Suspension fade

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension fade
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 7:17 Quote
Ive noticed that my rear shock (fox dps evol) hardens up quite significantly after long descends on my bike and its relatively warm to touch. out of curiousity how do i manage the heat and prevent the shock from hardening during enduro stages without buying a piggy back shock? thanks you in advance

Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 13:10 Quote
You can try switching to a higher quality suspension fluid. I'm not sure what brands are compatible with Fox products. Redline makes excellent suspension fluids that I use in my DVO products. Maxima may be an option and I've heard Whistler Performance Lubricants are top notch as well.

Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 13:25 Quote
plstakenote wrote:
Ive noticed that my rear shock (fox dps evol) hardens up quite significantly after long descends on my bike and its relatively warm to touch. out of curiousity how do i manage the heat and prevent the shock from hardening during enduro stages without buying a piggy back shock? thanks you in advance

I thought of suggesting a heat sink but they only seem to be available for the piggyback versions.
New Suspension Goodies from DVO ND Tuned and MRC Trading Eurobike 2017
photo

Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 14:53 Quote
^ That heat sink looks pretty cool

To OP: The only inline shock that probably wouldn't fade is the Cane Creek Inline Coil - although personally I haven't tried one but want to for this reason.

I had the DVO Topaz and it still gets warm like my DPS after ~15 mins of descent (although I don't think it hardens up).

Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 19:42 Quote
hmm i actually dont mind it heating up just that the shock feels harsher in after a while of descending. and my bike definitely isnt compatible with a piggy back and is a trunnion mounted shock.
sdken wrote:
^ That heat sink looks pretty cool

To OP: The only inline shock that probably wouldn't fade is the Cane Creek Inline Coil - although personally I haven't tried one but want to for this reason.

I had the DVO Topaz and it still gets warm like my DPS after ~15 mins of descent (although I don't think it hardens up).

Posted: Dec 28, 2018 at 8:56 Quote
plstakenote wrote:

with the normal dps all the oil and damping components are in the shock body ( the shiny part thats says " genuine kashima..." )and because of this you can't use an external heat sink best would be to get A piggy back shock

Regarding oils , your shock and most of fox's shocks use Fox 10wt Red ( rebranded silkolene) its awesome and I wouldn't stray from it , newer x2's and dhx2's use teflon infused 10wt green but they have larger channels so i wouldn't wana get that in an inline shck

Regarding piggy backs , the reason for piggy backs is to move some/all of the damping components to the outside of the shock and circulate the oil away from the main piston/shock to help with heat management , putting A heat sink on a piggyback is quite extreme but if you're doing long runs all day long it makes sense

So as your shock heats up the oil heats up and starts lsoing its properties , if you get the point where the oil boils the damping is gone be donkey balls so I'd recommend you start looking for a piggyback shock as it seems you ride hard and there's no way to get around the issue if its already bothering you.

Look at A float X from the DPS range or A DPX2

I side with the DPX2

*** One last thing , air heats up quite quick but nitrogen doens't really and since the damper runs ibto the airchamber filling your shock with nitrogen could help A little ( unlikely) but it won't work if you run above 200PSI cause nitrogen seems to slack off concerning spring rampup and if you end up running more nitro pressure the whole excercise is pointless

goodluck

Posted: Dec 28, 2018 at 10:19 Quote
tqvm for your response it is very informative however there is one problem, my frame wouldn't accept a piggy back shock. its a 2018 scott genius..
BaGearA wrote:
plstakenote wrote:

with the normal dps all the oil and damping components are in the shock body ( the shiny part thats says " genuine kashima..." )and because of this you can't use an external heat sink best would be to get A piggy back shock

Regarding oils , your shock and most of fox's shocks use Fox 10wt Red ( rebranded silkolene) its awesome and I wouldn't stray from it , newer x2's and dhx2's use teflon infused 10wt green but they have larger channels so i wouldn't wana get that in an inline shck

Regarding piggy backs , the reason for piggy backs is to move some/all of the damping components to the outside of the shock and circulate the oil away from the main piston/shock to help with heat management , putting A heat sink on a piggyback is quite extreme but if you're doing long runs all day long it makes sense

So as your shock heats up the oil heats up and starts lsoing its properties , if you get the point where the oil boils the damping is gone be donkey balls so I'd recommend you start looking for a piggyback shock as it seems you ride hard and there's no way to get around the issue if its already bothering you.

I side with the DPX2

*** One last thing , air heats up quite quick but nitrogen doens't really and since the damper runs ibto the airchamber filling your shock with nitrogen could help A little ( unlikely) but it won't work if you run above 200PSI cause nitrogen seems to slack off concerning spring rampup and if you end up running more nitro pressure the whole excercise is pointless

goodluck

Posted: Dec 29, 2018 at 1:01 Quote
plstakenote wrote:
tqvm for your response it is very informative however there is one problem, my frame wouldn't accept a piggy back shock. its a 2018 scott genius..
BaGearA wrote:
plstakenote wrote:

I side with the DPX2

goodluck

try to find A trunion mount DPX2 with the correct length and stroke and fit it upside down with th epiggy back facing toward the front wheel , I'm pretty sure it will fit

the massive aircan of that fox nude dps takes up alot of space

* I always facepalm at scott putting remote locks on A enduro/freeride bike

Posted: Dec 29, 2018 at 7:51 Quote
its a good idea to try this however none of any bike shop in my country carry shocks of any type for sale so trying one before buying is definitely impossible. thank you very much for sharing, ive learned a lot from this thread. ill try this in the future should the opportunity arise
BaGearA wrote:
plstakenote wrote:
BaGearA wrote:

I side with the DPX2

goodluck

try to find A trunion mount DPX2 with the correct length and stroke and fit it upside down with th epiggy back facing toward the front wheel , I'm pretty sure it will fit

the massive aircan of that fox nude dps takes up alot of space

* I always facepalm at scott putting remote locks on A enduro/freeride bike

Posted: Dec 29, 2018 at 8:03 Quote
If your shock feels stiffer at the end of long runs it is probabily due to the air heating up. The damping would feel "softer" and faster in rebound. A piggy back shock will make the damping more consistent. You should investigate the root of the problem before buying a new shock.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010364
Mobile Version of Website