B9er thread

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2017 at 12:57 Quote
I modified my first b9er bike from Specialized Enduro 29" in 2015 and now ride a b9er Jeffsy

photo

With a 150mm pike and 27,5x2,5" DHF rear tyre the BBH is ~340mm, head angle 66° and seat angle 73,5°.
Original geometry with a 140mm Pike and Flip Chip in high position: BBH 348mm, HA 67,5° and SA 75°.
So the smaller rear wheel slackens the bike and you may need to compensate that with offset bushing or other modification.
These are mine mods:
- Flip Chip from low to high position: 0,5° change in angles
- 175mm cranks -> 170mm cranks
- 200x57mm shock to 203x62mm shock (not in picture)

Nowadays I ride everywhere with this setup (local trails, bike parks, national enduro races...).
The lower center of mass and BBH helps with berms, turns and generally when you change a direction.

The UCI have regulation that states the wheels have to be the same size. So this is UCI's rule and it is valid in UCI's races but enduro racing is free from this rule.*

Are there anybody else that are racing enduro on a b9er bike?
Post your setup and tell your experience!

*The regulation will change in 2019 season:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/2019-uci-mtb-rule-book-dh-world-cup-start-order-wheel-size-emtb-alpine-snow-bike-pump-track.html

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 at 14:49 Quote
I have a devinci troy.put a fox 36-29er biult a spank 35 internal and run ing a dhf 2.8. Its half inch shy of 29 diameter.slackens it out just a tad also raised bb just enough.very fun to ride.18 psi thru r.gardens like cheating.mike s

Posted: Jan 1, 2018 at 18:03 Quote
I've been playing with the idea of 27+ rear tyre in my 29 am hardtail. I think I'm gonna do it. Looks so cool too.

Posted: Jan 1, 2018 at 21:18 Quote
This winter I have been running an Ice Spiker Pro 2.6" in the back. It's about same size as the 2,5 DHF so it doesn't change the geometry from the summer setup. Last winter I ran an ISP 2.25" in the back which slackened the geometry too much.

Posted: Jan 1, 2018 at 21:20 Quote
ollia wrote:
I've been playing with the idea of 27+ rear tyre in my 29 am hardtail. I think I'm gonna do it. Looks so cool too.

Sounds interesting! Post a picture from the setup when it's ready?

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 8:07 Quote
Some media contents: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k8IZYhdvo04

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 8:39 Quote
Did you get the rear shock from a trek remedy or something, cause thet shock size is rare and only trek remember using it! Would love to try it on my jeffsy but with 29er rear wheel it will rub the f@ck out of the seat tube as the clearance when compressed now it''s pretty tight!

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 9:30 Quote
I bought the shock from Fox dealer in Finland.
It supposed to be 200x57mm lenght but after several hours of riding I noticed that it was longer.
The model is DHX 5.0 coil. I think that it is a custom shock for old Specialized frames because the boost air valve was missing. Here is a picture of the boost valve after modding.
photo

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 7:29 Quote
And it's a coil! You lucky b@st@rd!!! Envious I am!
How does it rides???

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 3:34 Quote
Well... like another bike.
I rode first three months the DHX in 0 - -15°C temperatures with too stiff spring so it didn`t feel the same than now.
Next three months I ride with air shock in 0 - 20°C temperatures and felt that the bike wass less cabable in downhills than my previous fs bike Specialized Enduro 29".

When I switched back to DHX with the correct spring rate the bike felt more planted. The rebound was more controllable and the bike felt more cabable. Last summer I rode about 10 days in Scandinavian bikeparks and the Jeffsy didn`t feel underbiked there. Offcourse the 150mm Pike with DIY luftkappe helped this also.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 2:11 Quote
B9er Jeffsy in race mode
B9er Jeffsy in race mode

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 4:19 Quote
My Intense SS2 was set up with a 140mm MRP stage 29. absolutely loved it till it was stolen last week. still unsure what the next bike is gonna be but whatever it is im doing another B9er setup
Testing the proto 27.5 dropouts

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 7:59 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
My Intense SS2 was set up with a 140mm MRP stage 29. absolutely loved it till it was stolen last week. still unsure what the next bike is gonna be but whatever it is im doing another B9er setup
Testing the proto 27.5 dropouts

Nice looking Intense! How does it compare to original setup?

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 8:03 Quote
ofcourse it was a little less playful, little more work to really get it into a corner but it was so worth it. my trail times were so much faster. took way less work to pedal around and maintain speed. Was still a super playful bike. i rode it a ton at the local park and i was carrying so much more speed thru jump lines i was having to hit brakes before lips or else i would overshoot them all. i loved it so much and thats why i plan on doing another b9 setup on my next bike.

still dont know what im gonna get next, depends on how big of a check i get from insurance. Gonna go for a taniwha if i can or else it will probably be a patrol or meta am v4.2

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 22:40 Quote
As you guys have ecperience riding a b9er, what do you think about 26x3,0 rear and 29x2,35 front? Would it be too much difference in overall wheel diameter? Isn't it around the same difference as 27,5x2,35 vs 29x2,35?

I'm just thinking about this for a hardtail, so I could have a tiny bit more cushion in the back but still the sharp steering and rollover of the 29 in front. It would be quite cheap to try though, as 26" back wheels go cheap used. I have to look at the tyre options as well as I really want good damping and grip.

Sorry, a bit ot but there's not too many of these threads around.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016661
Mobile Version of Website