Toro Enduro Reviews

PB Forum :: California Enduro Series
Toro Enduro Reviews
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2017 at 15:11 Quote
Just finished the 2017 Toro Enduro (sport 40). If you raced, please share your experience. Here's mine:

I did terrible and didn't have the handles for such a course. I crashed on 3 of the 4 stages. There was skill involved in this race, but it was not for me. I don't spend a lot of time riding garbage trails like those selected for this race. That said, I learned some excellent lessons and need to work on my garbage trail handling skills. Also, tires and tire pressure were very important at toro. I ran 2.3s on XC carbon hoops. They were too narrow for a wider tire so I was stuck running more pressure than desireable. I'll hopefully return for 2018 to get my revenge (after my cuts and bruises heal).

Stage 4, I twisted my stem on the steer tube and rode most of the stage with my left hand at about 10:00 to the wheel. I crashed on a straightaway - just couldn't control the wonky bars.

Stage 3, was fine and it was the stage I pre-rode it the day prior. I wasn't super fast, but managed an average time in spite of not feeling confident. Felt more confident and was able to push the bike around pretty effectively. Still wasn't digging the way my bike was handling with too much tire pressure.

Stage 2, I was told was fast and flowy, which was mostly true. I was jamming and feeling good until I tried to a berm low and lost my front wheel in some hay/dried grass. It was a pretty hard slam and I lost my chain. Got up and rode it out, but was feeling pretty busted.

Stage 1, was the cherry on top. I was flying along and just lost the front wheel after the second to last right hand switchback into the fast straightaway. It was just poor skill on my part and at this point I had zero confidence. I also didn't make the last little climb after the turn into the finish, but i was just trying to get down in one piece.

What a day. Was it fun? Yeah, of course - I love racing and trying to push my limits. However, these trails hardly could be considered enduro and every time I attempted to go fast, I ended up in the dirt. I think I lost about 2.5 minutes to these spills, but -- I know -- that's all part of racing.

I'm new to racing enduro, but have raced XC, super d and downhill. I've raced in the 2004 and 2005 sport XC national championships in Mammoth, and was on the podium a couple of times. I'll take tips, tricks, jeers, and cheers, but let's hear about your ride! See you next time!

O+
Posted: May 30, 2017 at 21:48 Quote
Sounds like an exciting day at Toro for you! I definitely wouldn't call the trails garbage or not-enduro (whatever enduro means?). Do I like China Peak, Northstar, and Mammoth better? Sure, but Toro is a lot of fun. I think it challenges your cornering, braking, and sprinting ability. Some of the stages must have averaged above 20 MPH. Consistently going that fast for an entire stage has got to be 'enduro' regardless if there are no rocks.

Sounds to me like you gave 'er too hard relative to your ability at speed on loose trails. Smooth is fast, especially when blasting through a sandy corner is a real possibility (although I didn't follow this advice very well myself, and was generally all over the place). Maybe back down a notch?

Components, tires, etc. Nope, its never the components, fast guys are fast on any bike.

Did you only practice stage 3 before the race? Obviously you can't ride at full steam if you don't know what's coming up (like that sharp right hander on Stage 1). Pre-ride it up.

Don't ask me though, I was all over the place on most of the stages.

Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 16:15 Quote
Sage advice, flagstaff. I haven't been riding loose sandy trails like Toro, so I wasn't up for it. Most of my riding the last few years has been Santa Cruz / Bay Area redwood and rock. Also mammoth and hardpack around LA and Ventura Co.

Wheels and tires are important (I get your point), but not pre riding and trying to charge was what killed it for me. I got excited and lost my head.

I rode 3 and 1 the night before. Most definitely would like to do the day over again with some experience. Of the three crashes, I'd blame one on skills (stage 1 front wheel washed out), one for being a shoddy mechanic (improperly tightened stem, tire pressure way too high and trying to ride with the wheel 4" off center) and not pre riding (crashing on 2 plus everything else).

I'm calling this race XC - I could have easy ridden a hard tail. It's enduro if you could ride a downhill bike if not for the climbing. But, it was fun and I can't wait to race there again... lessons learned. Peace.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008562
Mobile Version of Website