Complete Noob

PB Forum :: Beginners
Complete Noob
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 21, 2017 at 13:36 Quote
Hi all,

I decided to take up mountain biking as a new hobby of mine, (I used to do various hobbies such as, skateboarding, surfing), not had a hobby for a while so thought this would be good, I used to watch a lot of MTB on extreme sports! lol, I have always had a general interest.

I bought myself a starting bike, with the intention of learning how to upgrade everything, fix it, install new parts etc, I am fully intending to over time upgrade literally everything on it. I am a complete noob to mountain biking, so I have a lot to learn especially riding skills and techniques and learning how a bike should ride etc, so where do I start? I would like to get a new saddle, pedals, my brakes definitely need upgrading as the ones I currently have are awful, any recommendations on these would be greatly appreciated.

I like riding off road, which I've been doing lately just for a couple hours a day exploring my surroundings, I'm not sure whether I'm brave enough to do purely downhill and jumps etc, I want to learn to ride properly on all different terrains and learn things like riding on / off small things, doing trails and so on, I've done some small bunny hops of off tree roots etc, that was rather fun!

Thank you in advance for any tips and for reading my first post.

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2017 at 10:52 Quote
I'm new to the sport by two years and by no means an expert. But I'll offer my two cents for what it's worth. Wink

It sounds like you already have an idea of your current bike's limitations. All the items you want to upgrade are things I did too. Consequently the items you mentioned are subjective and only you can decide what's best.

With brakes, here're some things to consider. Assuming your bike has discs, are you looking to upgrade your pads? Organic/resin to metallic/semi-metallic or vice-versa? Are your rotors compatible with different pad types? Have you tried different brake brands? Shimano Deore to SLX? SLX to XT? SRAM? Magura?

In short, read a lot of reviews, check out what other riders have spec'd on their bikes and ask lots of questions.

Good luck!

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 at 7:43 Quote
do it step by step ,buddy.i really admire your enthusiasm,and hope you can seek fun form riding.you may need something cool items to personalize your bike.
cool stem caps are good choice .

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017318
Mobile Version of Website