MTB health insurance supplement

PB Forum :: USA - East
MTB health insurance supplement
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 13:53 Quote
Recently moved stateside and shopping around for a health insurance supplement that covers MTB.

While I'm still trying to figure out what my employer's insurance includes for coverage, I was wondering what others do to make sure they don't pay through their bleeding noses for any MTB-related injury?

Cheers!

Posted: Oct 30, 2018 at 3:07 Quote
Your insurance through your employers covers all activities I'm pretty sure. Just be prepared to pay out the ass for premiums and deductibles, unless your company actually gives half a rats a$$ about you.

FL
Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 6:11 Quote
A good idea if you are accident prone or otherwise afflicted with bad luck is to take out your out of pocket max on an fsa card. This will be pretax so you'll save anywhere from 8 to 24%. One trip to the ER (4-5k) or an ambulance ride (500-1k) and you'll be approaching your out of pocket max anyway. You can also use the fsa card for prescription medicine, copays, dental care, etc. Just save your receipts as they will be audited to make sure they were indeed medical expenses. Some employers allow HSA accounts which have drastically reduced premiums (and benefits) if you're a low risk user. These generally have really high out of pocket max's and copays. You can offset some of these possible costs by putting money into an HSA which let's you save money like a bank account to use on your health care. Your HR department should help you sort out this nonsense. Know that dental and vision aren't included in most policies. If you're gonna be paycheck to paycheck look into short term disability. The only other advice I can offer is to find a primary provider who can do things like X-rays, draw labs or do some basic Ortho (ask about sports medicine when doc shopping). This can save you an er visit and a metric crap ton of money in the end.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
Thanks!! That sounds complicated but worth looking into!

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 at 10:59 Quote
I've been injured twice this summer, one on my employers insurance (Independence Blue Cross) and the other on short term insurance (United Health Care). Both covered my injuries, I don't think there are limitations to coverage based on what you are doing, if there are it appears MTB is included.

If you are looking for short term coverage between when your work insurance starts, I definitely recommend short term with United Health Care. I got a 3-month policy for $280 just in case/ last minute before the season started, as I just started a new job and my employer insurance didn't kick in until mid summer.. 3 weeks later I broke my CB and needed surgery. Deductible/ out of pocket were a little high, but I only paid total $5K instead of the actual $32K for ER/ surgery/ follow-ups.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 8:17 Quote
Thanks for your answers everyone!
Opted for the premium-low coinsurance and co-pay package my employer offers. I think I should call myself lucky having that option, but I still gotta tell you; it's about a third of the premium I'd pay previously, living in the UK and Germany.

Let's see and hope nothing serious happens ;-)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010146
Mobile Version of Website