BB7 power problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
BB7 power problems
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 18:03 Quote
[Quote="TomBasic"]I have BB7's and they work excellent, BUT setup is critical. And, I had the original Avid Mechanicals (when they first came out) and the same is true: setup is critical.

Here's how I set up my calipers:
1. Loosen the caliper mounting bolts.
2. Unscrew the pad adjustment knobs all the way.
3. Then, screw the knobs back in, equal clicks on both sides, until the disc is firmly sandwiched between the pads.
4. Pull the brake lever tight while tightening the caliper mounting bolts - do not overtighten these bolts (they don't need much), overtightening will torque the caliper out of position.
5. Unscrew the knobs, equal clicks on both sides, till there's no drag.
6. If the brake is too tight (you pull the lever just a little and it already grabs) unscrew only the moving pad knob, not the fixed pad knob.
7. Do some hard stops, and don't expect to receive full power until the pads have had some time to bed in. More bed-in time will be needed if you've been running your pads at a bad angle, previously.
[Quote]

Setup is pretty important too, this is pretty much Avid's recommended setup process.
Dialing in your pads is important too.
I rode BB7's for DH this year at Silverstar. I was never a huge believer in the whole hydro brake thing, I never wanted to deal with fluid and the potential of breaking hydro lines. Around September I got some Juicy 5's. The only thing I'm going to say is for cross country, all mountain, or dirt jumping, BB7's are pretty stealth. For DH and freeride, go hydro. I wasn't able to do any back to back days this year at Silverstar because my hands would be way too sore from the extra force needed to brake hard on my BB7's. If I had hydros it would have never been a problem.

Posted: Aug 5, 2008 at 20:15 Quote
this probabaly isnt the problem but just a suggestion

make sure the actual brake arm is all the way back
and use the pad adjusters to get the right cable tension instead
of adjusting the brake arm

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012977
Mobile Version of Website