Upgrade old FS or buy newer FS

PB Forum :: Beginners
Upgrade old FS or buy newer FS
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 7:49 Quote
Currently riding a 2006 Kona Kikapu that I only have $200 invested in. Im torn between putting upgrades on the bike or looking for a newer bike with an air fork/shock. My goal is to be able to ride Big Bear on a somewhat capable bike once the season starts. Right now the Kona is ok for light use but the spring fork and shock are really killing me. I feel like only having $200 invested I could build a decent bike but am unsure if it’s just going to become a money pit and I’ll never meet the performance of something 2010 and newer.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 8:23 Quote
I wouldn't do any significant upgrades to that bike. As long as its functions, just ride it. Save your pennies for a more modern complete used bike.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 14:06 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
I wouldn't do any significant upgrades to that bike. As long as its functions, just ride it. Save your pennies for a more modern complete used bike.

How much newer should I look for? 2010+?

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 14:46 Quote
get what you can afford... ride this bike, think about what you like and what you hate about it ... then try and figure out what bike is going to work for you and your budget.

... I am just saying, if the bike works right now, no amount of money is going to turn it into something it's not.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 16:27 Quote
Yeah so far I’m finding the suspension just holds me back the most right now. I’ve never ridden a nicer bike so I guess I’m just not sure if I’m missing out on anything major. Thanks for the feedback.

FL
Posted: Apr 13, 2018 at 20:32 Quote
I'd say ride it as it is while saving for something better. A bike 12 years old will never ride like something newer. It's a metter of build and geometry.

Whatever you decide, a cheap and very welcome upgrade for an older bike is some offset bushings (mounting hardware) for the shock.
It'll lower the BB, and slack out the head angle up to 1.5°, depends on the bike. You can find them from 30$.

FL
Posted: Apr 13, 2018 at 20:32 Quote
I'd say ride it as it is while saving for something better. A bike 12 years old will never ride like something newer. It's a metter of build and geometry.

Whatever you decide, a cheap and very welcome upgrade for an older bike is some offset bushings (mounting hardware) for the shock.
It'll lower the BB, and slack out the head angle up to 1.5°, depends on the bike. You can find them from 30$.

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 at 20:41 Quote
I went through this very same exercise last year. I have a 2008 Kona Four. Great bike for its day, but very dated by today's standards. I looked at a lot of bikes and compared geometry, suspension, brakes and all that. Then I got my wife a 27.5 Giant Trance. The 26 just couldn't keep up and I'm a much stronger rider than my wife is. So.... I purchased a close out YT Jeffsy 27.5 in January. It rides easier, faster, and further than any 26 bike I've ever been on. Everything on new bikes is bigger, better, faster. And best of all, easier on my old body!

The short: Don't spend anything on it unless you plan on handing it down to someone. I did that with my Kona and its my sons bike now. Save your pennies, buy something new. You can get a lot of bike for around $1500 these days from the likes of Giant, Bossnut, Marin, and others. Any entry fully at this price point will be better than what you are riding.

FL
Posted: Apr 14, 2018 at 7:09 Quote
Poulsbojohnny wrote:
Then I got my wife a 27.5 Giant Trance. The 26 just couldn't keep up.

I say that difference was because of the rest of the bike, not just the wheel size; geometry, build and suspension from 2008 are crap compared to a modern Trance. Most of my friends riding new bikes regularly said they didn't notice the new wheel size (unless 29”, of course).

And I say so because if you are on a budget, you can pick some awesome mid-high end 26ers from recent years for really cheap.

Posted: Apr 14, 2018 at 10:06 Quote
Yeah, you're better off buying a new one. I looked up that bike and see how the suspension design could cause a lot of pedal bob. Some of the new suspension designs are really good about isolating road bumps from pedaling forces, which would allow you to go faster and not work as hard. That is why I prefer hardtails. lol

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 12:23 Quote
@ismasan

Could be. Regardless, she was smoking me on climbs!

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 16:33 Quote
I say go Demo a bike or 2 when you do go to Big Bear. When the end of the season comes along you will have a better Idea of what you want and the prices will drop at the end of the season. Right now some Shops still have last years models for a Great deal. Start shopping around it never hurts too look and you might get lucky and find a killer deal on here or CL or maybe the LBS.

I feel like if you enjoy mountain biking and want to do more of it and will get your moneys worth out of a bike start shopping if you just want to ride a park once a year get a demo.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009265
Mobile Version of Website