Fox Fork oil equivalent

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox Fork oil equivalent
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 21, 2018 at 17:15 Quote
Witch moto fork oil is a equivalent to the Fox 20 Wt gold ?( Motul, Belray, Mobile, orther) ? It appears LBS don't use the Fox gold anyway. They don't have it in stock and they want to sell me something else at the same price.

What about the damper side? Witch one is equivalent to Fox R3 5 Wt ?

Fox oil is very expensive in Canada. To my knowledge, Fox doesn't run a refinery right !?!

Thanks

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2018 at 8:03 Quote
I was in a similar situation and it seems the " X wt " on most of these oils is not really comparable and the viscosity index (measured in cst) is a much better way to find suitable replacements.

Here's two charts I found that might help you:

http://www.mediaturbo.com/clients/marzocchi/forkoilviscosity.html
http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

Basically find the cst of the oil you want to replace and its closest match and you're set.

I got the maxima oils I needed at fortnine.ca for a very reasonable price.

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 12:52 Quote
I had a similar issue when trying to find fox 7wt oil for my 40s and i ended up going to my local auto parts store and buying 7.5 wt motorcycle fork oil for the bath oil in the lowers and I've been using for the past twp years with absolutely no problems. i know the cst isn't the same but i haven't had a problem with it. Just my 2 cents. For the damper oil id definitely use the fox stuff or something with the same cst. you wouldnt want to mess around too much with the damping characteristics.

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 18:48 Quote
Thanks guys for your input. I've done intensive research the last couple of days based on the cst of motorcycle fork oil. I think the best match would be:

Fox Fork 20Wt Gold bath oil 98.9cst @40C / 13.6cst @ 100 C ===> Bel-Ray High Perf Fork Oil 30W 105 cts/12 cst

Fox R3 5W (damper oil) 15.8cst @40C / 4.07cst @100 c ====> Maxima 5W 16.2cst / 4.4cst

This link is a good reference as well: https://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 21:15 Quote
Why not get fox oil? It’s not like they are ripping you off. You know it works. It’s a bit expensive. So what?

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 3:44 Quote
I agree. It's not a question of money but rather a question of principles. Fox racing maintains a very strict exportation policy, witch, in my opinion, is not acceptable.

In USA, customers buy Fox 20 gold bath oil 12 USD. In Canada, the same oil sells for 23 USD + 15% GST. Fox doesn't autorize US bike shops to ship Fox products to Canadian customer­s.

Fox make realy good products, But Fox's market policy is a non sense in 2018.

Posted: Apr 28, 2018 at 18:16 Quote
Any 20w oil been using for years w zero issues. I'd spend more money on type of pivot bearings,etc.

Posted: Apr 28, 2018 at 18:35 Quote
tbartoncv wrote:
Why not get fox oil? It’s not like they are ripping you off. You know it works. It’s a bit expensive. So what?
Last time I checked in Calgary, 20w Gold is ~$45/qt, over 2x the cost of other quality oils (Motorex, Motul, Red Line, etc).

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
Today I was searching to find an equivalent fork oil to Fox gold 20 wt for my 32 fit 4 2016 and I read this topic.

I found that Elf motorcycle fork oil 20 w,is almost identical to Fox gold.

Elf 20 W fork oil: 99 cst / 40 C - 14.6 cst / 100 C

Fox 20 wt gold oil: 98.9 cst / 40 C - 13.6 cst / 100 C

In EU the price for a liter of Elf costs around 10 euro or less. Rarely you can pick a deal for less than 5 euros. I couldn't found Fox gold for less than 22 euros for 946 ml.

In the search for equivalent fork oil I found out that Ohlins 20 w fork oil is also close at 99 cst / 40 C. But the 100 C cst spec wasn't available from manufacturer. Actually it didn't matter as the price of Ohlins was higher than Fox.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2020 at 5:30 Quote
Ya it’s kind of insane to pay that much for oil. My LBS in Kitchener wants $50+tax for 32oz of Fox 10w red! It’s like some supplier buys it for the retail price from the states, doubles the price, sells it to the LBS who then double the price again and think I should be happy to buy it. Actually I’m curious about that happening with a lot of bike parts from the LBS. Unless all you need is a tire patch or cable crimp, most things will take twice as much money and time to get from our LB shops around here as it would online from the States. Anyways, I’m also looking for alternative oils. Will have to do some research. Thanks for sharing the links!

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
Jordansemailaddress wrote:
Ya it’s kind of insane to pay that much for oil. My LBS in Kitchener wants $50+tax for 32oz of Fox 10w red! It’s like some supplier buys it for the retail price from the states, doubles the price, sells it to the LBS who then double the price again and think I should be happy to buy it. Actually I’m curious about that happening with a lot of bike parts from the LBS. Unless all you need is a tire patch or cable crimp, most things will take twice as much money and time to get from our LB shops around here as it would online from the States. Anyways, I’m also looking for alternative oils. Will have to do some research. Thanks for sharing the links!
I recently bought a 250ml bottle of Fox 20w from my LBS for $11. Not a great value but my fork only uses a small volume of bath oil (spec is 7cc per leg) so I'll give it a try at the next change.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
Been using $5 qt 20w honda oil for years w zero issues..

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 12:07 Quote
Where are you located and which LBS did you buy this at? I can't seem to find any Fox oil at the LBS in my area.

brianl wrote:
Jordansemailaddress wrote:
I recently bought a 250ml bottle of Fox 20w from my LBS for $11. Not a great value but my fork only uses a small volume of bath oil (spec is 7cc per leg) so I'll give it a try at the next change.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
Extra virgin olive oil has worked perfectly for me, and after doing a lower leg service, i can sauté some onions. Win-win!

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 3:04 Quote
ogodude wrote:
I was in a similar situation and it seems the " X wt " on most of these oils is not really comparable and the viscosity index (measured in cst) is a much better way to find suitable replacements.

Here's two charts I found that might help you:

http://www.mediaturbo.com/clients/marzocchi/forkoilviscosity.html
http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

Basically find the cst of the oil you want to replace and its closest match and you're set.

I got the maxima oils I needed at fortnine.ca for a very reasonable price.

which maxima oil specifically do you use for which forks and what are the results?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015417
Mobile Version of Website