What is your go to pant set up cold weather?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What is your go to pant set up cold weather?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 7:35 Quote
Hi guys I am trying to figure out my cold-weather clothing set up. Primarily just concerned with my pants situation.I’ll be doing a lot of riding in 25 to 45° temperatures Fahrenheit. Are most of you guys wearing your typical lycra or a padded under liners and then a long John type insulating layer with some form of tighter fitting windbreaker pants? I guess I’m asking what is your favorite pants for colder weather riding. What is your layering system as well and do you have your pants set up so you can remove a insulating layer during a ride? I plan on doing a bunch of 10 to 20 mile single track rides this winter and am kind of perplexed as to what pants clothing type/style/layer system will work well for casual all day singletrack rides. My mornings can be as cool as 20 degrees with late afternoons rising into the low 40’s. Thank you

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
I will clarify my response by saying I don't ride in temps below about 35. Just too cold for me to enjoy it. But, for cold weather, and I ride all year as long as the trails are open, I don't wear leggings until it drops below 40. For leggings, I usually go with UA cold westher gear over my bike shorts and then wear my normal shorts over that. My legs usually don't get cold, it is my feet and hands that will make me ready to go home. LOL. I invested in a goretex pair of Sidi shoes and wear thicker wool socks. They work well. For up top, wear a wicking under shirt, then a thin to med weight wicking long sleeve depending on temps, Windstopper windbreaker, and a cheap fleece vest. I use a pair of 180's ear muffs for my ears. That is the other thing I have to keep warm.

Layering like this allows me to warm up or cool down just by running the zippers up or down.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
I put on the tight windbreaker pants in the 40s with regular shorts over top and that has suited fine for the legs down to single digits. I layer up top to suit the temp and wind then it’s all about appropriate gloves and foot ware to keep the hands and feet alive. For the head, I use the partial face skull cap but last year for the snow and ultra cold I started wearing my poorly ventilated full face helmet with goggles which works brilliantly.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
I put on the tight windbreaker pants in the 40s with regular shorts over top and that has suited fine for the legs down to single digits. I layer up top to suit the temp and wind then it’s all about appropriate gloves and foot ware to keep the hands and feet alive. For the head, I use the partial face skull cap but last year for the snow and ultra cold I started wearing my poorly ventilated full face helmet with goggles which works brilliantly.

Can you elaborate on what “tight windbreaker pants with shorts over top”? Like a form fitting windbreaker? If I understand correctly this windbreaker pant you speak of is underneath your riding shorts ?Can you give me a product example? Thanks!!

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
Search Gore Windstopper. They make a full line of wibter gese, tights and pants. You can even refine by sport category. The coat I have is very thin but does a great job of keeping the wind off of you. And, it wraps up in itself with straps for easy storage in a pack.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
Depends on the day. I have some Sugoi firewall tights I wear when it is cold. My Lycra shorts on then firewall tights then a pair of riding shorts (Endura Humvee). If it is cold enough I will wear a pair of knee warmers under the tights too.

Down to -15 Deg C I will wear a pair of Specialized 686 shell pants with shorts and firewall tights.

There are some other options out there. Sadly the Specialized 686 stuff is no longer made but it is great stuff for winter fat biking.

Friends don't let friends ride with cold knees......

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:
Can you elaborate on what “tight windbreaker pants with shorts over top”? Like a form fitting windbreaker? If I understand correctly this windbreaker pant you speak of is underneath your riding shorts ?Can you give me a product example? Thanks!!
Well in the photo they don’t look tight but mine are form fitting. Then regular loose MTB shorts overtop.
https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Windproof-Cycling-Fleece-Thermal/dp/B019GUHV3S/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=baleaf+windproof+pant&qid=1573069877&sr=8-7

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
clothes slow me down

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
or jeans, for that matter, if it is really cold and I really want to ride, like the other day when we had like a foot of snow, I just through on some jeans, sweatshirt, my fullface and some goggles, I have to stay I was still pretty cold, but I was also riding down sledding hills

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
traqs wrote:
clothes slow me down
Sounds hot. Pics please.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:
traqs wrote:
clothes slow me down
Sounds hot. Pics please.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
From reading the above posts; think I’m gonna roll with my chamois under shorts, followed by some form of light to moderate thickness tight followed by my mtb riding shorts. That should cover me I think. Obviously trial and error will be best and I’ll just have to find what works for me on the trail. Thanks.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
Still in shorts at those temps (35F) honestly, unless it is a social ride with lots of stopping.

Wool against the skin. Wind blocking layer on top. If you need warmer, add light layers in between the wool and wind blocking stuff. Skiers will wear 4-5 layers at times. Yes, it can get very expensive.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 13:44 Quote
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:
From reading the above posts; think I’m gonna roll with my chamois under shorts, followed by some form of light to moderate thickness tight followed by my mtb riding shorts. That should cover me I think. Obviously trial and error will be best and I’ll just have to find what works for me on the trail. Thanks.

Yep, all about figuring out what works for you.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 14:41 Quote
https://www.ridenf.com

I have had great luck with the Berzerker pants for cold/wet riding.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009474
Mobile Version of Website