Is full suspension worth it?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Is full suspension worth it?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 12:02 Quote
So, to get this started, I'm thirteen. I love mountain biking, but I don't get to do it a ton. If anybody here lives on Vancouver Island, you may have heard of hartland dump, which trail forks calls the crown jewel of victoria. Hartland has trails from green to triple black diamond, although they are mostly focused on technical. Right now I own a hardtail bike called the pitch, made by specialized. I'm wondering if it is worth it to get a full suspension bike. Please note I am not flushed with cash and would have to save up for a long time.

Thanks

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 13:37 Quote
Keep riding the hardtail until it's no good. Your skills will improve steadily. When you can get on FS you'll really appreciate it. You're only 13, no rush to get FS enjoy what you have now. Next bike, go big (or as big as you can).

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 17:55 Quote
I will never buy a hard tail, not even for road use, but I am 40 years older than you. I have 2 full suspension bikes, an older Rocky Mountain Element with not much travel, and a newer Altitude with 160mm front and 150 rear. My lower back and wrist are sore after hard trail rides on the Element, but never hurt on the Altitude. Plus, there are a lot of trails I won't even try on the Element, but the Altitude is a beast and I am fearless on it. Since you are young, keep the hardtail if you enjoy riding it. But, once you ride a really good full suspension bike, if you are like me you will never want another hardtail. If you use plus size tires, they will absorb some shock, but still not like a good suspension will....Don

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 0:35 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
I will never buy a hard tail, not even for road use, but I am 40 years older than you. I have 2 full suspension bikes, an older Rocky Mountain Element with not much travel, and a newer Altitude with 160mm front and 150 rear. My lower back and wrist are sore after hard trail rides on the Element, but never hurt on the Altitude. Plus, there are a lot of trails I won't even try on the Element, but the Altitude is a beast and I am fearless on it. Since you are young, keep the hardtail if you enjoy riding it. But, once you ride a really good full suspension bike, if you are like me you will never want another hardtail. If you use plus size tires, they will absorb some shock, but still not like a good suspension will....Don
i get your angle about the back,I'm in the same same situation,but I do think everyone should ride a hardtail as some point,they're great fun,improve you skils,and to be honest the hardtalis around now are awsome,Chromag Stanton etc.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 1:02 Quote
Keep the money until you grow up, entry-level FS bikes are not great and could be cumbersome for someone your age.I would say look into more aggressive hardtails if your riding is really evolving, you can get really good frames that aren't that expensive (Dartmoor Primal for example), and it will still be an amazing bike to ride.Focus on improving yourself, and at some point when you decide you've got it figured out, then you can look into blingy FS bikes.They do make a load of difference to riding in any condition in my opinion, so yes, it is worth getting one, but not "now" Smile . (just my opinion, ofcourse)

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 1:19 Quote
berryz wrote:
Keep the money until you grow up, entry-level FS bikes are not great and could be cumbersome for someone your age.I would say look into more aggressive hardtails if your riding is really evolving, you can get really good frames that aren't that expensive (Dartmoor Primal for example), and it will still be an amazing bike to ride.Focus on improving yourself, and at some point when you decide you've got it figured out, then you can look into blingy FS bikes.They do make a load of difference to riding in any condition in my opinion, so yes, it is worth getting one, but not "now" Smile . (just my opinion, ofcourse)
ive had some good hardtail frames over the years,and I can honestly say the Dartmoor Hornet was the best one by far,great frame regardless of cost.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 1:32 Quote
Hardtails are great and agressive all mountain hardtails can be found cheap. A full sus is fun but rarely neccesary. i can ride almost anything i ride on my full sus just as well with they hardtail, just a bit slower.

Also if you truely shred on a hardtail and start beating most People on 7 Grand full sus bikes it gives you a sence of joy you will only understand then.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 1:47 Quote
I classed mid-field at a local enduro race on a 120mm GT Zaskar (XC bike), doesn't change the fact that modern full-sus bikes are incredibly fast (and fun), but as Luneec said, they're not always necessary.It all depends on the terrain you're riding on and your riding skills, the very natural trails we have here up in the mountains just scream for a FS bike, they chew up hardtails and XC tyres.It's worth trying just to see how you like them, for me, if money isn't an issue, I would go for a full suspension bike every time, but for learning and having great fun on a budget, nothing can beat a good hardtail.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 12:41 Quote
I'm 48, still ride hard tails, mostly with hard forks as well. Whether or not you really need full suspension is a matter of opinion and taste. I work for a manufacturer in the bike industry and my personal opinion is that a lot of riders these days crack and kill wheels because they came of age riding full suspension and thus didn't have to learn as much about line choice. A hard tail will force you to learn how to pick lines. Once you learn that, your wheels will last a lot longer, and you'll be blazing fast on full squish bikes.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 20:02 Quote
SuperDucky wrote:
So, to get this started, I'm thirteen. I love mountain biking, but I don't get to do it a ton. If anybody here lives on Vancouver Island, you may have heard of hartland dump, which trail forks calls the crown jewel of victoria. Hartland has trails from green to triple black diamond, although they are mostly focused on technical. Right now I own a hardtail bike called the pitch, made by specialized. I'm wondering if it is worth it to get a full suspension bike. Please note I am not flushed with cash and would have to save up for a long time.

Thanks

At 13, you should be riding a Dirt Jumper hard tail, and learning to hit jumps. All these old guys that are scared of jumping . . . it's because they didn't do it when they were 13!!! Cool

example:
photo
photo

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 7:32 Quote
No, when I was younger I learned to jump on motorcycles. They were full suspension, only those mini-bikes with the little wheels were hardtails......Don

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 14:40 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
SuperDucky wrote:

Thanks

At 13, you should be riding a Dirt Jumper hard tail, and learning to hit jumps. All these old guys that are scared of jumping . . . it's because they didn't do it when they were 13!!! Cool

example:
photo
photo
You couldn't have said it better. I'm 36, not scarred to jump, just not confident. That's why I'm currently building a jump line behind my house and just ordered a 2016 Norco one25.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 15:26 Quote
DC981 wrote:
You couldn't have said it better. I'm 36, not scarred to jump, just not confident. That's why I'm currently building a jump line behind my house and just ordered a 2016 Norco one25.

sweet! jumping can definitely be learned later as well. I've met plenty of guys who are examples of that, too.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 17:48 Quote
You guys just don't understand how good kids are... 13yo kids shred the shit out of whistler bike park nowadays... They're way better than us old timers were at that age. Of course a full squish will make a massive difference, kid. But unless you can afford a good one, hold on to your hardtail. It all comes down to its setup and if you can get better components on your hardtail then it might be a better option.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 18:06 Quote
SuperDucky wrote:
I'm wondering if it is worth it to get a full suspension bike.
Absolutely!

SuperDucky wrote:
Please note I am not flushed with cash and would have to save up for a long time.
Even better! Several folks have already suggested staying on the hardtail to continue to develop your skills...your lack of cash will force this upon you. But it will also give you some time to figure out what type of riding you like most, ride most, and would benefit the most from a FS rig. When you, or your mom/dad, isn't a dentist/doctor/banker, quality bikes are substantial purchases, so it's better to be dang sure exactly what you're looking for and do your research. It sounds like you have time to figure that out Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011485
Mobile Version of Website