet!).

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 10:33 Quote
simonnewell wrote:
More general question in relation to the conversation around pivot bearings etc - what do people recommend doing on delivery of the frame... strip and grease? Any other steps people recommend?

Not strictly 161 - I've a 141 on order.... but there isn't a thread for that (yet!).

It's not an issue about greasing it, it's to do with it being designed correctly. If the 141 is like the 161, then the pivot bolts should move relative to the SS as the bike goes through the suspension travel on the SS to CS pivots with no friction to the SS. If the pivot bolt heads are contacting the SS then there is an issue, and no amount of grease is going to rectify that. Maybe Privateer have got this in check and there has been a rolling change implemented?

Look at the videos on page 59 of this thread by jkalis and look at the pivot bolt head moving (or not)

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 17:57 Quote
I just received my frame. It may be a dumb question but how do you remove the chainstays from the frame ? I don't want to force anything..

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 1:23 Quote
Forest-Gnome wrote:
I just received my frame. It may be a dumb question but how do you remove the chainstays from the frame ? I don't want to force anything..

The chainstay can be hard to remove and to put back as the main pivot (near the bottom bracket) is very very tight, at least on my bike. However you don't need to do that to check any stiction in the dropout pivots: simply disconnect the rocker and the seatstays (be careful not to loose the washers), this is a simple operation. By doing so you can check whether the seatstays are moving freely w.r.t. the chainstays or if there is any stiction. You can also check that the axles and axles caps are perfectly fixed w.r.t. the chainsays (they should behave as in the video below at time 28 s), but this can also be checked by compressing the suspensions without disconnecting it.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 2:30 Quote
Good stuff, will check this also with my new frame..

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 4:40 Quote
Thanks for your input. I checked my frame if it did the same thing as you and it didnt, luckily. I may have badly expressed my last question though; I wanted to know how to disconnect the lower main pivot from the frame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018874
Mobile Version of Website