OneUp Dropper Sticking

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
OneUp Dropper Sticking
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 23:25 Quote
Anyone else having problems with their OneUp dropper sticking?

I have the 170mm on my SC Chameleon and whenever it get dirty (British mud!) it starts to stick through its travel and not fully extend.
It is only 3 months old and before anyone asks...No the seat clamp isn't too tight, it makes no difference if I loosen it off.

The only remedy is after every wet/dirty ride is to loosen the collar, take out the white nylon plastic collet, clean the collet and around that area and re-assemble using Slick Honey. Performs as normal after that.
I have air pressure @ 280psi (that dropped off to 240 after 2 weeks also?)

I emailed OneUp and they said "it will take some time to bed in because of tight tolerances"!

Anyone else suffering?

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 7:58 Quote
How long have you had it? Mine was finicky for a ride or two but has been problem free after that.

I also unscrew the seal and wipe a bit of fork oil onto the stanchion underneath the seal and cycle it every few rides. It seems to keep droppers working longer before needing a rebuild.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 14:30 Quote
Been in use around 3 months. It was fine for the first 4 weeks or so, then it got wet and muddy and things went downhill.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 1:48 Quote
Having the same problems with my one up dropper. Mine started well enough but just about every ride now ends up with a sticky dropper. I've followed one ups tutorial on lubing the nylon bush/collar and this does work , but only for at best one or two rides. If I remove the nylon collar the post works flawlessly, not sure if its a good idea to run the post without this collar in place though.
Anyway the problem is definitely that collar, just doesn't seem to be slippery enough.
I ride in predominantly dry dusty conditions, so mud isn't the issue.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
Oddly this has happened to 3 of my one up droppers. Try this -

-Work the collar bushing by greasing it and rotating it in an oval motion to loosen it up
-Air up to 290-300 PSI
-Reverse the seat clamp 180 so it clamps towards the front of the frame.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
I ended up with the same issue on my 170mm one up dropper and ended up getting it warrantied. Followed all of the suggestions from one up and the problem occurred off and on. Had mine swapped out for a new dropper and haven't had anymore issues.

Posted: May 6, 2019 at 16:19 Quote
You could have multiple problems here. I will list what you should try in order.
1. Try putting a lit lube onto the shaft of the dropper. I recommend using some of the TriFlow in the squeezable bottles. You can use normal chain lube but I'm not sure if some of the other dirt/water repelant chemicals will mess it up.
2. The air pressure is too low. If you remove the dropper from the seat stay it should say what pressure to put it at. I recommend using a digital shock pump as they are the most accurate
3. All that junk and mud has gotten into the chamber below the shaft of the dropper. If the above fail, try taking it to your local bike shop and see what they have to say.
4. If all else fails, try to get it warranted. If you can't, get it replaced

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 11:43 Quote
sdken wrote:
Oddly this has happened to 3 of my one up droppers. Try this -

-Work the collar bushing by greasing it and rotating it in an oval motion to loosen it up
-Air up to 290-300 PSI
-Reverse the seat clamp 180 so it clamps towards the front of the frame.

after doing those steps does it still stick ? Have often do you have to do this? Asking because I have the same issue with my 3 month old dropper

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
I'm having the same issue. Pretty much since Day 1 mine has struggled to achieve the last 1" of travel.

I have it at 275 psi and lubed the inside/outside of the bushing and shaft.

Has everyone been successful in getting it warrantied?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:05 Quote
Same here, sticks at the last inch of travel. Will try collar lube etc and report back. Seems like a common thing going on...

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 8:07 Quote
By the way, I have the same scenario on 2 of them. Seriously considering going back to fox which to this date (2 years) I have one working flawlessly.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
I noticed this issue when I first got my OneUp dropper. All I had to do was grease the bushing that's below the collar and bump the psi up to the max. Haven't had a problem since.

Here's a video on how to grease it. Make sure you are using a thin high quality grease like Slick Honey.

https://vimeo.com/289974004

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
I noticed this issue the very first time I rode with it. Debating if I should just remove it from my frame and return it to backcountry as defective.

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
I noticed this issue when I first got my OneUp dropper. All I had to do was grease the bushing that's below the collar and bump the psi up to the max. Haven't had a problem since.

Here's a video on how to grease it. Make sure you are using a thin high quality grease like Slick Honey.

https://vimeo.com/289974004

I did the same and i have to re-grease every 2 rides. I talked to some locals here in the hot weather of AZ and they have to do the same. Its pretty annoying because I can't just ride, its something I have to constantly monitor like tire pressure.....

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 20:57 Quote
I decided to forgo keeping my OneUp dropper, didn't feel its worth it to keep a dropper that you have to check or lube before nearly every ride. My preferences.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014215
Mobile Version of Website