Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 0:34 Quote
gbcarmona wrote:
The other day I had a really noticeable creak on my bike...CK headset, one year old...before I considered fork steerer (I also had that problem once on some Fox 36’s with almost 2 years, in fact 1 week before warranty expired and Fox replaced it), I removed the headset out, flushed it and put some grease inside...it was completely dry and looked like it never had any grease inside from new! Solved the problem!
I’ve heard a few reports of the linkage creaking on the new Sentinel, due to the lack of grease too.

Did you know before that it was coming from the headset? I have a tick on mine at the moment and I can't work out for the life of me where its coming from, i've tightened everything, pivots, bb preload, rear mech etc. When I ride I feel like its coming from the rear but these things are fickle.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 3:58 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
gbcarmona wrote:
The other day I had a really noticeable creak on my bike...CK headset, one year old...before I considered fork steerer (I also had that problem once on some Fox 36’s with almost 2 years, in fact 1 week before warranty expired and Fox replaced it), I removed the headset out, flushed it and put some grease inside...it was completely dry and looked like it never had any grease inside from new! Solved the problem!
I’ve heard a few reports of the linkage creaking on the new Sentinel, due to the lack of grease too.

Did you know before that it was coming from the headset? I have a tick on mine at the moment and I can't work out for the life of me where its coming from, i've tightened everything, pivots, bb preload, rear mech etc. When I ride I feel like its coming from the rear but these things are fickle.

No, but it was my first guess...and the easiest to try and sort out...If I were you, I would remove the cups, pop the seals, flush the bearings, clean and dry well, fresh grease and fit again with a bit of grease on the frame. See if that does the trick...as others said, make sure you have enough space between top cap and steerer tube once you tighten it.
But creaks are annoying...I once had one that felt it was BB or linkages...dismantled everything, re-grease, etc...only to find out it was the pedal axle.

If the BB doesn’t work and your forks are around 2 years, depending on the type of riding you do (jumps, drops, loads of chatter, etc) it could be the CSU! If under warranty, if you send to Fox, they will replace it!

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 6:37 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
gbcarmona wrote:

What build do you have? I have a click from the rear of my gx build and I’ve heard the RockShox super deluxe is the problem and is actually under warranty. They mentioned it on the PB review also.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
Travis1010 wrote:
oatkinso wrote:
gbcarmona wrote:

What build do you have? I have a click from the rear of my gx build and I’ve heard the RockShox super deluxe is the problem and is actually under warranty. They mentioned it on the PB review also.

yeah i've got a GX but its super deluxe coil upgrade which I sorted a few months ago, pretty sure its not that. my rear mech came loose and I tightened that but it didn't solve it, then the same with the main pivot but again, didn't solve it. im about to build a new rear wheel, I've taken the opportunity to build a pro4 with Stans ex3 cos im ruining the s1's which seem to be made of cheese, might make a difference to the ticking, who knows. Its definitely more of a tick than a creak if that makes any sense!

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 9:26 Quote
supercollider wrote:
davidbirdsong wrote:
supercollider wrote:
@david, Mine fit great, but it would click a bit if i had it a smidge loose. And it also settled in over time. Assuming you have a new HS in there. Can't really tell from the picture, how much spacer do you have poking out above the steerer tube?

I think there's about an inch worth of stack washers in there.

When you say 'loose' are you talking about loose tention squashing the HS? Like tighten up the star nut? Or just loose pinch bolts on the stem?

I pulled the fork off, cleaned the HS bearings, reinstalled...no change.

I'm starting to think it's the steer tube creaking in the crown now.

I've gotten good at knowing the difference in sound, sadly.

Just ruling out some common causes, when you take the top cap off is there a few MM of spacer or stem sticking up above the top of steerer tube? Its easy to accidentally bottom out the top cap on the ST and not realize it.
You'd know it's that because tightening the top cap eventually takes quite a bit of pressure, but the overall HS doesn't feel any tighter. If there is enough space up there, eventually the HS will get gravelly when turning the bars.

The other thing that gave me much grief was the oneup EDC stem I had on my prev. bike. The HS just never felt quiet. I think it was their tightening system shifting around.

If it is the crown, fox replaced my uppers without a hassle.
'
Oh yeah. When I mean loose, meant I had to retighten the headset as it settled in a bit. (undo stem bolts, tighten top cap, yadda yadda)

yeah, there's a tiny bit of ST showing, but there's also a tiny stack washer on the top to cover that gap (and a tiny bit more), so the topcap doesn't bottom out. i could try really cranking up that tension even more.

the sound is big and cracking-like. almost like it travels and resonates. i'm having a hell of time tracing it directly to the bars or headset cups or even stanchion, but it's got a big deep cracking resonating sound.

i can even reproduce it (sometimes) by gently bumping my bike (rolling it with me on it) into my garage door jam. if it's set up right, by way of other stresses, that gentle compression will trigger it...and crACK!

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
davidbirdsong wrote:
supercollider wrote:
davidbirdsong wrote:

I think there's about an inch worth of stack washers in there.

