What trail riding shoes?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What trail riding shoes?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 16:15 Quote
So I'm after some new shoes as my current ones are falling apart. They're an older garneau set, and I'm really not a fan of the rigid plastic tread and unwalkable rigidity, I've just tolerated them until they needed to be replaced. My next pair have to be walkable!

I'll be using them with some time attack pedals so they have a reasonably small platform. I do everything from general trail riding to some light downhill and jumping.

Shoes I'm looking at so far are the new Shimano ME7 or the giro terraduro. Does anyone have some ideas or can you convince me which to buy?

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 5:43 Quote
I just picked up the Shimano xm9 boots. They are very walkable. I'm loving them. I think they make a shoe version too.

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 7:27 Quote
orangenut wrote:
So I'm after some new shoes as my current ones are falling apart. They're an older garneau set, and I'm really not a fan of the rigid plastic tread and unwalkable rigidity, I've just tolerated them until they needed to be replaced. My next pair have to be walkable!

I'll be using them with some time attack pedals so they have a reasonably small platform. I do everything from general trail riding to some light downhill and jumping.

Shoes I'm looking at so far are the new Shimano ME7 or the giro terraduro. Does anyone have some ideas or can you convince me which to buy?
I'm doing the same thing right now. I have a stiff pair of Shimano XC shoes that I quite like but I want a second pair that's a little more comfortable in more situations. Pretty much decided on Five Ten Kestrel lace up. Haven't had any personal experience in them but they rate and review really well and a couple of my riding buddies have them and they swear by them. Seem like a really good mix between an XC shoe and functional shoes. Stiff enough you don't lose power but flexible enough for walking and the tread is supposed to be pretty grippy. Come in 2 color schemes and 2 lace up systems. Regular laces with velcro lace protecter and a Boa System...you'll have to look it up, I won't try to describe it. Haha. That's my 2 cents. Good luck!

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 20:06 Quote
@whezy Im picking the shoe version is the ME7 I stated earlier, they also make the AM9 but that is more downhill focused and I think the sole will be to flexy.

I was originally looking at the kestrel lace but went away from it when I saw the ME7, the kestrel's look a little bulky and I'm thinking they would get hot in warm weather. I do like the idea of a lace shoe, the ME7 has the laces on the lower portion and a ratchet for heel retention which could be the best of both worlds.

There are to many good options... think I just have to bite the bullet and pick one. I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them to be honest.

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 20:10 Quote
orangenut wrote:
@whezy Im picking the shoe version is the ME7 I stated earlier, they also make the AM9 but that is more downhill focused and I think the sole will be to flexy.

I was originally looking at the kestrel lace but went away from it when I saw the ME7, the kestrel's look a little bulky and I'm thinking they would get hot in warm weather. I do like the idea of a lace shoe, the ME7 has the laces on the lower portion and a ratchet for heel retention which could be the best of both worlds.

There are to many good options... think I just have to bite the bullet and pick one. I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them to be honest.
Right on! Whatever works for you!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011856
Mobile Version of Website