Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
I have had my sentinel now for a couple weeks. All I can say is wow... I am absolutely IN LOVE with this bike. I am coming from a few years riding Specialized bikes (stumpy, enduro and a stumpy evo) and this this is so good. Biggest takeaway for me is how playful it is for a bigger bike.

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
sempertoy wrote:
I have had my sentinel now for a couple weeks. All I can say is wow... I am absolutely IN LOVE with this bike. I am coming from a few years riding Specialized bikes (stumpy, enduro and a stumpy evo) and this this is so good. Biggest takeaway for me is how playful it is for a bigger bike.

thats interesting, as youve come from a stumpy alloy! what was wrong with that? have you gone alloy on this or carbon?

one thing put me off the spesh alloy was crap max insertion meaning no way of getting a decent dropper post size in!

assume the frames were similar weight if you had alloy?

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 12:36 Quote
sempertoy wrote:

In the same boat as you(alloy), bought a frame an built with my own parts (similar spec to the NX build but with shimano/TRP) Owned for a couple of weeks and its been awesome, i do find it takes more Body Movement to get it to shine - As also mentioned in the Enduro-mtb review.
It's been through 3 park days already and alot of pedaling laps, Its been left in the rain on my truck(raining while driving)
and havnt heard it complain or anything.

Posted: Mar 23, 2022 at 13:05 Quote
Random question; how would anyone rate XT 12 speed vs GX?

Thinking of giving the sentinel a spring revamp. cheers

Posted: Mar 23, 2022 at 13:12 Quote
im considering a swap to GX when my XT wears out, GX doesnt shift as nice but on previous bikes its been more durable and less fidly to get working 100%, cage lock is also a huge plus for me.

Posted: Mar 23, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
Random question; how would anyone rate XT 12 speed vs GX?

Thinking of giving the sentinel a spring revamp. cheers

XT 12s shifts smoother under load (not something to encourage imo) and runs quieter with its stronger adjustable clutch. GX is more durable and lower maintenance while still offering crisp shifting.

In my riding group everyone (including myself) who has tried XT 12s ultimately ended up going back to XT 11s or Sram 12s after having constant issues with the new Shimano stuff. The derailleurs are made of cheese and the clutch needs be cleaned and greased constantly to allow consistent shifting, and the shifters self destruct every few months.

Posted: Mar 23, 2022 at 15:06 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:

XT 12s shifts smoother under load (not something to encourage imo) and runs quieter with its stronger adjustable clutch. GX is more durable and lower maintenance while still offering crisp shifting.

In my riding group everyone (including myself) who has tried XT 12s ultimately ended up going back to XT 11s or Sram 12s after having constant issues with the new Shimano stuff. The derailleurs are made of cheese and the clutch needs be cleaned and greased constantly to allow consistent shifting, and the shifters self destruct every few months.

+1. I've had XT's almost fall off just by looking at them weird.
as above the cage lock is valuable to me as i change and test things often, the GX shifter also has a more solid feel to it IMO. Shimano's crank's are nicer and easier. - Its a common thing to see GX RD/shfiters, especially AXS on a shimano setup.

Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 0:15 Quote
whats everyone doing stem length wise?

im currently on a 35mm oneup combo with their 35mm rise bars, as ive gotten faster ive dropped the stem down for more front grip.

Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 0:44 Quote
Cheers for the feedback, annoying about the issues considering how good the shifting is, but good to know. Shame the widest range cassette on 11 spd only goes up to a 46T.

Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 0:48 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:

im currently on a 35mm oneup combo with their 35mm rise bars, as ive gotten faster ive dropped the stem down for more front grip.

Yeah I’m on a 35mm length stem with 30mm renthal fatbars with about 15mm of spacers under the stem atm. Would actually like more stack so might either buy 40mm risers or try my lyrik at 170mm instead of 160.

Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 5:39 Quote
On the GX Eagle vs XT 12 speed I don’t think there’s much in it.

I’ve got both - I think the Sram chains are better so running XX1 on both bikes. The Shimano 12 speed chains are noisy / hold the mud in and skip a bit in bad conditions.

Shift wise there’s not much in it in terms of smoothness - I think the gx shifter has a lighter action then the xt one - but I think that’s down to the mech itself. The xt one seems to have more resistance in it - particularly if the pivot gets gummed up.

Cassette wise the xt has a nicer jump from 46 to 51 m. The Eagle one I’ve got jumps from 42-50. I like the Xd driver freehub more though - as you haven’t got loose cogs going on it.

I’m happy to run either of the 12 speed options - it’s just gears really.

11 speed Shimano has an 11-50 cassette btw - at deore level m5100.

On the stem front I’m 5’9 with short ish arms and I run a medium sentinel with a 50mm Thomson stem and a 25mm rise 780mm wide carbon Brand X bar. I’ve got quite a lot of spacers under it as I like my bike to have a high front end. Currently got a 150mm travel Lyrik though - I’m going to up it to 160mm soon and move a few spacers above the stem to compensate.

Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 5:56 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:

V2 Sentinel Large with 35 stem, 20mm rise bars cut to 780 wide, 15mm under stem.
If I was to build it again, I would have gone for a 40mm stem and slightly higher bars (One Up which is the combo I have on my HT and its great).

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 10:51 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:

42mm Tenet Nora stem with 30mm rise Deity Speedway carbon bars. Recently tried 35mm rise OneUp and found them to be much more harsh than the Deity and was getting arm pump / hand fatigue far too early in the ride.

5mm bottom stack with 160mm zeb up front feels itty titty!

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 13:47 Quote
I had both Sram GX and Shimano XT 2021 Drivetrains.

To me the 2021 XT is a clear winner. The shifts are smooth and almost silent. Gx was crunchy and noisy.
XT has double down shift and it is amazing.
XT can be shifted under load. For the love of god i use this a LOT. GX breaks chains shifting under load.

GX has a better clutch and also the cage lock. The only two plus i can think of.

But Sram vs Shimano is a debate that will last forever.

Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 15:03 Quote
Was out on the hardtail tonight and the gx Eagle is far nicer than the XT at the moment. Maybe I need to tweak the cable tension on the xt / check the b screw is still correct adjustment wise. The Eagle was far more snickety tonight - really pleasurable and nice to use.

The mech on the xt is near enough brand new too - a stick jumped up and snapped the cage in half on the old one at the start of this year.

I reckon the GX Eagle mech and shifter with the ratios from the xt cassette would be the optimum setup. Sram XX1 chain and somehow a ht2 bb and crankset with a Sram x-sync 2 ring. Obviously you can’t run those rings with a Shimano crank though sadly.

I’ve got dub and gxp carbon cranks - neither bottom bracket standard is brilliant sadly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012228
Mobile Version of Website