Hightower LT - Tyre Hitting Seat Tube

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Hightower LT - Tyre Hitting Seat Tube
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 6:37 Quote
Every time i bottom out on my 2018 small hightower LT the rear tyre hits the seat tube and its starting to mark the paint now. Im wondering if anyone else has had the problem. I have been in touch with santa cruz warranty department just waiting for a response. Want to try and get it sorted soon as possible. I havent changed anything on the bike since i got it brand new. Does anyone have a small LT that could check the part number on their upper and lower linkages so i can see if its the same as mine?

Cheers
Alex

photo

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 11:05 Quote
Not a problem for me but mine's an XXL.

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 6:29 Quote
Had this happen to my regular HT last year in a size large. They took care of it and gave me a new frame. Since its this late in the season theyll probably hook you up with a 19 (which is what happened to me) unless they have front triangles laying around

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 23:51 Quote
Nice one that would be ideal! Do you know what the cause of this problem is?

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 0:34 Quote
sorry for offtop

photo

take some tokens in shock!

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 2:02 Quote
Yea have tried that, the syndicate mechanics had a look at it in fort William and tried some tokens, but tyre still hit the frame. I don't think it should be hitting the frame even with out tokens tho

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 3:17 Quote
b1kesrule wrote:

Cant say for certain. I had a float x (correct shock size) and had a 2.5" rear tire on the back. Santa cruz recommended i dont run a 2.5 on the rear when stock was 2.3. I got a bit of rub with the 2.3 but i put a piece of kydex on the back so it didnt buzz frame. Havent had any issues with the LT this year with an x2 and 2.5s

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 3:50 Quote
Smitty2661 wrote:
b1kesrule wrote:

Cant say for certain. I had a float x (correct shock size) and had a 2.5" rear tire on the back. Santa cruz recommended i dont run a 2.5 on the rear when stock was 2.3. I got a bit of rub with the 2.3 but i put a piece of kydex on the back so it didnt buzz frame. Havent had any issues with the LT this year with an x2 and 2.5s

maybe extralarge tyre volume?

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 4:23 Quote
mediagrand wrote:
Smitty2661 wrote:
b1kesrule wrote:

maybe extralarge tyre volume?

Thats what they thought. I released all the air out of the shock and there was probably 5mm between the tire at the normal pressure i run and the frame. So prob tire bulge and little bit of frame flex. Wish i still had the pics, cant find them, must have deleted them

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
elk100 wrote:
Every time i bottom out on my 2018 small hightower LT the rear tyre hits the seat tube and its starting to mark the paint now. Im wondering if anyone else has had the problem. I have been in touch with santa cruz warranty department just waiting for a response. Want to try and get it sorted soon as possible. I havent changed anything on the bike since i got it brand new. Does anyone have a small LT that could check the part number on their upper and lower linkages so i can see if its the same as mine?

Same thing happening to me on my 2018 nomad large in pretty much the same spot but only started to see it when having huge bottom outs and using a 2.5 inch dhf instead of a 2.4 dhr2 which means that tte tire sticks out farther and i also started hitting 55 foot jumps for the first time which means massive bottom outs but planning on switching back to dhr2 2.4 inch next season so it will probably be fine.

Cheers
Alex

photo

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 7:58 Quote
Had the same issue on my HT 2017. Switched out to a Cane Creek IL coil and no more problem.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012331
Mobile Version of Website