When you say 'loose' are you talking about loose tention squashing the HS? Like tighten up the star nut? Or just loose pinch bolts on the stem?

I pulled the fork off, cleaned the HS bearings, reinstalled...no change.

I'm starting to think it's the steer tube creaking in the crown now.

Just ruling out some common causes, when you take the top cap off is there a few MM of spacer or stem sticking up above the top of steerer tube? Its easy to accidentally bottom out the top cap on the ST and not realize it.
You'd know it's that because tightening the top cap eventually takes quite a bit of pressure, but the overall HS doesn't feel any tighter. If there is enough space up there, eventually the HS will get gravelly when turning the bars.

The other thing that gave me much grief was the oneup EDC stem I had on my prev. bike. The HS just never felt quiet. I think it was their tightening system shifting around.

'
Oh yeah. When I mean loose, meant I had to retighten the headset as it settled in a bit. (undo stem bolts, tighten top cap, yadda yadda)

yeah, there's a tiny bit of ST showing, but there's also a tiny stack washer on the top to cover that gap (and a tiny bit more), so the topcap doesn't bottom out. i could try really cranking up that tension even more.

the sound is big and cracking-like. almost like it travels and resonates. i'm having a hell of time tracing it directly to the bars or headset cups or even stanchion, but it's got a big deep cracking resonating sound.

i can even reproduce it (sometimes) by gently bumping my bike (rolling it with me on it) into my garage door jam. if it's set up right, by way of other stresses, that gentle compression will trigger it...and crACK!

I think the fork crown is a good place to look into. if you have some sort of soft vise or some other way to try flexing it while off the bike you'll know fo sho. My creaky crown made unnerving sounds along the lines of what you describe. It's not supposed to be dangerous, but it's confidence shattering. Best of luck.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 10:00 Quote
supercollider wrote:
davidbirdsong wrote:
supercollider wrote:

'

I think the fork crown is a good place to look into. if you have some sort of soft vise or some other way to try flexing it while off the bike you'll know fo sho. My creaky crown made unnerving sounds along the lines of what you describe. It's not supposed to be dangerous, but it's confidence shattering. Best of luck.

awesome, thanks for your help. it sound like something i can punish a little longer than (northstar is about to open) and then warranty and then have no fork for a long time.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
davidbirdsong wrote:
supercollider wrote:
davidbirdsong wrote:

awesome, thanks for your help. it sound like something i can punish a little longer than (northstar is about to open) and then warranty and then have no fork for a long time.

You bet! Check out Fox's service page, btw. they're saying they have fast turnaround right now. Easy to get tech suppt on the phone and they're very helpful. https://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=bike

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
I'll second the creaky crown as the likely culprit. My 2019 Ransom made a similar noise. Thought it was the headset but no matter what I did with cleaning, tightening, adjusting spacers it will still make the pop noise. I could reproduce it by grabbing the front brake and leaning into the bike with my body weight.

Anyway, sold the XL ransom and ordered a L Sentinel on June 8th in Ti Grey. Still waiting for delivery, the wait has been brutal. XL ransom felt a little long for me at 6' and 500mm reach. Emailed Transition and they strongly recommend the L. Marco Osbourne is the same height and even sent him a DM, he said he's on the L and recommended it as well.

Been riding an S3 evo in the meantime that has similar reach and chainstays to SV2 and it feels a lot better fit wise. Far superior in the corners to the ransom. Felt like I had too much room to move around on the ransom and would sometimes get lost body position wise. So I'm pretty confident L was the way to go. Now if the bike would ever get here I could see for myself!

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 17:22 Quote
duffman1976 wrote:
I'll second the creaky crown as the likely culprit. My 2019 Ransom made a similar noise. Thought it was the headset but no matter what I did with cleaning, tightening, adjusting spacers it will still make the pop noise. I could reproduce it by grabbing the front brake and leaning into the bike with my body weight.

Anyway, sold the XL ransom and ordered a L Sentinel on June 8th in Ti Grey. Still waiting for delivery, the wait has been brutal. XL ransom felt a little long for me at 6' and 500mm reach. Emailed Transition and they strongly recommend the L. Marco Osbourne is the same height and even sent him a DM, he said he's on the L and recommended it as well.

Been riding an S3 evo in the meantime that has similar reach and chainstays to SV2 and it feels a lot better fit wise. Far superior in the corners to the ransom. Felt like I had too much room to move around on the ransom and would sometimes get lost body position wise. So I'm pretty confident L was the way to go. Now if the bike would ever get here I could see for myself!

did you warranty the fork?

i can attest, the L fits pretty well. i'm 6' (.5"), 32 inseam--can't imagine any other size. i hope they deliver soon, the wait is brutal with the riding season in full swing.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
davidbirdsong wrote:
duffman1976 wrote:

did you warranty the fork?

i can attest, the L fits pretty well. i'm 6' (.5"), 32 inseam--can't imagine any other size. i hope they deliver soon, the wait is brutal with the riding season in full swing.

