Best mid travel trail or Enduro bike (follow up)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best mid travel trail or Enduro bike (follow up)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 at 9:26 Quote
I've noticed that I've maybe used 130mm of travel on my 160mm fork max, I bottom out my 165mm of rear travel all of the time but that is because I need a larger spring. I feel as though with the right spring rate and fork travel 120/140mm of travel will be fine for what I ride. I do occasionally ride the steep, technical chunky stuff with decent sized drops though and I don't mind a fun park day. Does anyone have experience riding an evil following on gnarly terrain?

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
I don’t have a following, but I have taken my transition smuggler to to a bike park. I loved it...just had to pick my lines.

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 12:17 Quote
I did one park day on my '19 Smuggler too and it was super fun. I don't do jump lines or like huge gaps or anything so I don't need a DH bike. The steep and technical lines were a ton of fun. If you're doing big jumps with huge hits, then your bike will probably still be able to do them but if you botch a landing it'll be a lot more of an impact compared to a longer travel bike. If you have lightweight wheels, that may be an issue too. Honestly I find a lot of the bike park riding pretty tame compared to "regular" trail networks.

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 23:28 Quote
I wouldn’t ride a 130/120 bike in a park but I suppose it is possible if you are extra careful. It just seems like there are way better bikes for the job if park riding is on the list.

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
Austink wrote:
I wouldn’t ride a 130/120 bike in a park but I suppose it is possible if you are extra careful. It just seems like there are way better bikes for the job if park riding is on the list.

Like I said I ride park once or twice a year. But I also ride gnarlier stuff as well. Semi chunky trails take up about 90% of my riding.

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 13:03 Quote
If people ride hardtails at Whistler, i don't see a reason why an aggressive short travel bike couldn't handle it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dRk9ZgKh-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqSW82jAV5s

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

Like I said I ride park once or twice a year. But I also ride gnarlier stuff as well. Semi chunky trails take up about 90% of my riding.

I think only you could answer if a 120 bike would suffice for your everyday riding. I would recommend getting the bike for the riding you do the majority of time without sacrifice.

I have ridden my 120 bike on stuff I usually ride my 170 bike on. It is possible, but I was way slower and it wasn’t as fun.

I see your favorite place to ride is skypark. Have you ridden snow summit? If so what trail there would be closest to the chunky stuff you ride most often. If not summit, mammoth or northstar? I am just trying to get a feel for what you actually need out of the bike.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 15:38 Quote
Austink wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

I think only you could answer if a 120 bike would suffice for your everyday riding. I would recommend getting the bike for the riding you do the majority of time without sacrifice.

I have ridden my 120 bike on stuff I usually ride my 170 bike on. It is possible, but I was way slower and it wasn’t as fun.

I see your favorite place to ride is skypark. Have you ridden snow summit? If so what trail there would be closest to the chunky stuff you ride most often. If not summit, mammoth or northstar? I am just trying to get a feel for what you actually need out of the bike.

I ride skypark 1-2 times a year, snow summit 1-2 times a year. Mainly tride the following trails
(Crystal cove state park/laguna beach)
Lizards
Stagecoach
Old emerald falls
Emerald falls
TnA
Rattlesnake
(Santiago oaks)
Chutes
Cactus
(Other places)
Luge
San Juan trail
Gooseberry mess (very occasionally, once a year maybe)

Now I'm really just worried the short travel bikes will hinder me. I know short travel bikes are getting extremely capable but I still feel like I'll be either always bottoming out or chattering my way down the trail. I'm heavier at around 220 pnds.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
I've ridden a ton of bikes and haven't had an issue with 150-170 bikes besides my evil Insurgent. I currently have an intense tracer as you may have seen. It's an insanely awesome an confident bike but it certainly isn't a great climber. Its also beginning to feel a bit small on me. I'm 6" with long arms and a bit above average sized legs. I think something with 470-500mm reach will be fine but I will have to slam the seat forward. I was thinking of the Kona process 153 cr/dl as well as the Scott Genius 29er. My budget is whatever I can sell this bike for and I only want to build it from the frame up. I've also thought about the new jeffsy CF comp.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 17:18 Quote
Depends on the park, the lines, and your riding style. You can do anything if you set your mind to it!

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 17:25 Quote
Mntneer wrote:
Depends on the park, the lines, and your riding style. You can do anything if you set your mind to it!

Rampage? No, probably not. But most things yes!

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
For the orange county single track stuff I do think a 120 bike would work. Especially one that is billed as being so capable. But something with a little more travel could make it even more fun and hang at the park better. Something like a high tower at 140/135 and with 29er wheels would be my choice.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 15:23 Quote
Austink wrote:
For the orange county single track stuff I do think a 120 bike would work. Especially one that is billed as being so capable. But something with a little more travel could make it even more fun and hang at the park better. Something like a high tower at 140/135 and with 29er wheels would be my choice.

Maybe if they redesigned it. 74° seattube angle and short reach isn't my thing. I've been thinking about the calling as I found 2 a available in a large, although I'd prefer an XL. I've got time to keep looking.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 17:15 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Mntneer wrote:

Rampage? No, probably not. But most things yes!

I could see you running into some trouble on some super chunk and rock gardens. If you're strong enough to control the bike and muscle through those type of sections, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it. But then again, I find myself WORKING to get through some rough sections on my wreckoning.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 22:05 Quote
I've been thinking alot about buying a new tracer in XL, after riding luge today at night, in dumping rain it made me change my mind about this bike. Its so capable so I don't see a huge reason to change bikes besides sizing issues although I want to try other bikes.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011294
Mobile Version of Website