New rim recommendations?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
New rim recommendations?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
Hey guys I'm riding a rocky mountain soul hard tail it came with Alex MD19 rims on it, i bent the rear too much to fix and need some new rims. looking to go for something stronger with about a 25mm inner rim width. I've been looking at DT swiss X 432's, Race face AR 25 offset. anyone have any other recommendations in a similar price range?

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
What kind of riding are you doing? The Alex MD19 and DT Swiss X432 are along the lines of budget XC rims and won't take much abuse at all.

The Race Face AR rims are in a totally different category and they won't be so easy to bend. But you have a ton of other great options in this price bracket.

Are you just replacing the rims? If replacing the rims and using your existing hubs you'll most likely need new spokes since I doubt the ERDs will be the same. You'll also need spoke nipples either way. If just replacing rims usually you can find nice ones on clearance sale if you look around enough.

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
Take a look at WTB, they make insanely strong rims but are on the heavier side. That said, I put 2 big dents into my WTB STI29 and a flat spot after casing a road gap twice it is still going strong after 1 year.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
What kind of riding are you doing? The Alex MD19 and DT Swiss X432 are along the lines of budget XC rims and won't take much abuse at all.

The Race Face AR rims are in a totally different category and they won't be so easy to bend. But you have a ton of other great options in this price bracket.

Are you just replacing the rims? If replacing the rims and using your existing hubs you'll most likely need new spokes since I doubt the ERDs will be the same. You'll also need spoke nipples either way. If just replacing rims usually you can find nice ones on clearance sale if you look around enough.

Mostly xc riding lots of technical stuff and rocks, some jumps and drops. I ride clipped in and like to ride pretty aggressively. The Alex MD19 are just what came on the bike and is what bent so defiantly looking for something stronger. So would you not recommend DT Swiss of this range?

Yeah I'm just replacing the rims and building it up on my current Shimano hubs they're still in good shape trying to save some money (still a uni student), my bike shop is helping me out withthe process so I'll be able to get spokes and nipples.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
Bikesaregooder wrote:
Halo vortex ????????

Didn't think about Halo thought they'd be more expensive, Thanks though they look like they could be a good option.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 11:58 Quote
ZoneCheck wrote:
Take a look at WTB, they make insanely strong rims but are on the heavier side. That said, I put 2 big dents into my WTB STI29 and a flat spot after casing a road gap twice it is still going strong after 1 year.

Been looking at the ASYM and KOM from WTB leaning more towards ASYM because of price, though the KOM's aren't too much more expensive. Worth it to save a bit and go ASYM or should I spend a little more go for the KOM? they both seem like they'd get the job done

Posted: May 13, 2020 at 17:23 Quote
Curious on what you wound up doing. Also have a Soul and tacoed my rim on a small hump, pretty bummed theyd put such a shitty rim on this, need to probably get a new rim as well or new wheel.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010286
Mobile Version of Website