That's awesome, we are the same height and inseam. Did a lot of research on sizing because I couldn't demo one locally but I knew the XL ransom was too big and the XL sentinel is about the same reach with an even longer WB so it was a pretty easy decision to go with the L. Talked to my dealer yesterday and asked for an update. I ordered on June 8th and it looks like we made the late July delivery cutoff so I'll be crossing my fingers until then.

I did not warranty the fork. The guy I sold my ransom to weighs about 30 lbs less than me (I'm 185), and it didn't make the noise for him so he didn't care.

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2020 at 18:23 Quote
Travis1010 wrote:
DrPete wrote:
Yet another sizing question... I'm currently on a Size L Yeti SB130 LR and the V2 Sentinel has caught my eye because I'm looking for a more enduro-oriented 29er and Transition has won me over. At 6'2" I'm right in between L and XL. My Yeti has a reach of 476mm, which matches the Sentinel exactly, but I ride it with a 50mm stem. One thing I notice in comparing the geometry, the effective top tube is quite a bit shorter than my Yeti, which makes me a little nervous because I don't exactly feel like I have a ton of room in the cockpit as-is.

I've generally ridden size L and have been at the top end of the sizing for my old Nomad 3, Evil Insurgent, and my Stumpjumper ST, but I'm thinking now that I have a short-travel trail ripper and no longer need a "one bike" that I should go for the XL for the days with bigger descents and the occasional park day. I'm just a little nervous about the big jump in reach.

Just wondering if there's anyone in a similar stuck-between-sizes situation who could give some insight. I've got an email in to Transition as well but I'm just trying to hear some more experiences. Thanks.

I was in the same boat but beteween xl and xxl. I’m 6 4” with a huge 6 8” wingspan and 37” inseam. I ended up with the xxl and I’m glad I did. I never had a chance to sit on the xl though. I came off a 19 spartan with a reach of 489. So I jumped 30mm and I don’t reall notice it but it feels a lot better overall. The ett length And effective seat tube angle makes for an extremely comfortable climbing position seated. Im at the bottom of the xxl according to there chart but with my inseam and wingspan I think makes up for it.

I'm also 6'4" with long arms - 37" sleeve in dress shirts. I was in between XL and XXL. Contacted Transition and they said either size would work, was in between sizes. Went XXL and absolutely love it, no regrets. So maybe you want to size-up and go for the XL, if you're in between sizes.

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 at 23:54 Quote
zoro wrote:
Travis1010 wrote:
DrPete wrote:
Yet another sizing question... I'm currently on a Size L Yeti SB130 LR and the V2 Sentinel has caught my eye because I'm looking for a more enduro-oriented 29er and Transition has won me over. At 6'2" I'm right in between L and XL. My Yeti has a reach of 476mm, which matches the Sentinel exactly, but I ride it with a 50mm stem. One thing I notice in comparing the geometry, the effective top tube is quite a bit shorter than my Yeti, which makes me a little nervous because I don't exactly feel like I have a ton of room in the cockpit as-is.

I've generally ridden size L and have been at the top end of the sizing for my old Nomad 3, Evil Insurgent, and my Stumpjumper ST, but I'm thinking now that I have a short-travel trail ripper and no longer need a "one bike" that I should go for the XL for the days with bigger descents and the occasional park day. I'm just a little nervous about the big jump in reach.

Just wondering if there's anyone in a similar stuck-between-sizes situation who could give some insight. I've got an email in to Transition as well but I'm just trying to hear some more experiences. Thanks.

I was in the same boat but beteween xl and xxl. I’m 6 4” with a huge 6 8” wingspan and 37” inseam. I ended up with the xxl and I’m glad I did. I never had a chance to sit on the xl though. I came off a 19 spartan with a reach of 489. So I jumped 30mm and I don’t reall notice it but it feels a lot better overall. The ett length And effective seat tube angle makes for an extremely comfortable climbing position seated. Im at the bottom of the xxl according to there chart but with my inseam and wingspan I think makes up for it.

I'm also 6'4" with long arms - 37" sleeve in dress shirts. I was in between XL and XXL. Contacted Transition and they said either size would work, was in between sizes. Went XXL and absolutely love it, no regrets. So maybe you want to size-up and go for the XL, if you're in between sizes.

I'm 6'2" and went XL on the V1 and it fit GREAT! Have since gone to a XL V2 and it's pretty much identical in size. I'm running a 35mm length stem and the saddle in the middle of the rails. I've also owned a Nomad 3 in XL, Intense Carbine in L, Pivot Firebird 29 in XL, Rocky Mountain Slayer MY2016 in L (that was a little small for me), and Ibis HD 4 in XL.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
It would be nice to see all your guys bikes really, especially if custom in some way!?

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 6:35 Quote
Anyone on a V2 that came off a SBG patrol? I love my 2019 patrol but have a chance to get a V2 sentinel in October. I demoed the V1 sentinel and loved it but couldn’t get one at the time so went with the Patrol. The GX build looks super solid too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013282
Mobile Version of Website