Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 19:12 Quote
Alright squad, went out for a ride on my sentinel v2 today and thought I’d chime in with my initial thoughts.

First, my TR background. I’ve spent a lot of time on a 2016 patrol alloy, and then a decent amount of time on a 2019 patrol carbon. I’ve also spent limited time on a 2018 smuggler alloy and 2019 sentinel alloy.

The new v2 just freaking rips! Sloppy conditions made for a unique first ride, but nearly everything about this bike is better than the bikes I listed above. Yes, I enjoyed descending more on the v2 than I did on either patrol. The get up & go on this bike is incredible and Once you let off the brakes, hang on because it’s party time!

Climbing was comfortable. 117% ;-) better than the v1 sentinel... especially going from an alloy to carbon. Rear wheel traction was superior on my patrol during climbs, but I had a coil on it and it was sloppy today so I’m sure there’s not an issue here. Tighter sections / corners were no problem once I figured out how to navigate the monster truck wheels.

The v2 isn’t a one trick shred sled anymore. She was finding all the fun lines, popping off little jibs, and floating through the corners. Can’t wait to get out for ride 2 in drier conditions.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 21:31 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
For anyone wondering about the retaining ring/C-clip, they are not needed with the link. The bearings are pressed in. With the stock link they do not affect fitment of hardware since they only contact the link and the bearings and not pivot bolts or washers. So not having them does not affect fitment in any way.

Thanks for the confirmation! Tested it today, the V1 Sentinel with the cascade link and a coil shock is such a great combo!

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 22:28 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
Alright squad, went out for a ride on my sentinel v2 today and thought I’d chime in with my initial thoughts.

First, my TR background. I’ve spent a lot of time on a 2016 patrol alloy, and then a decent amount of time on a 2019 patrol carbon. I’ve also spent limited time on a 2018 smuggler alloy and 2019 sentinel alloy.

The new v2 just freaking rips! Sloppy conditions made for a unique first ride, but nearly everything about this bike is better than the bikes I listed above. Yes, I enjoyed descending more on the v2 than I did on either patrol. The get up & go on this bike is incredible and Once you let off the brakes, hang on because it’s party time!

Climbing was comfortable. 117% ;-) better than the v1 sentinel... especially going from an alloy to carbon. Rear wheel traction was superior on my patrol during climbs, but I had a coil on it and it was sloppy today so I’m sure there’s not an issue here. Tighter sections / corners were no problem once I figured out how to navigate the monster truck wheels.

The v2 isn’t a one trick shred sled anymore. She was finding all the fun lines, popping off little jibs, and floating through the corners. Can’t wait to get out for ride 2 in drier conditions.

Nice, appreciate the initial ride review! This seems to line up with most other reviews I've seen on this bike. Better climber, more poppy, and a little more stable than the V1. It seems I can't go wrong, but I'm so torn between this bike and the V2 Ripmo.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 23:34 Quote
Have had my Sentinel for just over a week now, absolutely love it! GX build and I swapped out the forks to Factory GRIP2 ones, XTR brakes and Oneup bars and stem. Eventually will go coil with CC link but that's going to cost a few £££ so not for a while. Keen to see how the black link looks on a grey bike if anyones going to run that combo.

Transition Sentinel Carbon
Transition Sentinel Carbon

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 4:10 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:

Sounds like you would not regret your switch so far!
How does it come that you got your bike so fast?

Have fun on your new ride

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 7:20 Quote
@vonbock - my buddy rides the ripmo AF (similar to the ripmo v2) and we did some swapping on the trail yesterday and we both agreed with sentinel was a better climber, better descender, and better all around bike. I know this isn’t apples to apples for you, but could give you an idea of where to lean. I do have another guy I ride with from time to time they just got the ripmo v2 and we ride the same frame size so I plan on taking him into a swap for a climb & descent :-)

@edsev - I purchased from my local bike shop. They had one loam gold GX build kit remaining and I was fortunate enough to scoop it up!

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 10:32 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:

Thank you for another great review of the bike! Besides looking really nice, sounds like the perfect bike to me...worst about it is that the waiting time in the UK is towards the end of the year now!

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
What rear sag % are you V2 owners running at?
I'm settling in on 27-28%

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 11:22 Quote
Gbcarmona
I ordered one around a month ago was told July delivery than told August delivery was then told cannot give no date maybe sometime this year lol

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
Does anyone have first hand experience with both an SBG smuggler and aV1 sentinel?
I currently have an 18 gx smuggler that i have built up on the burly side and is my do it all bike. wondering if it would make more sense to have a beefy sentinel and try n lighten up the smuggler for trail riding or is there not much difference besides travel? thanks

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
My wife as an alloy smuggler and I have not ridden it much cause its not setup for me and its too small but I think that a beefed up sentinel and a light and snappy smuggler would be a nice setup. The ride is pretty similar but the sentinel just feels a lot more like a sled than the smuggler does. If you feel your smuggler is out classed currently then get a sentinel to add to your quiver. If you never ride your smuggler any more than sell it.

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 14:38 Quote
ALSORAN wrote:
Gbcarmona
I ordered one around a month ago was told July delivery than told August delivery was then told cannot give no date maybe sometime this year lol

From what I have been told, end of July, there is a new batch coming and then it’s end of September or October...sold out everywhere in the world apparently!

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
i've seen a few for sale on various sites.

https://www.bikefixutah.com/transition-sentinel-carbon-gx-loam-gold-m-30288124.html

who's going to get it first?! Beer

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 18:49 Quote
photo

Just picked up my Xxl sentinel. Only got a few minutes of riding before I did some frame protection. Can’t wait to get back out on it!

Posted: Jun 15, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
SquattiePippen wrote:
@vonbock - my buddy rides the ripmo AF (similar to the ripmo v2) and we did some swapping on the trail yesterday and we both agreed with sentinel was a better climber, better descender, and better all around bike. I know this isn’t apples to apples for you, but could give you an idea of where to lean. I do have another guy I ride with from time to time they just got the ripmo v2 and we ride the same frame size so I plan on taking him into a swap for a climb & descent :-)

Thanks for the info, very interesting! Would you say the climbing was better from a weight, traction, or efficiency standpoint (or all of the above). I've never ridden one, but everyone always raves about DW Link bikes and the way they climb/pedal. Strange times... I can't find either of these bikes to demo or even look at in my area.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018093
Mobile Version of Website