2018 RM Altitude

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Altitude
O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 14:32 Quote
Supposed to get my 90 tomorrow. It has been a LOOOONG wait!

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 5:18 Quote
The C90's are here! Haven't gotten to ride mine yet, I should be able to finish it up today and get it out for a ride.

18 Rocky Mountain Altitude C90

Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 9:17 Quote
jaid74 wrote:
The C90's are here! Haven't gotten to ride mine yet, I should be able to finish it up today and get it out for a ride.

This bike is so sick! Thanks for the pictures. Did you weigh it yet? What frame size?

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 10:05 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
jaid74 wrote:

This bike is so sick! Thanks for the pictures. Did you weigh it yet? What frame size?

It's a large frame. With the everything on the bike(frame tape, bottle cage, vp adventure pedals, bars/stem, and sealant) it weighed in at 29lb 2oz

Posted: Jul 27, 2017 at 12:06 Quote
Alright nice. Would like to get sub 28lbs 10 oz (13g) with a custom built. But need doubledown or supergravity tyres because of the races.. will see if this is possible.

Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 15:11 Quote
So just got to read a big Enduro test in a german Bike Magazin. They went to the MEGAVALANCHE with 7 bikes (Jekyll, Strive, Hightower LT, Yeti, Nukeproof, Spec Enduro, Altitude C90) and tested them throughout during their time in alp d'huez.

The Altitude C 90 got reviewed as "very Good" and ended up in 5th Position. Jekyll, Strive Hightower LT, Yeti got a "Great" with the Jekyll beeing the winner closely followed by the strive and the Yeti.

They stated the Altitude was one of the most playful bikes they have ever ridden and that its great fun. But they didnt put the race plate on it to ride the race because they thought the Altitude has just a not quiet enough travel for the really rough and steep Megavalanche track. It wasnt as stable on highspeed as the other bikes were. They wrote one can put it in slack mode to achieve more stableness but this minimizes travel even further, so it wasnt the right choice for the Megavalanchetrack.

I was there too and saw the guys testing the bikes and I for myself was overwhelmed with the track as well at how gnarly, fast and rough it was. I rode the track with my 2015 Trek Slash 9.8 with 160/160 and there were a few times that I thought I reached the bikes Limits or thought a bit more travel could be of Good use. So I am a bit disappointed that they stated the altitude is not that potent/burly and confirmed what I feared. I know it is still an "aggressiv trail" bike, but I shure hoped it to be a Enduro race bike, which it clearly isnt according to this test.

I am now a Little bit on the fence. I will definitely ride this race again and dont want a bike that is less burly/potent than my Slash, but then again I dont want a bike that feels "too much" 95% of the time apart from the Megavalanche...

So Slayer after all?? I think the Altitude is the most beautiful bike out there and I wouldnt use the Slayer in the bikepark, as I have a Propain Rage Carbon for this. So just buying the Slayer for the Megavalanche track while for all the other time the altitude would be enough or even the better choice...? Really cant decide *arrghhhh*

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 17:59 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
So just got to read a big Enduro test in a german Bike Magazin. They went to the MEGAVALANCHE with 7 bikes (Jekyll, Strive, Hightower LT, Yeti, Nukeproof, Spec Enduro, Altitude C90) and tested them throughout during their time in alp d'huez.

The Altitude C 90 got reviewed as "very Good" and ended up in 5th Position. Jekyll, Strive Hightower LT, Yeti got a "Great" with the Jekyll beeing the winner closely followed by the strive and the Yeti.

They stated the Altitude was one of the most playful bikes they have ever ridden and that its great fun. But they didnt put the race plate on it to ride the race because they thought the Altitude has just a not quiet enough travel for the really rough and steep Megavalanche track. It wasnt as stable on highspeed as the other bikes were. They wrote one can put it in slack mode to achieve more stableness but this minimizes travel even further, so it wasnt the right choice for the Megavalanchetrack.

I was there too and saw the guys testing the bikes and I for myself was overwhelmed with the track as well at how gnarly, fast and rough it was. I rode the track with my 2015 Trek Slash 9.8 with 160/160 and there were a few times that I thought I reached the bikes Limits or thought a bit more travel could be of Good use. So I am a bit disappointed that they stated the altitude is not that potent/burly and confirmed what I feared. I know it is still an "aggressiv trail" bike, but I shure hoped it to be a Enduro race bike, which it clearly isnt according to this test.

I am now a Little bit on the fence. I will definitely ride this race again and dont want a bike that is less burly/potent than my Slash, but then again I dont want a bike that feels "too much" 95% of the time apart from the Megavalanche...

So Slayer after all?? I think the Altitude is the most beautiful bike out there and I wouldnt use the Slayer in the bikepark, as I have a Propain Rage Carbon for this. So just buying the Slayer for the Megavalanche track while for all the other time the altitude would be enough or even the better choice...? Really cant decide *arrghhhh*

Tough decision! I just chose a slayer, not because I rode the altitude (I havent) but because I rode the slayer and decided it wasn't too big to be fun on the courses I ride on. I have a 150 travel bike now, and I appreciated the extra big that the slayer gives me (easier on the knees and back)
I am waiting for the slayer to finish being built up, and I still flip flop (wondering if I should have gone with the altitude?), but I keep reminding myself about the courses I'm typically riding (more wide open and straight, rough). I think I'll be happy overall with what i have for the next month, at least Big Grin

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 23:08 Quote
I just hammered my a70 down Rigs in Zen and Drity Jane in Squamish, both on the upper end of single black diamond I'd say, super falst n rough single trail with lots of steep tech bits. the bike was super composed through all the really rough stuff and just plain fun to ride. Didn't feel like I was lacking travel at all, but then it wasn't a race and we stopped a few times. But yah, the Altitude may not be 'the' bike to choose for a mega race, but I think it wouldn't do too badly. Otherwise the EWS crew would only ride the slayer all the time, which they don't. I bought the Altitude for the 95% times and it's been a good choice so far

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2017 at 23:28 Quote
Agreed. For me it's not an easy decision.. I plan to use the slayer as a bit of a crutch for now. If I was going with one bike only, it'd prolly be an altitude. It still may be in a few months time.

Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 3:15 Quote
Nicksen wrote:
I just hammered my a70 down Rigs in Zen and Drity Jane in Squamish, both on the upper end of single black diamond I'd say, super falst n rough single trail with lots of steep tech bits. the bike was super composed through all the really rough stuff and just plain fun to ride. Didn't feel like I was lacking travel at all, but then it wasn't a race and we stopped a few times. But yah, the Altitude may not be 'the' bike to choose for a mega race, but I think it wouldn't do too badly. Otherwise the EWS crew would only ride the slayer all the time, which they don't. I bought the Altitude for the 95% times and it's been a good choice so far

I see what you are saying and I completely agree. Its just I wanna do the MEGA again and I dont want the bike to "suffer" to much or raise the chance to crash because it has of the lesser travel.

Then again you are right that the bike will be perfect for the 95% times.

Have any of you ridden the Cavatappi trail in Finale? The Mega track is just like this withouth the tight switchbacks and a lot faster.

Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 11:27 Quote
According to the dirt test (https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-re...de-review.html), there is only 139.4mm travel in the slackest mode. It looks like position 3 would be a good compromise with 152mm travel at 65.3 HTA.

it really is time for rocky to release an explanation for the new R9 on the new Altitude.

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2017 at 11:51 Quote
I test rode a C70 a month ago and absolutely loved it. Needless to say it's on the shortlist for my next bike. As much as I liked the C70 build it's a bit over my budget of ~$4,500. I've never owned a carbon bike and it's not a make or break requirement for my next bike either... so my dilemma is should I go for the C50 build or the A70 build? The DPX2, 36 FIT4 and XT everything on the A70 build have me favoring it over the C50 but I'm wondering if I should go for the carbon.

Anyone care to give me their $0.02 on which build I should pursue?

Lastly, I'm 5' 10" with a 30-31" inseam. I rode a medium at the demo day as the large was out with someone else. I definitely felt a llittle cramped on the medium and my lower back was a bit sore after an hour or so in the saddle. Anyone with similar body dims to mine riding a medium? As it stands now I think I'd go for a large. I like a roomier bike even with my stubby legs.

FL
Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 7:24 Quote
[Quote]
Anyone care to give me their $0.02 on which build I should pursue?

Lastly, I'm 5' 10" with a 30-31" inseam. I rode a medium at the demo day as the large was out with someone else. I definitely felt a llittle cramped on the medium and my lower back was a bit sore after an hour or so in the saddle. Anyone with similar body dims to mine riding a medium? As it stands now I think I'd go for a large. I like a roomier bike even with my stubby legs.[/Quote]

I cant offer much on the Carbon vs. Aluminum debate other than for me it's the value versus weight/stiffness plus I wont be heartbroken if someone scratches my aluminum frame while loading up the truck for shuttle runs.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 8:10 Quote
Has anyone tried to put their ride 9 in position 3? when trying to slide it into this position, which is both chips pointing straight back, It seems as though the shock through hole will never quite line up properly. I can easily slide it into any other position but no mater how hard it try it wont make it into this one.

I have been riding it just in neutral and to be honest it feels perfect to me, but I wanted to play around with it and get a feel for the change and position 3 seemed like the ideal spot, but its the only one that doesn't seem to want to fit.

Anyone else have this issue at all?

On an aside this is the most fun bike ever, it is so poppy and playful and smooths out the small bumps so well. But as a result of the high small bump sensitivity it definitively bobs a lot when pedaling when the shock is full open, but if you are active with the dampening switch into trail or climb mode then there is no issue. I think if they added more to the anti squat etc then it would feel a lot more harsh and stiff in the initial stroke, and they just relied on the variable damping of the shock to really control it for climbs. Which I think was a smart move. While the Altitude is definitely no Slayer on the Downs I have never really felt like I needed that extra bit of travel, even on some local shuttle/free ride trails. That being said I would never bring it to a bike park over my Glory, even though I think it would be more fun.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 10:48 Quote
map-guy wrote:
I cant offer much on the Carbon vs. Aluminum debate other than for me it's the value versus weight/stiffness plus I wont be heartbroken if someone scratches my aluminum frame while loading up the truck for shuttle runs.

As for size, I am 5'11 with 32 inseam and find the large to be a bit of a struggle still. Wish I had tried a medium frame to know for sure. It's probably just the new longer reach and wheelbase that I cant get used to.

Thanks for the reply. At this point I think I'd go with the A70 build... weight is never a major concern of mine (I can always stand to lose a few lbs that would negate the weight difference between alu and carbon) and I'd rather go for the higher spec components.

What did you ride before your Altitude? I'm on a large Kona Precept 130 and the reach is 460 with a 1172 wheelbase. I'm running a 60mm stem. The medium Altitude has an almost identical wheelbase at 1179 but is 25mm shorter in the reach in the neutral setting. Maybe that's what was giving me discomfort? Really wish I could have demoed a large as the reach is almost identical to my Kona.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031182
Mobile Version of Website